Little things I don't like about football today

Bit late to the party on this one but this is something we discuss regularly. I have avoided some of the popular issues (VAR, politics in sport, Money etc.) But focussed on some of the smaller issues which constantly wind me up and I believe could be fixed quite easily:

Diving 

The only “dives” that seem to get discussed are when players are running at full pace. Any slight contact or even someone stepping across your path while running at full pace can bring you down so these do not really bother me. For me, a much bigger crime is players standing with their backs to an opponent and simply collapsing to gain a free kick and referees seem to fall for it every single time (Preston being the absolute masters of this.) Some recent matches where this has been the prime tactic have been literally unwatchable.

Time-Wasting and Game-Clock

Any slight issue during stoppage time and ref’s are playing an additional 8-9 minutes instead of 6. Players trying to see the game out have absolutely no clue how long the referee intends to keep going. I much prefer the rugby approach to this; get rid of stoppage time and just stop the clock for game stoppages like player injuries and subs etc. Play to a hooter on 90 minutes (or what the adjusted timing may be) and the game ends when the ball next goes out of play. 

“Head Injuries”

Players who go down holding their heads tactically to get the game stopped (usually when the opposition is in a good attacking position). I think it was Burton we played at home a couple of seasons ago; Brayford and Mcfadzean must have collapsed holding their heads 10 times between them to stop our attacks. I remember seeing the Ryan Mason incident live and more recently Raul Jimenez and a genuine head injury is clear; players stop instinctively without the ref needing to tell them. I have some sympathy for ref’s on this one as they are just following directive and they would be crucified if they ignored a serious head injury but the incentive to get the game stopped for a fake head injury somehow needs to be removed. 

Kicking Ball Away

Players constantly kicking or throwing the ball away or even picking it up and carrying it 10 yards and dropping it to the floor in front of them when the opposition are awarded a set-piece. Simple solution – as soon as the referee awards a set-piece, an opposition player is booked if they touch the ball.  

Stadium Alcohol Restrictions 

I actually do not drink but the restrictions around alcohol in grounds really get me. The half time rush that is created by fans needing to race onto the concourse, queue for the majority of half time, pack out unfit for purpose concourses and then down a beer as quickly as possible to get back for the second half. I see absolutely no reason why drinks cannot just be carried out to the stands the same as for Rugby. With the weak, watered-down beers served in football stadiums at £4-£5 a pint it must be near-impossible to drink enough to result in anyone becoming “anti-social.” An outdated regulation which is potentially highly dangerous; I am amazed there has never been a major crush at places like QPR during the half-time free-for-all. 

Away Ground Policing/Stewarding

Football fans pay a premium for tickets these days and are automatically treated like criminals at some grounds. We have been forced to adapt and behave while some police and stewards want to throw their weight around and act like we are still in the 1970’s. Add to this stewards and police who spend all game staring at (and filming) away crowds while home fans spend the entire game goading and gesticulating behind them. 

And breathe.. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, ReginaldD said:

Gambling companies as shirt sponsors, really don't like how widespread it is 

Top post.

Much of this is subliminal and we don't realise the presence or the impact.

Isn't there supposed to be a ban on TV advertising gambling whilst games are still in progress? Shirt sponsorship gets around this (potential) ban anyway.

Many years ago I had a conversation with a top PL and international player at a meeting in London. I asked what he thought about kids wearing replica kit with alcoholic drinks logos on their shirts. He couldn't answer.

And if anyone says "advertising doesn't work" , tell that to the firms who do it. It's a big industry in the UK with an annual spend of $29bn (Source: Statista)

• Like 1
Guest Bulgaria
On 11/01/2021 at 11:34, Big Rons Hairspray said:

The size of the replica shirts (surely linked to the desperation to ‘maximise revenue’ ie make more cash) are so small that you get 12 year kids walking around as adverts for betting companies

Never thought about that.

Great point.

Guest Bulgaria

Fans that get brainwashed by owners and managers that the cups don't mean anything.

To us fans they fuucking do!!!!!

I might be alone in this but I hate how when a big team scores against a lower league team (in the cup, for example) more often than not, players are too "cool" to celebrate as if they are not worthy opponents.

Find it rather patronising against the smaller clubs. 

• Like 1

Not every contact is a foul FFS !!!!!!

All the skipping , skyward pointing and tattoo kissing when entering the pitch.

This generations seeming inability to say a word that contains more than two syllables , making footballer , fut bla

Players attempting something out of the ordinary or flashy being labelled as "disrespectful" to their opponents...WTF !!!!

All the identikit tika taka academy players insisting on making EVERY pass along the floor............even when it will quite obviously be cut off....CUS ITS ON THE FLOOR.....................do yourself a favour and go watch a John Sheridan DVD and learn how to develop a "little pitching wedge"

• Like 1

- Standing on the kop

- Affordable ticket prices

- Players who can't kick a football from a set piece into an 18 yard box

- gloves. Even worse when it's not even cold!

- lack of songs for players before kick off (England's number 1 for Chris Woods, you'll never beat Des Walker etc that sort of thing)

- Severe lack of flat caps 

- the bird who used to sit next but one to me in the 2003-4 season

8 hours ago, Musn't Grumble said:

Top post.

Much of this is subliminal and we don't realise the presence or the impact.

Isn't there supposed to be a ban on TV advertising gambling whilst games are still in progress? Shirt sponsorship gets around this (potential) ban anyway.

Many years ago I had a conversation with a top PL and international player at a meeting in London. I asked what he thought about kids wearing replica kit with alcoholic drinks logos on their shirts. He couldn't answer.

And if anyone says "advertising doesn't work" , tell that to the firms who do it. It's a big industry in the UK with an annual spend of $29bn (Source: Statista)

Agree that's a very good video and very impactful. 

I'd only argue that getting rid of gambling advertising in football completely (which they seem to imply) is probably a bit to much. On the advertising boards I don't see a problem. How many kids genuinely get absorbed by that? But I would like to see the advertising off the shirts. That's something they love to have and wear all the time. It's the thing they see on every player in every match whether in the stadium or on the TV. It should go.

On 11/01/2021 at 18:30, thewookieisdown said:

The FA Cup draw. Much better done by obscure officials not celebs. More importantly don't tell us which ball different clubs are. 

This!!! Why the buggery do they do that?!! I wonder who came up with that stupid idea?

This is one of the few threads when I’ve agreed with nearly every post.

Diving

Refs not adding enough time at the end of a game after time wasting, substitutions etc.

Refs allowing players to steal ground at free kicks and throw ins (is it just me but every team seems to do this more than we do).

The current interpretation of the  handball law.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, owls66 said:

I might be alone in this but I hate how when a big team scores against a lower league team (in the cup, for example) more often than not, players are too "cool" to celebrate as if they are not worthy opponents.

Find it rather patronising against the smaller clubs. 

This can be a difficult one to be fair.  If Tottenham celebrated their fist goal against Marine like a cup final winner, they may well have got slated, just like the USA Womens team did when they scored their 13th the other year.  Still think they should look happy though, like Reachio did at Blackburn lol

"nobody told me there would be days like these!"

15 hours ago, sheriwozgod said:

Not every contact is a foul FFS !!!!!!

THIS too

21 hours ago, max_7654 said:

Diving 

"players standing with their backs to an opponent and simply collapsing to gain a free kick and referees seem to fall for it every single time (Preston being the absolute masters of this.) Some recent matches where this has been the prime tactic have been literally unwatchable".

Very much this, its not a foul to stand behind someone and be backed into.  If players do fall to the ground then the opponent should be allowed to tread on their fingers as they escape with the ball!

Players dropping to the floor and rolling around holding their face if they get so much as the slightest hand contact above the neck. 

Imagine doing that in your local pub, you'd be a laughing stock and would never be able to show your face in there again. 

• Like 1

Blatant time wasting in general, but I'm proper annoyed by the recent trend, which only seems to have started in the last 5 years or so, for a keeper on the winning team who makes the simplest of catches and then drops to the floor on his front and just lays there for a bit. Hacks me off even if it's our keeper doing it. 

• Like 1