RIP Jack Charlton

Very sad news. A humble, honest and brilliant man and an amazing leader.

Didn't over think the game. Get good players, play them in the position they are best suited to, keep them fit and happy, build loyalty and commitment by trust.

• Like 5

Guest mkowl

The impact he made on Sheffield Wednesday can never be forgotten.

For a young kid like me at the time, bitten by the Wednesday bug our starting point was the worse season 74/75, a save our skins game in 76, the Save Our Owls local campaign. We heard our fathers talk about the past, but it wasn't in front of our eyes.

We were also told about England winning the World Cup legends the lot of them. We saw this chap Jack Charlton on TV, he had won the World Cup.

Suddenly he was going to be our manager.

As a 9/10 year old kid it was like why would he come here.

What he did was galvanise a team, a club, a support to believe in Sheffield Wednesday once more. For kids like me it was that the stories from our history we were told were achievable.

Boxing Day
Promotion
Cup runs
Cup semi finals
Year on year getting better

He laid those foundations that built the teams of the 80s and 90s.

So I will mourn his passing but much more I will remember this legacy  

4 minutes ago, Hughdowd said:

Brilliant memories of a Great manager and a great man .......Grew up with his team  as my hero’s .......Andy McCullough ...Terry Curran ....Jeff Johnson ...Tony Toms ....great days ........Never forget the home match when he only came to watch and became our manager the same day !!!....Exeter away ..clinching promotion!!......RIP Big Jack 

He sat in the North stand with his wife and fans rather than in the director's seats - wanted to get the real low down on the club.

Just legendary actions from a proper manager.

• Like 3

Big Jack will always be a legend to me and all the Wednesdayites around at the time he was our manager. What he did for this club when we were at our lowest, dragging us up by the bootstraps and putting pride and hope back into the club shall never be forgotten. R.I.P. Jack.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Guest mkowl
4 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

We owe  Big Jack so much for what he did for our club. The perfect and fitting way to honour him is to rename the North Stand "The Jack Charlton Stand" 

No manager has ever done more for our club than this man. 

Certainly a yes from me. The famous story of course is that the Club made an approach and he wasn't sure. 

He decided to sit in the North Stand 

He was persuaded by the fans around him - by their attitude and passion despite the dire situation.

Guest Jack the Hat

RIP Big Man.  Big Jack was my first manager. I went to the summer training school he used to hold with Maurice setters and pretty much all the players. Only TC didn’t used to go. Big Jack and Maurice taught me how to head a ball. At the end he presented me with a certificate and a badge. I’ll never forget any of that. stand out manager and a top bloke as well.