Why are barnsley better than us?

Guest Therealrealist

On 24/06/2021 at 19:15, DlNGLE said:

The funny thing is every head coach we’ve sold the next ones been better, same with players we sell players and improve the squad, why wouldn’t you want that ?. 

Yeah another great season with the new manager and one after him.  :tango: 

30 points is a great points total. lol

11 minutes ago, The coach said:

Interesting thread..used to enjoy the the realrealist’s offerings..I hope he’s still on here...allways one of the better posters 💯

From the man who cannot spell 'always'. 

Are you from Barnsley?

21 minutes ago, The coach said:

Interesting thread..used to enjoy the the realrealist’s offerings..I hope he’s still on here...allways one of the better posters 💯

He should have gone with the realrealrealist, but I hear he went with something else. 

• Haha 2

On 15/02/2021 at 10:15, KivoOwl said:

Always had a soft spot for Barnsley.

A proper town, made up of little mining communities similar to Kiveton. Proper Yorkshire folk.

Most Barnsley fans I've met have been sound as a pound (a few knuckle draggers like every club - being chased back to the station by some scrotes after an U23 game because I had a Wednesday hat on was equally frightening/hilarious)

They are a few hundred yards ahead of us on the pitch, but a mile in front off it. I know two people who work there - both left Wednesday within weeks of Chansiri arriving. One was in charge of selling executive boxes. Both big Wednesday fans. Both gutted about where we are, but more than happy with their lot at Barnsley.

I suppose a lot comes down to the luck of the draw. Most clubs sell out to foreign owners at our level now. Ours is an absolute clown who couldn't run a toffee shop and doesn't care about the fans, whereas Barnsley's seem to have their poo together and realise the importance of getting the fan base on board. In working class towns that is absolutely crucial - we're from one of the biggest working class settlements in the UK and our fans are shafted from every angle. Their owner is a multi-billionaire but refrains from hurling vast amounts at it as he knows it could affect the long-term survival of the club. They need to be sustainable.

Like Brentford, they have an actual strategy when it comes to player recruitment. It doesn't consist of 'We'll sign this player for X millions and pray to God it works'. They buy low, sell high, and invest in their infrastructure with the profit.

I wonder how much on board their fanbase is tonight?

Are they still a few hundred yards ahead on it and a million miles off it?

It seems their actual strategy has sent them down.

Chansiris tenure has been a disaster for the club with a nadir of points deduction and relegation.

This season has seen him wind his neck in to an extent and may see us go up.

But the desire off our fans to suck off other teams at times is quite funny.Especially since Barnsley had achieved nowt.

31 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Crikey, we aren't promoted yet lol

You said til were as good as Barnsley. 

Well we shall either be at the same level of them (and I'd back us to finish higher in that case) 

Or a full divison above them. 

Ages. Or less then 12 months 

• Like 2

Barnsley owners now realising football is not like FIFA on a playstation. 

Obscure managers and cheap players are generally as they sound for a reason. Occasionally lightening strikes and they come across a gem of a manager or player, but is short lived relative success.

The problem is that the moneyball approach isn't innovative anymore, most clubs' recruitment now driven by stats, which makes it harder to sign players.

They had their day in the sun, now back down to reality.

Aren't their owners meant to be crazily rich too? 

Isn't that moneyball bloke involved in the whole thing?

Their head coach was saying last night they have the lowest budget in the Champ and next season it will only be around mid-table in League One.

30 points though and currently behind a team with minus 21. That's some achievement.

It is not how rich their owners are, but how much they want to spend.

Looking at their budget they were doing really well surviving couple of years in Championship and finishing 5'th last season, uncovering and signing some great young players along the way.

It is lack of ambition that is killing them as it is impossible to replace all the quality they are selling from the club with what they are willing to spend. Banking all their eggs that each season they are going to sign couple of cheap players that will do as well as likes of  Mowatt, Woodrow, Styles or Britton did for them was never likely to work long term. They were never in position to build good side, but simply replace their best players on cheap at the start of each season. First time they missed on their targets (like with Benson from Burnley) everything fell apart.