BREAKING NEWS - EFL VERDICT - 12 POINTS

37 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

But we're not the only club to do this, and frankly if you're not a United, a Leeds, or a parachute club then it's what you have to do.

We've only been in with a shout of promotion for the last 5 years, although we've been down for twenty.

You have to have a go, lie fallow for several seasons if you fail, then have another go.

When Chansiri came here he knew absolutely nothing about football...and he probably wouldn't have bought us if he had.

I'm not saying that where we are isn't to some extent down to Chansiri, but we have to share some of the blame too.

Before he even arrived we rejected Warnock, which was probably the biggest clanger of all.

How many fans have come on this site and admitted that they were wrong about Colin?

How many have admitted that they were wrong about Gray, or at least wrong about chuntering about not playing exciting, attacking football?

The naive Dejphon thus went out and bought a cartload of forwards and left the defence to moulder.

Then there's the signing of Rhodes.

At least some of our financial problems are down to him, and there weren't many who didn't want him signing at the time.

Chansiri once again gave the fans what they wanted.

I don't believe for an instant that Chansiri hasn't learnt from this, and quite possibly next time he'll get it right.

We need to appeal the points deduction, sack Monk, but most of all get the club blessed.

Because any luck that's going in this city in recent times has been going over the road.

That's about as objective an appraisal of the situation as asking a 13 year old girl for a critical analysis of her favourite pop star.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

But we're not the only club to do this, and frankly if you're not a United, a Leeds, or a parachute club then it's what you have to do.

We've only been in with a shout of promotion for the last 5 years, although we've been down for twenty.

You have to have a go, lie fallow for several seasons if you fail, then have another go.

When Chansiri came here he knew absolutely nothing about football...and he probably wouldn't have bought us if he had.

I'm not saying that where we are isn't to some extent down to Chansiri, but we have to share some of the blame too.

Before he even arrived we rejected Warnock, which was probably the biggest clanger of all.

How many fans have come on this site and admitted that they were wrong about Colin?

How many have admitted that they were wrong about Gray, or at least wrong about chuntering about not playing exciting, attacking football?

The naive Dejphon thus went out and bought a cartload of forwards and left the defence to moulder.

At least some of our financial problems are down to him, and there weren't many who didn't want him signing at the time.

I don't believe for an instant that Chansiri hasn't learnt from this, and quite possibly next time he'll get it right.

We need to appeal the points deduction, sack Monk, but most of all get the club blessed.

Because any luck that's going in this city in recent times has been going over the road.

May I ask why the fans have to accept part of the blame? 

• Like 2

Guest Grandad
2 hours ago, Athelwulf said:

Chansiri went for it.

If it goes right then he's a hero, if not he's a villain.

And, but for Hooper's injury, there's every chance it would have worked.

We'd no youth policy (not his fault), so he had to buy in.

^^ I got that far and stopped reading - assuming the rest of what you posted was similar ballcocks. Not read your subsequent posts either.

Under Mandaric we invested in the Academy and it achieved Category Two status in 2013.

https://www.swfc.co.uk/news/2013/july/owls-achieve-category-two/ 

1 hour ago, Athelwulf said:

I agree with the idea of going for broke and giving it a go then having to refresh for a season or two. The problem is that refresh never properly happened and now we are paying a big price for it. What we should have done after season 2 was sell a couple of our assets for decent fees which may have kept us within P&S and prevented us from what we are facing now.

On the subject of Rhodes, a fair few fans were concerned that we were spending so much on a striker when our priorities where elsewhere at the time, and even bigger concern that we spent big money and big wages on 2 strikers in the same window. 

Plenty of fans were crying out for Rhodes though you are right, however, those fans weren't privy to the financial risk and outlay that the signing was costing us, they might have thought different if that was the case.

5 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I agree with the idea of going for broke and giving it a go then having to refresh for a season or two. The problem is that refresh never properly happened and now we are paying a big price for it. What we should have done after season 2 was sell a couple of our assets for decent fees which may have kept us within P&S and prevented us from what we are facing now.

On the subject of Rhodes, a fair few fans were concerned that we were spending so much on a striker when our priorities where elsewhere at the time, and even bigger concern that we spent big money and big wages on 2 strikers in the same window. 

Plenty of fans were crying out for Rhodes though you are right, however, those fans weren't privy to the financial risk and outlay that the signing was costing us, they might have thought different if that was the case.

Exactly.

And even if those fans would have still wanted us to complete such a crazy deal, it shouldn't make one iota of difference as they're not the ones running the club.

It's baffling that we're having to point this out to certain posters on here.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

Why have other clubs like Forest, Sheffield United, Preston, Brentford not to sell their ground and don have parachute payments?

Sheffield United football club hasn't owned their ground for a number of years. Until the poundland prince took over it was owned by Sheffield United Holdings or similar, a company owned by the McCabes in much the same way as Hillsborough is owned by a company owned by DC.

• Like 2

Guest Mcguigan
15 hours ago, Grandad said:

^^ I got that far and stopped reading - assuming the rest of what you posted was similar ballcocks. Not read your subsequent posts either.

Under Mandaric we invested in the Academy and it achieved Category Two status in 2013.

https://www.swfc.co.uk/news/2013/july/owls-achieve-category-two/ 

That was more to do with the renaming of the academy structure than any real investment from MM.

Clubs with Centre of Excellence status became either Cat 3 or 4 academies and the the clubs with academy status already were graded 1 or 2. 

With little investment, we were always going to be a Cat 2 academy. 

Guest Grandad
Just now, Mcguigan said:

That was more to do with the renaming of the academy structure than any real investment from MM.

Clubs with Centre of Excellence status became either Cat 3 or 4 academies and the the clubs with academy status already were graded 1 or 2. 

With little investment, we were always going to be a Cat 2 academy. 

Rewriting history. 🙄

18 hours ago, Athelwulf said:

Chansiri went for it.

If it goes right then he's a hero, if not he's a villain.

And, but for Hooper's injury, there's every chance it would have worked.

We'd no youth policy (not his fault), so he had to buy in.

And we were the ones wanting exciting, attacking football after Gray's stodge, so he bought accordingly.

The big offers we had for our players were at a time when we were in for promotion, and the only clubs who could afford them were our rivals.

So we sell FF to a rival and he scores the winning goal in a semi or a final (which he would have done).

"Typical Wednesday, we're finally in with a chance of promotion and Chansiri sells to a rival!", would have been the cry.

Ditto the stadium business, in that we were in with a shout at that time.

Managerially he finally gets it right with fatso, who duly stabs him in the back.

Unless you're outrageously lucky enough to get a Wilder, or have the history to get a Bielsa, then you have to gamble.

At least Chansiri had a go, and it's not his fault that this club is blighted.

I'd seriously dispute that opening sentence.

In truth we did neither one thing or the over.

We spent enough to put our selves in trouble if it didn't come off, we spent on players we didn't need and missed the obvious gaps that were begging to be addressed.

We didn't do a Wolves and chuck millions upon millions at PROVEN footballers from across Europe.

I would honestly say it was more half arsed than going for it.

Edited by Blue and white
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, mogbad said:

Sheffield United football club hasn't owned their ground for a number of years. Until the poundland prince took over it was owned by Sheffield United Holdings or similar, a company owned by the McCabes in much the same way as Hillsborough is owned by a company owned by DC.

So they haven’t sold it to help their promotion have they, which was the point of the reply. 

4 minutes ago, Essix Blue said:

We forced DC to sign Rhodes - DC has said as much himself 

To be fair, at the time we needed a goalscorer and as I recall was general positivity about Rhodes and his record, widely debated on here as being the missing link to help our promotion bid. 

Think what DC eluded to was the fact that at the time, fans were also wanting the Rhodes deal to happen. 

Just now, striker said:

To be fair, at the time we needed a goalscorer and as I recall was general positivity about Rhodes and his record, widely debated on here as being the missing link to help our promotion bid. 

Think what DC eluded to was the fact that at the time, fans were also wanting the Rhodes deal to happen. 

We had just signed Winnall who had a great recent record in this division. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, striker said:

I genuinely can't think of where this clamour for Rhodes from our fans existed?

It certainly wasn't on social media or forums  that's for sure - there was no real mention of Jordan Rhodes at all just before he was signed

So how did the Chairman see/know that the fans were wanting Rhodes to sign for Sheffield Wednesday? Where did he get that information from?

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, Essix Blue said:

As I said, at least 6 championship clubs are supporting them in this 

I can't see them appealing it, getting heard, and getting a verdict before next season starts though can you?

Surely that alone would mean it's a pointless exercise to try it?

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I genuinely can't think of where this clamour for Rhodes from our fans existed?

It certainly wasn't on social media or forums  that's for sure - there was no real mention of Jordan Rhodes at all just before he was signed

So how did the Chairman see/know that the fans were wanting Rhodes to sign for Sheffield Wednesday? Where did he get that information from?

Sure there was a fairly lengthy thread on here when we were linked? (You will know better than me). 

My interpretation was DC's comment after the event, Rhodes having been welcomed when signed.