RIP Jack Charlton

RIP Big Jack

truly saddened today,  over the years I've loved hearing stories about him. As a very young fan at the time what he truly did went over my head. But ever since I've always loved reading about his escapades.

will be missed my many

• Like 1

Just now, Animis said:

can you imagine Jack and Tony Toms discussing 'red lines'

Players saying they’re tired !!!!!.... don’t want to get injured !!!!.....scared of the crowd !!!!!....I need more rest time between matches !!!!!.....F##K ME ....Tony Toms and Maurice Setters would have gone berserk 

• Like 5

Really sad news, and what a legend for Sheffield Wednesday, England, the Republic of Ireland, and Leeds United. As a player and as a manager achieved great things, yet remained a no nonsense, down to earth, genuinely lovely man (though i would want to have got into his bad books!) 

Rest In Peace BIG JACKIE CHARLTON, WEDNESDAY FOREVER

Edited by alcock dived
  • Like 3

I used to watch his football training programme on ITV on Sunday morning from Middlewood.

Some cocky kid in a circa 79 replica pig kit got a ball in the nuts from one of BJ's wayward shots - BJ sort of apologised but secretly I think he loved it. I know I did!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Jack Charlton Effect

For my 11th  Birthday my grandfather arranged a visit to the ground for me.   My first meeting of Mr Charlton was him falling through the door Of his office arse over ********.  Howling with laughter at himself.   When he stood up he was a giant to man to an in awe 11 year old.   He was amazingly friendly took my under his wing and I had the day if my life.   Travelled in his car.  Blue Ford Cortina with Ian Portafield and Tony Toms.  Jack was funny, no airs and graces and just amazing to talk to.   I stood with him on the training pitch.   Travelled back to the ground with him and he made sure all the players were available to sign autographs etc.   He also came back and said bye before I left.    Although an owls fan at 11.  It was his fault I fell utterly in love with Sheff Wed.  I still remember it so clearly 41 years later.  What a man 

RIP Jack.  Thank you from a young lad with a lifetime of memories.   

• Like 3
  • Love 6

2 minutes ago, Roscoe P. Coltrane said:

Get rid of those elephants

A statue of this man deserves to be outside the ground.

Totally agree mate, if anyone deserves a statue at this club then big Jack is at the top of that list. I'm surprised how shocked and saddened i am by this news about someone i never met, but this has hit me harder than i expected and prooves to me the measure of the man: RIP LEGEND

• Like 2
  • Love 3

Wednesday legend.

Fishing legend.

A sad, sad, sad, day.

Thanks for rescuing our club and putting it back on the map like you did Big Jack. You gave people hope and joy in equal abundance.

I hope as the club moves forward, it can rediscover the essence of the Big Jack formula. Hard work, honesty on the pitch, the understanding and value of “team” and more importantly the value of family, which certainly Sheffield Wednesday is. It certainly felt like it was during your tenure at Hillsborough anyhow.

God Bless you Big Jack.

Edited by theowlsman
  • Like 3
  • Love 5

A month or so after his appointment, we attended a presentation at the ground for our summer football camp thing in Hillsborough park.  After getting our photo took in the gym we walked around the back of the South stand and BJ was walking to the players' entrance - about 20 of us ran down shouting 'Jack' for him to sign our complementary programmes.

He stopped and signed everyone's and asked us what we were there for and started telling us to keep training, working hard and listen to the coaches etc. This went on for about 10 mins - we were just in ewe of this giant man in front of us.

• Like 3