Little things I don't like about football today

I might be alone in this but I hate how when a big team scores against a lower league team (in the cup, for example) more often than not, players are too "cool" to celebrate as if they are not worthy opponents.

Find it rather patronising against the smaller clubs. 

• Like 1

Not every contact is a foul FFS !!!!!!

All the skipping , skyward pointing and tattoo kissing when entering the pitch.

This generations seeming inability to say a word that contains more than two syllables , making footballer , fut bla

Players attempting something out of the ordinary or flashy being labelled as "disrespectful" to their opponents...WTF !!!!

All the identikit tika taka academy players insisting on making EVERY pass along the floor............even when it will quite obviously be cut off....CUS ITS ON THE FLOOR.....................do yourself a favour and go watch a John Sheridan DVD and learn how to develop a "little pitching wedge"

• Like 1

- Standing on the kop

- Affordable ticket prices

- Players who can't kick a football from a set piece into an 18 yard box

- gloves. Even worse when it's not even cold!

- lack of songs for players before kick off (England's number 1 for Chris Woods, you'll never beat Des Walker etc that sort of thing)

- Severe lack of flat caps 

- the bird who used to sit next but one to me in the 2003-4 season

8 hours ago, Musn't Grumble said:

Top post.

Much of this is subliminal and we don't realise the presence or the impact.

Isn't there supposed to be a ban on TV advertising gambling whilst games are still in progress? Shirt sponsorship gets around this (potential) ban anyway.

Many years ago I had a conversation with a top PL and international player at a meeting in London. I asked what he thought about kids wearing replica kit with alcoholic drinks logos on their shirts. He couldn't answer.

And if anyone says "advertising doesn't work" , tell that to the firms who do it. It's a big industry in the UK with an annual spend of $29bn (Source: Statista)

Agree that's a very good video and very impactful. 

I'd only argue that getting rid of gambling advertising in football completely (which they seem to imply) is probably a bit to much. On the advertising boards I don't see a problem. How many kids genuinely get absorbed by that? But I would like to see the advertising off the shirts. That's something they love to have and wear all the time. It's the thing they see on every player in every match whether in the stadium or on the TV. It should go.

This is one of the few threads when I’ve agreed with nearly every post.

Diving

Refs not adding enough time at the end of a game after time wasting, substitutions etc.

Refs allowing players to steal ground at free kicks and throw ins (is it just me but every team seems to do this more than we do).

The current interpretation of the  handball law.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, owls66 said:

I might be alone in this but I hate how when a big team scores against a lower league team (in the cup, for example) more often than not, players are too "cool" to celebrate as if they are not worthy opponents.

Find it rather patronising against the smaller clubs. 

This can be a difficult one to be fair.  If Tottenham celebrated their fist goal against Marine like a cup final winner, they may well have got slated, just like the USA Womens team did when they scored their 13th the other year.  Still think they should look happy though, like Reachio did at Blackburn lol

"nobody told me there would be days like these!"

21 hours ago, max_7654 said:

Diving 

"players standing with their backs to an opponent and simply collapsing to gain a free kick and referees seem to fall for it every single time (Preston being the absolute masters of this.) Some recent matches where this has been the prime tactic have been literally unwatchable".

Very much this, its not a foul to stand behind someone and be backed into.  If players do fall to the ground then the opponent should be allowed to tread on their fingers as they escape with the ball!

"nobody told me there would be days like these!"

Players dropping to the floor and rolling around holding their face if they get so much as the slightest hand contact above the neck. 

Imagine doing that in your local pub, you'd be a laughing stock and would never be able to show your face in there again. 

• Like 1

Blatant time wasting in general, but I'm proper annoyed by the recent trend, which only seems to have started in the last 5 years or so, for a keeper on the winning team who makes the simplest of catches and then drops to the floor on his front and just lays there for a bit. Hacks me off even if it's our keeper doing it. 

• Like 1

On 10/01/2021 at 13:11, Striggy said:

I'm getting on a bit now and although I probably look at my long experience of watching football through tinted specs and a failing memory (many things were actually rubbish back in the day) lots of little things really annoy me about the game today.  I'm not going to moan about the big things, high ticket prices and obscene footballer salaries, its the little more trivial things.  I will start with a few of mine, some of which have already been mentioned and discussed in other threads but thought we could round 'em all up here.

• Subs not been ready prepared to come on, in the old days, whip your tracksuit top off and your ready to go
  • Long sleeve under garments under short sleeved tops
  • Coloured football boots
  • Not wearing your first strip away when no colour clash

They are not really important in the great scheme of things, just don't like 'em.  What are yours?

No one could possibly disagree with these

• Like 1

Guys purporting to be professional footballers when in reality they would struggle yo get in my local pub team.

Professional footballers (including internationals) that cannot use both feet FFS!

Grown men on a football pitch falling down if you as much as breathe on them (even when you have not had garlic!)

I could go on.    🤬