Little things I don't like about football today

Liverpool’s success
The love in for Klopp

The fact Wednesday won’t ever have a manager as good as Klopp

Making viewers listen to the anfield Kop sing their song before kick off can happen 

Martin Tyler “and it’s live!” 

Players’ wages and ridiculous transfer fees when the world is burning 

Feigning injuries 

European football format (finishing 4th means you are in the “champions” league, europa playing on Thursday nights) 

People asking me “have Wednesday ever played in the premier league?”

• Like 2

Cheating and diving. 

It’s constant and embarrassing. 

Pundits condoning it “there was contact so he has every right to go down” comments. 

EPL and FA not having the balls to stop it. 

Auto 3 match ban and player fine would make a difference 

Edited by RichSheffWeds
  • Like 3

The Pre Match handshake line up, just get on with it.

Gobbing everywhere.

Thinking its acceptable to get in a refs face calling him every name under the sun, you wouldn't do it on the street so why is it ok on a football pitch?

WWE wrestling at set pieces.

Moving kick off times purely for the overseas TV market 

Short sleeves and gloves...

Played for the penalty

uncontested drop balls

It’s mostly financial for me.........

The price of tickets almost puts attending football out of the reach of the working man

But you can watch the footie on Sky, BT, Amazon or Ifollow if you pay their costs

But despite paying for these services they may create a new channel to show the football which isn’t covered by your subscription, you can have it of course but there’s a cost....

If you get to the ground you’re faced with a million adverts to gamble (but only if it’s fun) on the pitch side or players shirts

The size of the replica shirts (surely linked to the desperation to ‘maximise revenue’ ie make more cash) are so small that you get 12 year kids walking around as adverts for betting companies 

TV adverts at half time with live odds encouraging people to bet (but it’s Kammy & Kammy is fun so it’s ok, if it’s not fun then stop betting)

The whole set up is designed to squeeze as much cash from people as possible regardless of whether it’s ethical

Megabucks owners living the good life overseas while treating a football club as a plaything or potential moneyspinner instead of what it actually is..... a significant part of the community that brings people (of all ages/classes/gender)  together for a shared experience

Chuff off & buy a boat if you want a hobby moneybags

Pundits complaining about VAR while taking no responsibility for the years & years of minute scrutiny they gave to every single minor refereeing decision, give the ref the benefit of the doubt, they don’t want to make mistakes

Then the abuse players give referees, why anyone would want to start out as a ref is beyond me 

I hate that it’s all become so serious at junior level too, kids getting ‘scouted’ at 5 year old, let them be kids, it’s supposed to be fun, they are not cash cows for agents, it’s a game remember

The stupid stupid stupid kick off times & days (away on the south coast at 1930 on a Tuesday?!) 

What’s with all the daft patterns on the match ball? They look like something Willy Wonka would make

Anyway, despite all this I’ll probably still remain a customer 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Big Rons Hairspray said:

I hate that it’s all become so serious at junior level too, kids getting ‘scouted’ at 5 year old, let them be kids, it’s supposed to be fun, they are not cash cows for agents, it’s a game remember

This is a good point. My younger brother (a lot

younger than me) would finish a game and we would have “scouts” asking if he would train with academy teams.

They would ask every kid who had a good game to train at Reading or Swindon. He was even invited to Southampton. 

They took it so seriously that he gave up on the game. They completely killed his love of the sport and he was a really talented player. 

Discussing diets for a 7 year old and banning him from playing with his mates. Madness. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Manwë said:

- Diving, cheating and general bad sportsmanship.

- Demanding perfection from referees, ie, human beings.  And then complaining about having VAR.

- Having 4 blokes with 12 cameras and 5 minutes at their disposal criticising a referee for "getting it wrong" in a real time decision.  

- Criticising the referee when they make the right decision (but resulting in us not getting a penalty).

- Players wages.  Even someone on £3k a week earns several times the average person in the stands.  Someone on £30k a week earns 50x the average fan in the stand.

- U23/Development squads (and subsequent transfers to that squad).  

- Football grounds named after sponsors.

- Lack of respect shown for the FA Cup (and I know why)

- The EPL; the whole thing was a grubby and greedy power grab.  

- Shirts without collars.

- Owners with no connection with their club (other than owning it).  

- Agents.

- Clubs paying the agents fees of the players.

- Ticket prices that price out the poorest.

Taking their clubs abroad ,then coming back with covid.and saying (I'm sorry)

• Like 2

Taking corners outside the quadrant, always used to be inside.

Squad numbers.

Home shirts not being worn away when no colour clash.

9 bloody substitutes !

VAR 

Most tackles being deemed as dangerous 

Players salaries

I could go on all day tbh 

• Like 4

The predictable arrogance of certain players who believe they deserve to be bracketed in an 'oh so special  super star' status and be able to make what they feel is a personalised gesture with their hands (usually in the shape of a heart) after scoring a goal.

The need for ALL managers and hangers on in the game to have their initials on their training jackets, but I applaud the deputy assistant to the lead joint manager of the under-6s, who might do it out of a sense of self mockery.

6 hours ago, Owls-Fan said:

Liverpool’s success
The love in for Klopp

The fact Wednesday won’t ever have a manager as good as Klopp

Making viewers listen to the anfield Kop sing their song before kick off can happen 

Martin Tyler “and it’s live!” 

Players’ wages and ridiculous transfer fees when the world is burning 

Feigning injuries 

European football format (finishing 4th means you are in the “champions” league, europa playing on Thursday nights) 

People asking me “have Wednesday ever played in the premier league?”

Top post mate.  Definitely get the last one asked all the time.  Either that, or “what league are Wednesday in now?” By supposed football fans.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/01/2021 at 13:20, sternlad said:

Coloured football slippers are detestable and plasticy.

Much preferred the Adidas 2000, Puma Kings (love a long tongue), Timpson Shooting Stars (red or blue stripe), Ours (French brand) really soft leather, but we must never forget the old Adidas Intersago (built for soft pudding pitches)

Timpson Shooting Stars were the equivalent of strapping your feet into blocks of concrete.

If ever you managed to raise your foot off the ground and kick the ball, it would take a few days and a couple of bus rides to get the ball back.

Having said that, I had a few pairs of these and if you chucked them away, they would be back on the doorstep the following morning.

• Haha 1

The loss of the Central League 

Not being allowed to tackle

The stupid hand ball rules

Throw ins (there should be a time limit on taking them) 

Subs taking ten minutes to put their kit on

Soft penalty decisions for top six teams. 

etc

etc

etc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1