RIP Jack Charlton

Absolute legend, did so much for us, the game and football - particularly with his brilliant Ireland team.

He's a quote from his autobiography about deciding to manage Wednesday:

In that moment, the prospect of a new career with Sheffield Wednesday looked anything but inviting. It would mean going from a job with a First Division club to the third division - with the exception of Tommy Docherty not many managers have done that. Fortunately or otherwise, the phone rang before I'd had too much time to dwell on it. It was Roy Whitehead again, and this time he started by telling me that Len Ashurst had quit. 

I said I'd think it over, and perhaps go and have a chat with them. So together with Pat, I went and bought two tickets to watch them play Brighton. They won the game 2-1, but without putting too fine a point on it - they were blóódy awful!

One or two of their players could go a bit, but compared to the group I'd left behind at Middlebrough, the rest were nondescript. After the game we wandered across to meet the club directors and I was introduced to the club chairman, Bert McGee. A nice fellow was Bert, but like everyone at Hillsborough, I reckon he was pretty close to his wit's end at that point, trying to save a club that once commanded so much respect.

Oddly enough, I've never been attracted to a club that was top of their division or even close to it. Perhaps that's down to the fact that when you inherit success, so much more is expected of you. That kind of pressure certainly didn't apply in this instance. Perhaps it was the realization that we could only move in one direction that attracted me. Anyway, before I left the ground that evening, I'd agreed to them I would take the job and guaranteed them that I would stabilize their rocky boat.

What we would give for another Big Jack today. Up the Owls.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, shez owl said:

As a kid I just idolised him, I was too young to understand what he was doing to revitalise us but He was the reason swfc became a religion to me. 

Same here only a kid but was like a hero, a Charlton at wednesday, world cup winner. Gave the whole club a lift and raised the profile again.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sleepy Joes Cafe said:

The club should rename the north stand in his honour.

sorry if it’s been said before in the thread

It should be the Kop named in his honour as that is where he would have stood!

• Like 2

He'd have loved that game today. Fitting that we get a win at QPR for him, as I remember a comment from Jack that stuck with me for all these years after we won 2-0 at Loftus Road in the early 80s, when their manager had given us some stick for the style of play.

"We didn't come here to entertain your fans, we came to entertain ours and they've gone home very happy" 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Its hard to put into words what Jack Charlton means to me. He came to our club and all of a sudden we were on the news, in the paper and relevant again. It wasn't easy been a Wednesday fan in the 70's but when Jack turned up and sat in the North Stand the sun came out. I don't know where we would be if it wasn't for Jack and in my life we haven't had a manager get near to him. He was a working class man and understood what football meant to working class lads and managers like that are few and far between these days. Cup games against Arsenal, Boxing Day promotion out of the depths of despair, an FA Cup Semi Final, Terry Curran, Tony Toms, Maurice Setters, Ian St. John Mick Lyons, Gary Bannister, a balding Yugoslavian, Andy McCulloch a night on the moors, what great days. I never loved football more than when he was at the club, five years of memories and five years that will last a lifetime. The football stars are burning brighter tonight, but for those of us of a certain age the sun's gone out. Oh, and he won a World Cup too.

• Like 8

Tight lines Jack.

Grabbed this club by the scruff of its neck and slowly but surely imposed his way on the club.

He understood the game, the players, the support and his own ability.  
Top man on every level.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Steve Down South said:

Shame about Match of Day tribute - according to them he managed Sheffield United.

I was just going to post about that. Hardly a surprise that anything outside the realm of those top few clubs is something they are barely aware of. But in the internet age, it's not exactly difficult to do a bit of fact checking.

• Like 2