BREAKING NEWS - EFL VERDICT - 12 POINTS

Guest everydays_wednesday
5 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Nixon saying on Twitter if we don’t appeal then other clubs can’t appeal? 

This would be my preferred option just to pee off Charlton and the other eight clubs who are supporting them.

5 minutes ago, mogbad said:

No they don't, the only parties that can appeal the Independent Disciplinary Panel decision is the EFL & SWFC. They could try suing the EFL.

That’s what I said above, they have every right to challenge the EFL on their lack of consistency in their rules - not commission decision. It could all get very messy.

I understand that Charlton and their 8 mates will be peering in from the window. As the matter is between SWFC, the EFL and the independent panel with no third party right of appeal. But presumably if either party appeals this which the EFL will probably do, then the others get a say. But isn’t the adminstrative cut off point for the season mid August anyway?

2 minutes ago, Swiss Toni said:

That’s what I said above, they have every right to challenge the EFL on their lack of consistency in their rules - not commission decision. It could all get very messy.

The maddest thing about is it that SWFC and Charlton are one of the EFL

The clubs ARE the EFL

lol

Owlstalk Shop

3 minutes ago, Swiss Toni said:

The EFL will possibly appeal to protect themselves from others but not sure where the timings come into that. With covid 19 delaying things then you’d think normal timeframes would be out the window and considered that way legally 

Id love to be a fly on the wall at the forthcoming EFL meeting 

Edited by Bluesteel
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Swiss Toni said:

They have every right to appeal. There’s no reason we should have been any different to Birmingham in terms of when the points deduction came into effect. The season doesn’t finish until tonight so the can feel rightly aggrieved.

Wigan is different because the rules clearly state administration incurs a 12 point penalty.

Disagree with this. If it weren’t for coronavirus the season would have ended ages ago, meaning they would have no choice to give us the penalty next season. 

• Like 1

I really don't understand why so many owls believe Charlton have a case. The facts are the hearing was always scheduled for June, in that case the points were never going to be applied this season as the season would be over in may. The only reason it isn't is because of Covid. There also has to be time allowed for an appeal.

The offence happened two seasons ago, so why should that benefit Charlton this season. In that respect do they really believe selling the ground in 2017 benefitted us this season. From what I can see we've tried to balance the books more the last 2 seasons and most of the players signed in the splash the cash days have either left or not played a part this season, certainly not influenced it much. Maybe with the exception of Fletcher.

Edited by Lemi_the_owl
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, cardiffowl06 said:

They are a member of the league and bound by the rules. Should they disagree they should propose changes to the game. They cannot wish to change things retrospectively to their benefit. 

Coming from SWFC this approach might be considered a bit rich...

"Oho!" said the pot to the kettle;
"You are dirty and ugly and black!
Sure no one would think you were metal,
Except when you're given a crack."

"Not so! not so!" kettle said to the pot;
"'Tis your own dirty image you see;
For I am so clean – without blemish or blot –
That your blackness is mirrored in me."

Edited by kobayashi

38 minutes ago, Swiss Toni said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53637173

Can’t say I’m surprised in truth. Any reason we should be treated any differently to Birmingham? The Championship season isn’t officially over until tonight after the playoff game. So many grey areas we don’t know the answers to and probably never will. 

Charlton are rightly aggrieved and any Wednesday fan worth their salt would be lying in my if they said it would be different if the boot was on the other foot.

For one Birmingham had plenty of games remaining when received their punishment.

Second and most important is the appeal process which unless neither party appeals won't conclude until AFTER next season starts

8 minutes ago, S W F C said:

Disagree with this. If it weren’t for coronavirus the season would have ended ages ago, meaning they would have no choice to give us the penalty next season. 

There’s a flip side to that too. They could have sorted it quicker too without coronavirus.

23 minutes ago, cardiffowl06 said:

Again, they don't.

They are a member of the league and bound by the rules. Should they disagree they should propose changes to the game. They cannot wish to change things retrospectively to their benefit. 

I agree the EFL is as clear as mud. Parachute payments and FFP are a joke. 

So why haven’t top sports lawyers come out and said they can’t sue or appeal?

Hope this means an overhaul of the EFL and rules with more transparency. This could trundle on until pre season.

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Even this could be argued as our season finished but the Championship season hadn’t. I’m just putting myself in the shoes of a Charlton or Barnsley fan (thinking if it were us instead). We’d fight it too and the fans would be up in arms, not saying oh well never mind. 

3 minutes ago, Swiss Toni said:

So why haven’t top sports lawyers come out and said they can’t sue or appeal?

Hope this means an overhaul of the EFL and rules with more transparency. This could trundle on until pre season.

Probably because top sports lawyers rarely say anything? They let judgements and case law speak.

Just now, Swiss Toni said:

Even this could be argued as our season finished but the Championship season hadn’t. I’m just putting myself in the shoes of a Charlton or Barnsley fan (thinking if it were us instead). We’d fight it too and the fans would be up in arms, not saying oh well never mind. 

It clearly states after the completion of the clubs final fixture. We aren't in the play-offs.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1