BREAKING NEWS - EFL VERDICT - 12 POINTS

1 minute ago, Swiss Toni said:

Even this could be argued as our season finished but the Championship season hadn’t. I’m just putting myself in the shoes of a Charlton or Barnsley fan (thinking if it were us instead). We’d fight it too and the fans would be up in arms, not saying oh well never mind. 

Could be argued the opposite direction also. If it wasn't for Covid-19 the season would have been completed months ago and thus the sanctions would have been next season.

Charlton need to sort their own backyard first IMO. Absolute sh*t show for years.

Just now, Swiss Toni said:

Would certainly help. We get none from our footballing bodies.

But it isn't anyones job to provide a professional judgement (and stake their reputation by even making an opinion) on something they care little for and aren't getting paid to do. 

1 minute ago, swfcGibbo said:

Could be argued the opposite direction also. If it wasn't for Covid-19 the season would have been completed months ago and thus the sanctions would have been next season.

Charlton need to sort their own backyard first IMO. Absolute sh*t show for years.

It also means the commission would have been able to sort our case quicker. Swings and roundabouts.

23 minutes ago, Swiss Toni said:

Odd how the commission waited until this time though, eh?

I really do think if we'd have picked up enough points after the restart to avoid relegation with the points deduction, they would have applied it this season and not deferred it.

• Like 2

maybe fines are the way forward rather than points deductions.

Perhaps for every pound you overspend that is then distributed amongst the other clubs (who stay within the limits) or grassroots, even for those promoted.

Deducting points for an owner being ambitious is wrong.

• Like 3

Guest wilyfox

I can understand why Charlton are peeved. Not sure what they hope to achieve from their challenge though. If they think it'll be turned on it's head so we're relegated instead of them...ain't gonna happen. 

What with the coronavirus situation and the difference between the tv income in the Championship and League 1, I can fully understand why Charlton are exploring every possibility of staying in the Championship - if the situations were reversed I'd expect Wednesday to do the same.

As they weren't part of the EFL's case they can't appeal the IDP's decision. As a member of the EFL they've asked for the rationale behind our punishment being applied next season not this (which presumably the EFL already has from the IDP). Whilst also garnering support from other EFL members.

I'm guessing their aim is to get the backing of sufficient clubs so the EFL are effectively forced to appeal the IDP's decision as (say) 50% of their members don't agree with it.

40 minutes ago, modboy said:

maybe fines are the way forward rather than points deductions.

Perhaps for every pound you overspend that is then distributed amongst the other clubs (who stay within the limits) or grassroots, even for those promoted.

Deducting points for an owner being ambitious is wrong.

They are already planning the exact same thing if and when the salary caps come into force.

• Like 1