Little things I don't like about football today

The FA Cup Draw and the 'Selected Numbers' just show all the teams numbers.

The offside rule  , just put the offside  flag up straight away and don't wait to see what happens later.

Managers like Warnock who before the game say , today we are playing the World Champions , if they win they say we have just beat the World Champions but if they lose they say we should have won that they were crap !

A lot of the things listed are actually quite big things stemming from the revolution in finances. 

Two little ones from me. 

Branding of competitions. That stupid jingle played at Champions League matches. Premier league grounds all having the same dugouts (which no longer are dug outs). 

The FA Cup draw. Much better done by obscure officials not celebs. More importantly don't tell us which ball different clubs are. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, thewookieisdown said:

A lot of the things listed are actually quite big things stemming from the revolution in finances. 

Two little ones from me. 

Branding of competitions. That stupid jingle played at Champions League matches. Premier league grounds all having the same dugouts (which no longer are dug outs). 

The FA Cup draw. Much better done by obscure officials not celebs. More importantly don't tell us which ball different clubs are. 

I used to love not knowing which teams number was, some old FA crusty number 5 then looking at Ted Croker who is it Ted

On 10/01/2021 at 13:17, S36 OWL said:

Squad numbers 

More than three subs

Players wearing gloves 

Diving

VAR 

Stupid kick off times 

Players wearing alice bands 

Stupid coloured boots 

Assistant refs - they are LINESMEN FFS 

Totally agree

22 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

A bit embarrassing for the part timers if they can't beat a team on the floor.

Fairly sure it’s because every time they’d lay on the floor, the ref would give them a ball and let them have a free kick 

On 10/01/2021 at 14:30, davey_wells said:

Players who place the ball blatantly outside the quadrant for a corner kick.

Can never really understand why a couple of inches upset people so much.

What advantage does really give?

Why do people get so irate over corner kicks being fractionally outside the quadrant but quite

happily accept players taking free kicks and throw-ins yards from the correct position.

This winds me up far more than an inch or two at a corner kick.:wacko:

• Like 1

astronomical wages That is when the rot set in, when players lost the love of the game  , players overruling management if they can't get there own way and getting them sacked  var , just destroys the game , , soon be four quarters like the American rubbish  parachute payments , And most of all the lay off for the International England games ,

• Like 1

Gloves...I just don't get it.

I've played on frozen rutted pitches all around Sheffield, some that hard your studs sounded like you were on concrete....never, not once, did I think I could use a pair of gloves to ease the cold.

Someone told me once it's the fashion......fashion ffs.....can you imagine Mike Lyons ever wearing gloves, he wore stitches he had put in while waiting to come back on.

• Like 1

Bit late to the party on this one but this is something we discuss regularly. I have avoided some of the popular issues (VAR, politics in sport, Money etc.) But focussed on some of the smaller issues which constantly wind me up and I believe could be fixed quite easily:

Diving 

The only “dives” that seem to get discussed are when players are running at full pace. Any slight contact or even someone stepping across your path while running at full pace can bring you down so these do not really bother me. For me, a much bigger crime is players standing with their backs to an opponent and simply collapsing to gain a free kick and referees seem to fall for it every single time (Preston being the absolute masters of this.) Some recent matches where this has been the prime tactic have been literally unwatchable.

Time-Wasting and Game-Clock

Any slight issue during stoppage time and ref’s are playing an additional 8-9 minutes instead of 6. Players trying to see the game out have absolutely no clue how long the referee intends to keep going. I much prefer the rugby approach to this; get rid of stoppage time and just stop the clock for game stoppages like player injuries and subs etc. Play to a hooter on 90 minutes (or what the adjusted timing may be) and the game ends when the ball next goes out of play. 

“Head Injuries”

Players who go down holding their heads tactically to get the game stopped (usually when the opposition is in a good attacking position). I think it was Burton we played at home a couple of seasons ago; Brayford and Mcfadzean must have collapsed holding their heads 10 times between them to stop our attacks. I remember seeing the Ryan Mason incident live and more recently Raul Jimenez and a genuine head injury is clear; players stop instinctively without the ref needing to tell them. I have some sympathy for ref’s on this one as they are just following directive and they would be crucified if they ignored a serious head injury but the incentive to get the game stopped for a fake head injury somehow needs to be removed. 

Kicking Ball Away

Players constantly kicking or throwing the ball away or even picking it up and carrying it 10 yards and dropping it to the floor in front of them when the opposition are awarded a set-piece. Simple solution – as soon as the referee awards a set-piece, an opposition player is booked if they touch the ball.  

Stadium Alcohol Restrictions 

I actually do not drink but the restrictions around alcohol in grounds really get me. The half time rush that is created by fans needing to race onto the concourse, queue for the majority of half time, pack out unfit for purpose concourses and then down a beer as quickly as possible to get back for the second half. I see absolutely no reason why drinks cannot just be carried out to the stands the same as for Rugby. With the weak, watered-down beers served in football stadiums at £4-£5 a pint it must be near-impossible to drink enough to result in anyone becoming “anti-social.” An outdated regulation which is potentially highly dangerous; I am amazed there has never been a major crush at places like QPR during the half-time free-for-all. 

Away Ground Policing/Stewarding

Football fans pay a premium for tickets these days and are automatically treated like criminals at some grounds. We have been forced to adapt and behave while some police and stewards want to throw their weight around and act like we are still in the 1970’s. Add to this stewards and police who spend all game staring at (and filming) away crowds while home fans spend the entire game goading and gesticulating behind them. 

And breathe.. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, ReginaldD said:

Gambling companies as shirt sponsors, really don't like how widespread it is 

Top post.

Much of this is subliminal and we don't realise the presence or the impact.

Isn't there supposed to be a ban on TV advertising gambling whilst games are still in progress? Shirt sponsorship gets around this (potential) ban anyway.

Many years ago I had a conversation with a top PL and international player at a meeting in London. I asked what he thought about kids wearing replica kit with alcoholic drinks logos on their shirts. He couldn't answer.

And if anyone says "advertising doesn't work" , tell that to the firms who do it. It's a big industry in the UK with an annual spend of $29bn (Source: Statista)

• Like 1

Guest Bulgaria
On 11/01/2021 at 11:34, Big Rons Hairspray said:

The size of the replica shirts (surely linked to the desperation to ‘maximise revenue’ ie make more cash) are so small that you get 12 year kids walking around as adverts for betting companies

Never thought about that.

Great point.