RIP Jack Charlton

36 minutes ago, goodytheowl said:

Heard the other day that whenever he went into a pub In Ireland he’d buy the whole room a drink and everyone he was with, every pub he went in.....then said he didn’t have any cash and could he write them a check.....which they always accepted but framed it behind the bar so they never got cashed 😂😂

Apparently, and sadly, this is a myth that’s been debunked by Jack himself. 

23 hours ago, Bramhall Owl said:

I was in pieces on Saturday. Jack was a true giant in every sense of the word.

These days, one can be a legend by coming back from the bar with the right bag of crisps but there aren't many people who are a genuine legend with at least 4 sets of fans....Leeds, England, Wednesday and Ireland (how many fans were hoping that Ireland would do well due to Jack being in charge). He may well have similar status at Middlesbrough as well

I know us oldies go on about the job that he did and I'm  sure the youngsters think we exaggerate how bad things were when he took over, but I'm not. Regular gates of under 10k, no money, we'd just managed to avoid relegation to div 4 in 1976 and we were bottom of Div 3 in October '77 and looking like we were in for another long struggle to avoid the drop (and possible oblivion). Lord knows how Bert McGhee persuaded Jack to take the job but he did. For a season and a half, there'd been a stabilising of things on the pitch but then....boom, along came the FA Cup and the Arsenal 5 game epic. Pride in the club was restored in the space of 2 weeks and we suddenly realised that things were on the up. In strode a swaggering Terry Curran (how did Jack persuade him to sign for us?) and we started to fancy our chances next season.

1979-80 is etched deep in the annals of the club's history, in  particular 26 Dec 1979, as we finally returned to Div 2 in  front of over 5,000 fans at Exeter. Continual strengthening of the team culminated in a near miss in 81/82 (6 pts clear with 5 games to play and we blew it in typical Wednesday fashion) and a cup run to the semi in 1983. This was something that didn't happen to Wednesday, our only involvement with semis was hosting them.

I started following us away in the promotion season and we were all 'Jackie Charlton's blue and white army' and I enjoyed 4 great season following us the length and breadth of the country as he moved the club into, what was for me, unchartered territory. The vast majority of managers outstay their welcome and are usually hounded out by fans as results start to deteriorate. Not Jack, he knew when to leave and we all wanted him to stay and finish the job of getting us back to the promised land.

A few years later I was privileged to meet him at a dinner in the mid 80's where he'd been the speaker. I couldn't resist seeking him out to thank him for what he'd done, he looked at me with a glint in his eyes and said 'aye, they were good days'.

Thanks for the memories Jack, RIP

Lovely stuff,

• Like 1