RIP Jack Charlton

1 hour ago, steelowl said:

Before my time as a fan, but shows winners menality in that interview. He didnt blame anyone else for missing out on promotion with Wednesday, but himself.

Always loved his co commentary of games on itv sport.

The 90s  Blackburn Semi final sticks out in my  memory today. When Sheridan scores, Big Jack declares "Hes one of my players" for the Republic of Ireland.

RIP a TRUE Club and England Legend

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Danish said:

I've quoted the above because I couldn't word it any better.

Have fond memories of watching the 94 World Cup with my Grandad, who was Irish. 

Good times.

Funnily enough, so was mine, which is another part of what made that tournament so memorable.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, FinnishOwl said:

Likewise. I don't know why, maybe because of my age at the time, the World Cup '94 is something I remember as the best times and I followed Ireland very closely then.

I was age 10 and although England were rubbish and frustrating, Wednesday were still doing well and Ireland captured the imagination  especially in over coming Italy.

• Like 2

Oh Big Jack - so happy when you decided to join Wednesday.

Resolved "Our Lowest Ebb" situation -

Always your own man in the best possible way.

What we'd give now for someone with your presence.

Even forgave you for the 8-0 Boro drubbing.

RIP.

• Like 2

Of an age that as a kid I started supporting Wednesday in our promotion season 79/80 under big Jack. My main early memories relate to Wilkinson’s reign but Jack is someone who lived and breathed football and Wednesday and our fans will always be grateful to him. RIP big man.

• Like 1

An Irish Legend too. I recall buying the Irish World Cup anthem for the Italia 90 World Cup as well as England World in motion anthem that year.

You had to admire the work rate and ethos of his Irish team, with Sheridan in midfield back then.

Big Jack could even Rap.

• Like 1

Some of my happiest Owls memories are from following the club home and away with my brother during the Big Jack era. Huge character who built a team of characters. What would we give for a Charlton/Setters management team today?

Oh and by the way a World Cup winner ! Some people are just irreplaceable.

Rest in peace and thank you so much Jack.

• Like 1