RIP Jack Charlton

He was a great bloke. A true man of the people. A down to earth Geordie from a mining family with no pretensions and no edge to him. I was a part time steward for a while and once wandered in to the ground as Big Jack was coming out. “MORNING” he boomed at me. I was so amazed that he actually acknowledged me, a humble part time steward, I could only squeak “morning” back in response. Away at West Ham I went with a mate who said he had been promised two match tickets by one of the players. We went to pick them and the man who brought them to us out of the away dressing room was Big Jack himself. Unfortunately they turned out to be for the West Ham end and we had to spend the whole game with our mouths firmly shut. Thanks Big man for some great memories both from your time as a player for England and our manager.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

RIP.

His period at Wednesday was before my time, but following the fortunes of his Ireland team in the '94 World Cup is something I'll never forget.

He always came across as a lovely character whenever I saw him on TV - the kind of bloke you could listen to talk football all day long.

I've quoted the above because I couldn't word it any better.

Have fond memories of watching the 94 World Cup with my Grandad, who was Irish. 

Good times.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 33 said:

Not sure why my Big Jack Matters thread has been pulled... be nice to understand.

Anyway hope Wednesday are playing in black armbands today.

I stand corrected...

It was moved and conjoined in this thread.

Apologies.

RIP Big Jack

• Like 1

Now that is a huge loss. Brilliant for Wednesday, Brilliant for Middlesbrough, Brilliant for England ,

Brilliant for Ireland and Brilliant for humanity in general .

Wednesday have loved and lost a legend.

It would be nice to do it for Jack today .

• Like 1

Walking down Wadsley Lane holding my Dad’s hand, nerves trembling with excitement. Down the hill towards the glow of the floodlights. Sweet cigar smoke, hats and gloves on to see Jack Charlton’s aces.

38669876-7ECD-4789-83A6-10FCBCBA7F3B.jpeg

Edited by goldensmoke
  • Like 3
  • Love 3

8 minutes ago, Danish said:

I've quoted the above because I couldn't word it any better.

Have fond memories of watching the 94 World Cup with my Grandad, who was Irish. 

Good times.

Likewise. I don't know why, maybe because of my age at the time, the World Cup '94 is something I remember as the best times and I followed Ireland very closely then.

• Like 1