RIP Jack Charlton

7 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

I think this is an excellent idea and a fitting tribute to recognise what a tremendous job the guy did for a club that was absolutely on it's arse.

Well, this was rubbish news to wake up to this morning. What a fella he was. It wasn't just that he was able to slowly turn the club's fortunes around from the destitution it had slumped into, both financial and footballing, but it was the manner in which he did it. Such strength of character, fortitude and integrity. And all along maintaining a humility, humour and generosity of spirit.

I know it's been mentioned a few times before, but I also remember that programme he had on the TV coaching young lads. He just had a charisma about him that was fascinating somehow. My favourite story about him was in a book I read (might have been 'A Quarter of Wednesday by Daniel Gordon). He was taking a training session and the players were working on free kicks. Jack was getting frustrated because they weren't able to deliver what he wanted. So he put down his cup of tea, strode up to the ball, and in his coat and casual shoes curled the ball into the top corner like Kevin de Bruyne, turned to his players and said "now is that really so difficult?" Then he went back to his cuppa as if nothing unusual had just happened.

I'm sure there was no pressing reason for him to take the job at Hillsborough given his status within the game. It says much about him that he did. Who knows where this club would have been if it wasn't for Jack Charlton? Rest in peace legend.

Never had a contract either as I remember. 

• Like 1

RIP Jackie Charlton.

Brought his England skills here to revive Wednesday - to show his good men how to win - home and away.

My son was 6 when Jack tranformed this team.  We went to every home match, and some of the aways.

We both knew the words to the Gary Bannister song:

("Bannister, Bannister, Bannister, ..., Bannister" (not too hard really...).

... and we knew that Jackie Charlton, like his brother, was MAGIC.

"Win, Lose or Draw, we'll do 'wor best".  God Bless and our thanks, Jack.

• Like 1

What a top bloke, so lucky to have met him. Remember the game against Chesterfield when he paid to sit in the North Stand with his wife.

We were sat near him and spent much of the boring game chanting his name. He went round to the players entrance after the game

he was so impressed with the fans having to endure such dross. He agreed to join with no contract.

Top bloke one of my all time hero's . RIP Big fella.

Edited by Big Jack
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, hugeowl said:

Never had a contract either as I remember. 

Now you mention it, I think you might be right. Didn't he say when he first arrived that he would stay no longer than five years because after that it starts to get stale and change is needed? And characteristically, he lived up to his word, leaving the club in a far better place than where he found it. Of course, we were promoted to the top flight the next season, and his Middlesbrough team did the double over us.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, quinnssweetshop said:

What a night that was !!!

Went to Blackburn with a mate who’s wife had just had a boy. 
My mate decided Before game who scored first goal he’d name his new son after, Anti Mirocavic hit the post just before ticker Taylor scored hence his lad is called Kevin lucky for him Mirocavic didn’t score. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Jackie lad you’ll be sorely missed. Such a sensible, no nonsense bloke who understood the game inside out having worked with Revie and Ramsey. He gave our club such a lift when he agreed to manage us, and then fulfilled all his promises...how times change. RIP big fella.

• Like 1

One of my abiding memories of Big Jack was when 20 or 30 young kids from The Limavady Owls were waiting for Terry Curran to emerge from the dressing room at Middlewood road,TC being the 'big fish at the time,Terry couldn't be arrsed and was trying to 'get offside' Big Jack noticed this and bellowed out to him in rather industrial language to get back and spend some time posing for photos and autographs,He duly did of course.

• Like 3

RIP Big Jack - a true Wednesday legend. His no nonsense approach turned  our great club around and he so nearly took us back to the top division in 81-82. He left  a great foundation for Howard Wilkinson to finish the  job. 

Back in the late 70s the Wednesday youth team used  to play at the Thorncliffe playing fields in High Green on Saturday mornings. Big Jack  and Maurice Setters  sometimes watched  from the touch line surrounded by  a gaggle of  star struck youngsters. We were standing next Jack Charlton , World Cup Winner and Wednesday Manager!

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, belfast owl lad said:

One of my abiding memories of Big Jack was when 20 or 30 young kids from The Limavady Owls were waiting for Terry Curran to emerge from the dressing room at Middlewood road,TC being the 'big fish at the time,Terry couldn't be arrsed and was trying to 'get offside' Big Jack noticed this and bellowed out to him in rather industrial language to get back and spend some time posing for photos and autographs,He duly did of course.

You might know some of these:

IMG_1258.jpg

IMG_1256.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1