BREAKING NEWS - EFL VERDICT - 12 POINTS

6 minutes ago, modboy said:

can it not be increased?

It can be increased to 21 points.

Personally I think both side will take the 12 points - EFL could appeal to have it increased too.

Given that the original hearing date was set for after the season (it's only because of covid that it was in season)  I think it would have been very harsh to have relegated us.  I think we should just suck it up - 46 matches to make up the 12 points.

• Like 2

I see Charlton are considering a legal challenge and want the points deduction applied to this season. I think the key word here is considering. If they are serious they'd better get on with it. Doubt they'll splash the cash in their present predicament. If Wigan are successful in their appeal it won't matter to them anyway, so it'll be more likely another episode of Barnsley threatening to do so.

48 minutes ago, wellbeaten-the-owl said:

There was the arbitration in January/ February time where we contested the lawfulness of the charges, following which the individual charges against the directors were dropped

That's correct - as far as we know. A statement on 27 December said that club was proceeding with its arbitration claim against the EFL that the charges issued by the EFL were unlawful and the process of appointing the arbitrators was underway and that no step woulld be taken in the disciplinary case, if at all, until the arbitration was resolved (https://www.swfc.co.uk/news/2019/december/club-statement__/#:~:text=The Club is proceeding with,until the arbitration is resolved.) Did the arbitration actually go ahead? Everbody has been very tight lipped about  it. The only thing we know is that the disciplinary case did eventually go ahead in June and that in March the personal misconduct charges against officers of the club had been dropped (https://www.swfc.co.uk/news/2020/march/club-statement-2032020/). Reading between the lines (I don't see why we couldn't have been informed) it appears that we lost the arbitration case, allowing the disciplinary case to go ahead, but that some charges were thrown out. But we'll never know until we get a full explanation. Maybe the Independent Disciplinary Commission decision, if it's ever published, will contain information about the arbitration as background to the disciplinary case.

48 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

This will be reduced on appeal I’m sure of it. 

The EFL may appeal the decision to find us not guilty of acting in utmost good faith towards the EFL & the decision to apply the minus 12points next season. 

Saying we've nothing to lose by appealing isn't correct. We could end up in a worse position.

They're not really gunning for us in particular, could have been any team in this situation They're just desperately trying to stay in the championship and I don't blame them. The whole thing is a complete mess and not sure what the outcome will be. We were in the wrong and have received our punishment, all we can do is wait for any appeals to be submitted.

51 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I think so too

I also think we'll not put in our appeal until the very last day possible

Absolutely we have to play them at their own game, make sure there is insufficient time to change things for this season. Charlton are canvassing support of other clubs which to be honest is very distasteful. Surely if DC finds evidence of clubs emailing the EFL asking for immediate relegation, is that not an offence to try and pre prejudice an independent hearing, that is still on going.

• Like 1

Charlton gathering support for their position is rather classless. They, as a third party, with no clear right to appeal a decision of the independent panel, should be respecting the league's disciplinary procedures that have found us guilty and imposed the sanction as they saw fit. 

No fan should want this to turn into a legal bun-fight further than what it has been. It'll only ruin the game further. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53637173

Can’t say I’m surprised in truth. Any reason we should be treated any differently to Birmingham? The Championship season isn’t officially over until tonight after the playoff game. So many grey areas we don’t know the answers to and probably never will. 

Charlton are rightly aggrieved and any Wednesday fan worth their salt would be lying in my if they said it would be different if the boot was on the other foot.

I don't know of any right in the laws of the game that allows third party appeal. Third party appeal is far from a universal right. 

They can try to sue the EFL if they wish, but the EFL themselves have followed the procedures set in their rules. The decision is legally tight as it is made within the correct procedure, even if they disagree with the outcome. The main problem they have is that there is no definition of when a punishment should be applied for an offence that took place years ago. They might argue that it should be this season to their benefit, but that can be easily argued the other way. All clubs against us next season have an advantage. That carries equal weight. 

• Like 1