RIP Jack Charlton

5 minutes ago, scram said:

I don't normally get too precious about that kind of thing tbh - more mildly irritated 

But whoever did the research and allowed that utter tripe to end up in the final cut wants sacking

This is way more than many players sadly passing

This is one of only 11 Englishmen ever to win footballs greatest and most coveted prize

And if they cannot be bothered to pay him due respect then they should be kicked out in disgrace

One f*cking job you utter piece of shyte

One job...

This. The bbc has well paid researchers to support their output. They've had all day to look into his career. The 10pm news had a in depth leading article on Jack's career. The only omission? Yep, his 6 years at Swfc. Then you've got that luvvie Lineker, an ex England player. You'd think he'd have the awareness and knowledge of where jack managed in his time. It wasn't a long list you morons. 

• Like 1

Dragged our club from the absolute abyss of the old fourth division and sent us on a completely different path.From annihilating the scum on Boxing day after taking Arsenal to 5 matches then taking us to promotion  in 1980 and then getting to the semi final in 83. Absolute legend that turned our club right back round and if only for a bit more cash would probably have sent us to the 1st division. 

No better manager in my 40 years of watching Wednesday and a proper genuine bloke. 

• Like 4

Was talking with my dad tonight. Dad used to work at Law Brothers. Did quite a few jobs on big Jack's Range Rover back in the day. Said the boot was amazing, absolutely rammed half full of fishing gear, and half full of football kit. 

He also mentioned how the boys at Law Bros. used to pop off for an lunchtime pint. Often the pub they were in Jack and Ian St. John would rock up. Always had time for everyone and would always talk to anyone about anything Wednesday. 

I personally only remember Jack Charlton from '94, but my dad had nothing but praise. Do wish we had more like that in today's football. RIP.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Jack was a man of his time,immortalised by his contribution to english football as one of the "boys of 66" English footballs finest day,and the lynch pin of a fine Leeds side that won honours at home and abroad.

And later in management he achieved the "double" of fine player and manager,leading both Middlesborough ( with the free scoring John Hickton) & us to promotion,and the Irish national side to a sucessfull world cup campaign.

His contribution to the club we love was a noteable one,a club on its last legs,no money,large debts,empty stadium,poor squad,but Jack wheeled and dealed to get the right blend,and put the club back on a sound footing,and left a team we ALL had pride in,sheffield born players ran through the squad,and we had a team that could lift our expectations

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Jack Charlton was a great footballer and a great football manager, but more than that he was a great man. He always had time for the fans, for a friendly word, some banter, maybe even a pint (or two) and made sure that those around him (players support staff etc.) did too. 

It's easy to give money when you have it and some are blessed with more of it than others, but we all are pushed when it comes to time and Big Jack always gave freely and generously of his.

The fact that there are so many warm tributes to him not just on here but from all over the footballing world speaks far more about the character of the man than anything else.

I just hope that we can create a lasting tribute for him at Hillsborough and whilst I love the idea of a statue of him fishing in the Don, my own personal thought is that renaming the North Stand after him with statues of both him and his wife Pat, sat where they were in the North Stand on that fateful day in October 1977 would be far better, after all, it's where his story at Wednesday all began.

• Like 5
  • Love 2

19 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

I just hope that we can create a lasting tribute for him at Hillsborough and whilst I love the idea of a statue of him fishing in the Don, my own personal thought is that renaming the North Stand after him with statues of both him and his wife Pat, sat where they were in the North Stand on that fateful day in October 1977 would be far better, after all, it's where his story at Wednesday all began.

Whereabouts did he sit? I don't want a statue of him in front of my seat with the size of him, I'd never see a thing! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bramhall Owl said:

I was in pieces on Saturday. Jack was a true giant in every sense of the word.

These days, one can be a legend by coming back from the bar with the right bag of crisps but there aren't many people who are a genuine legend with at least 4 sets of fans....Leeds, England, Wednesday and Ireland (how many fans were hoping that Ireland would do well due to Jack being in charge). He may well have similar status at Middlesbrough as well

I know us oldies go on about the job that he did and I'm  sure the youngsters think we exaggerate how bad things were when he took over, but I'm not. Regular gates of under 10k, no money, we'd just managed to avoid relegation to div 4 in 1976 and we were bottom of Div 3 in October '77 and looking like we were in for another long struggle to avoid the drop (and possible oblivion). Lord knows how Bert McGhee persuaded Jack to take the job but he did. For a season and a half, there'd been a stabilising of things on the pitch but then....boom, along came the FA Cup and the Arsenal 5 game epic. Pride in the club was restored in the space of 2 weeks and we suddenly realised that things were on the up. In strode a swaggering Terry Curran (how did Jack persuade him to sign for us?) and we started to fancy our chances next season.

1979-80 is etched deep in the annals of the club's history, in  particular 26 Dec 1979, as we finally returned to Div 2 in  front of over 5,000 fans at Exeter. Continual strengthening of the team culminated in a near miss in 81/82 (6 pts clear with 5 games to play and we blew it in typical Wednesday fashion) and a cup run to the semi in 1983. This was something that didn't happen to Wednesday, our only involvement with semis was hosting them.

I started following us away in the promotion season and we were all 'Jackie Charlton's blue and white army' and I enjoyed 4 great season following us the length and breadth of the country as he moved the club into, what was for me, unchartered territory. The vast majority of managers outstay their welcome and are usually hounded out by fans as results start to deteriorate. Not Jack, he knew when to leave and we all wanted him to stay and finish the job of getting us back to the promised land.

A few years later I was privileged to meet him at a dinner in the mid 80's where he'd been the speaker. I couldn't resist seeking him out to thank him for what he'd done, he looked at me with a glint in his eyes and said 'aye, they were good days'.

Thanks for the memories Jack, RIP

What a great post. Regarding Curran, I once heard a story that Jack was talking to Lawrie Mcmenemy at a dinner about signing one of his players but it wasn't Curran (might have been Ted McDougal). There was some kind of mix up, probably Jack getting the names wrong, and we ended up with TC. I don't know if it's true but there are also stories of him naming sides with only 10 players and regularly getting players names wrong so it could be.  Curran says he dropped down 2 divisions because he supported us and had always wanted to play for us. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Read somewhere about Jacks first Irish international match, stood with the Irish FA officials as the anthems blared out. Apparently said to the bloke next to him when they played the first one ‘I hope our isn’t as long as this’. 

Irish official replied ‘it is ours’. 

• Haha 5

Heard the other day that whenever he went into a pub In Ireland he’d buy the whole room a drink and everyone he was with, every pub he went in.....then said he didn’t have any cash and could he write them a check.....which they always accepted but framed it behind the bar so they never got cashed 😂😂

Edited by goodytheowl