How many of your friends/family support Sheffield Wednesday?

3 hours ago, sternlad said:

I think I was destined to stay a Wednesdayite from about the age of 11 as all my school mates were wednesdayites too. A few of them were in the Mosborough supporters club so I used to get on their coaches to away games as well like an fa cup tie at Tottenham and a replay at Villa against Crystal Palace I think.

Also Albert Clayton was our Ridgeway Boys manager and he used to take me and other lads all over watching Wednesday around 1969/72..Anfield, Old Trafford, Maine Road, Bolton, Notts County, Florist, Hull, Leeds. Great bloke Albert, saw him at mother’s funeral and just before she died when I was up there visiting.. still spinning a good yarn about following the Owls when he was younger. 
He’s  in that book “Wednesday every day of the week”.

Spoke to you about Albert before.

Saw him the other day and hes fine. Same old Albert !

• Thanks 1

Mums family was 8 ..6 brother 2 sisters....out of that family of 10...9 were Owls...just the 1 rogue Uncle....

(Lived on John St behind The Lane...Grandad would only let 'em in to watch cricket)

That rogue Uncle took me to my first ever football game...It was at the Lane!!!...(Yes I know but I was f.ookin' 5)

The other 5 brothers heard about it , and 4 of them descended on the house the follwing week to have "A word"... with me mum

Me Mother wasn't exactly a shrinking violet and had a reight go back...My Uncle Vin (The rogue)...kept away for a bit....

Following week (According to me mum cos I can't recall)...3 of the 4 brothers arrived on tthe Saturday morning...armed with scarf, rattle and rosette for me...took me to Hillsborough..and did it all that season!!...although they still told me mum I was "Tainted" and it might tek some time

Funnly enough. this affected me mother...and she stood on the Kop with me many a time...Even dragged me Dad there, who was Irish an' couldn't give a flyer.

I'm proud to say I never gave me own kid a chance...and he was at Hillsborough before he could walk...same with the Grandkids...ALL Wednesday..Ive got mates who are Blades...but the majority are Wednesday

• Love 2

My two brothers are Crystal Palace season ticket holders and my sister is a Gooner. I’m regarded by them as a bit odd, but, every now and then, I meet someone else who’s an Owl.

I live close to Brentford’ s ground - so lots of my friends support them, Other friends support a variety of different clubs - among them are Fulham, West Ham, Chelsea and Liverpool.

• Love 1

Two of my three sons are Owls the third is Man U( he used attend games there.)Missus comes over with me every couple of years to keep the peace and to be fair she enjoys the trips. I started to follow in 1958 and there is one primary school pal who blames me for his addiction. He travels over twice a year with his son as well.

It's a bit like an insurance policy really, following Wednesday, death is necessary for pay out.lol

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Greengrass said:

Spoke to you about Albert before.

Saw him the other day and hes fine. Same old Albert !

Great! Glad he’s ok, he was just about to clear out of his workshop at Rutland Road when I saw him, sad that his dads business no longer viable.

• Like 1

Great thread and suppose it shows how different we all come at it.

Not being a Billy Topper but my great grandad mentions 'the Wednesday' in his diary from 1901 when he was sailing to SA in the Boer war. He died at Ypres in 1915. My grandad never was a fan though so there was a break.

Both sides of my family are Wednesday from way back - proper factory fodder - we clearly didn't move around much. Wife's family are all Wednesday too.

Got one Blade by marriage in the wider family. Nice lad, bless him.

I'm a Wednesday fan, as are my two sons-in-law and two brothers-in-law. Other brother in law switched from us to them a while ago, (yes, I know) possibly under the influence of one of his sons who is your archetypal pig.

More worryingly my eldest grandson, when asked what his favourite team was, kept saying "United". Must have been some influence at nursery...

Anyway. His num and dad wanted to buy him his first footy kit and he was still insistent he liked "United" so they bought him a Man Utd shirt. I didn't wholeheartedly agree but surely that's better than supporting the grunts. Isnt it?

Personally, if he didn't want a Wednesday shirt, I wouldn't have got him anything but he is only 5. And he gets everything he wants from his parents... worrying for the future.

No history of football supporting in my family.  I took both my nephews and other peoples kids to see Wednesday but none of them have maintained much of an interest although if pressed they would say they look for our results. My wife was a West Ham supporter when I met her and went to local games, Sheffield, Nottingham, leicester etc. to see them.

It's amazing how many Wednesday "followers" are out there though. I've usually got a badge or a lanyard on and lots of people comment saying they're Wednesday fans (lapsed).  Other clubs fans always comment favourably too. Just last week, a Port Vale fan, a Notts County fan and a West Brom fan did just that. Mind you a Derby fan also said we've got a right player in Jack Marriot !

Dad’s side of the family are all Arsenal, Mum’s side are all Palace. Friends at school were a mix of Palace/Charlton, the other bigger London clubs, or the glory-hunting Liverpool and Man Utd fans.

Nearly all my friends now are Arsenal, and my fiancée’s family are all West Ham.

At work it used to be heavily weighted in favour of Man Utd, but it’s all changed in recent years. Definitely mostly Arsenal now, a couple each of Spurs/ManUtd/Liverpool, one Villa, one Burnley, one Man City, and the cleaner is proper old-school Millwall.

Despite growing up in Surrey I occasionally met other Owls, but only ever once met a Blade.

Only my dad (now dead), which is why I support Wednesday.

Living in Kent I don't even know another owl, although I used to work in London and go to Mabel's (home of the London Owls) when Wednesday were on sky - great atmosphere.

Started going to my local non league team this season (now suspended) who delitefully I think have scored the most league goals in the country, currently on 60 in 11 games...

7 hours ago, Southie_Owl said:

I’m a Wednesday fan 

Dad is a Cardiff/Liverpool fan

Mum is a Cardiff/Saints fan 

Sister is a Man Utd fan 

Brother in law is a Liverpool fan 

In-laws are Brighton fans 

Pretty standard stuff really.. 

Got me beat there, can only presume your parents were not born in Sheffield, i had to follow my dad no questions asked.

I’m the only Wednesday fan! Son Liverpool,  friends, when I lived in Teesside - Boro, ( I did get some hassle in those days, but I was strong when following the Owls  in 70 - 85). Now in Chester, my mates

at walking football all follow the big four MU,MC,Liverpool and Everton, the good thing is they always have a good word regarding Wednesday!