Big Mick McCarthy

1 hour ago, bladeshater said:

Reached his sell by date a bit back

That's the thing for me.

Big Mick would have the same problems as Monk if he took over. He didn't exactly tear up any trees at Ipswich in his last couple of seasons, and their fans were happy to see him go.

In all probability, if he came to S6 then a lot of our fans would be calling for his head after a few months.

• Thanks 1

Results are concerning me. Yes performances have, since we restarted, been slightly better, but that’s not hard given that our pre lockdown form was so dire. Monk needs an upturn in results in these remaining games, to avoid following Lee Johnson out of a job. 

As Gurujuan says the results are concerning.

I think we all hoped for an upturn on the restart of the Championship.

But we have 4 poiints from 4 games.

Over the course of a season that form clearly equals 46 points and relegation.

Monk is failing miserably.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Owls Loyal said:

As Gurujuan says the results are concerning.

I think we all hoped for an upturn on the restart of the Championship.

But we have 4 poiints from 4 games.

Over the course of a season that form clearly equals 46 points and relegation.

Monk is failing miserably.

Agreed but your forgetting 1 thing...

Monk was fired by Swansea, fired by Boro and fired by Brum.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Owls Loyal said:

Monk was fired by Swansea, fired by Boro and fired by Brum.

He is now failing miserably at SWFC.

Mick McCarthy is available and would be a steady pair of hands in these troubled times for the club.

Just for the record Mick McCarthy achiveved:

Promotion to the Premier League - Sunderland 

Promotion to the Premier League - Wolves

Play Off's - Ipswich Town

Qualified for World Cup Finals and reached secondf Stage in South Korea with the Republic of Ireland.

Deja Vu, and it was a boring 'NO THANKS' the first time. Some of them achievements, dear me, you have to go back a lllllloooooooonnnnnnnggggggg time!!!

I’m not sure some of the players we have would take to McCarthy. We have people like Rhodes and Reach who are confidence players and would probably go into their shells. Bannan would probably not take too kindly either to being told to change his game which I’m sure would happen as McCarthy like dominant and physical players.

I know where the OP is coming from but the game has moved on a bit since McCarthy had those successes and our current squad is too meek for a manager like him.

Hopefully Monk and the club will already have plans in place for next season with players they want to bring in and backroom staff.
Think we have to give Monk a bit more time.

But yes in our present circumstances Big Mick would be a good choice, get us organised and wouldn't stand for any overinflated egos in the dressing room that have effected us lately. But I cant see him coming as he probably doesn't need the money and knows Wednesday have a couple of seasons of hard work ahead of them.

1 minute ago, Dagmeister's Shadow said:

But he'll be here next season to build his own team 👍

He probably will, yes, but should he be? His record is worse than that of Lee Johnson, recently sacked at Bristol City. It’s true he hasn’t really had the opportunity to bring in many of his own players, or coaching staff, but does his record here so far, suggest that he should be given that opportunity? His results are on a par with those achieved by the hapless Jos. Were we suggesting he should have been allowed to rebuild? This is the big worry for me, there has been nothing in his tenure so far to suggest he can take us forward

• Like 1

Monk still hasn’t proven that he’s deserving of the opportunity to reshape this squad.

Performances have improved since the restart, but results haven’t, albeit against 4 teams in the top half of the division. He’ll probably need a couple of wins against the likes of QPR, Huddersfield and Middlesbrough to convince me that we should be sticking with him longer term. 

If not, the names mentioned in this thread are exactly who we should be looking at. 

If we’re going for experience, McCarthy or Hughton. If we want a younger manager on the rise, we should consider Lowe or Robinson.

And another name to throw into the mix would be Paul Cook at Wigan - a success everywhere he’s been and has left his last 3 clubs a division higher than when he joined them. If you think we’re in a mess, just look at what’s going off at that club. I think he’d jump at the chance to join us. 

7 minutes ago, snaykz said:

And another name to throw into the mix would be Paul Cook at Wigan - a success everywhere he’s been and has left his last 3 clubs a division higher than when he joined them. If you think we’re in a mess, just look at what’s going off at that club. I think he’d jump at the chance to join us. 

Hiya mate, I live in Wigan at the mo. The Wigan fans absolutely despise him and want him sacked, protests etc. Obviously, the recent upturn in results has quietened them down; however, they still want shut.

McCarthy hates Wednesday. He would be a disaster for us imo. 

• Thanks 1

Ive never been a fan of 'attritional football' as its been put above. However, in our current situation i would jump at the change of Big Mic becoming our manager.

Monk is a disaster, were in a mess off the pitch, our trajectory is only one way. He would turn things around.

• Like 2

Should have gone for somebody like mccarthy when chansiri first came and in and let him 'manage' the club like Bruce would have done.

Instead we have fizzed about with doyen paxo and the likes of jos and monk and spunked millions 

• Like 3

I understand the OP's sentiments, but isn't it a bleak place when after 6 years of DC's mismanagement, all we can look forward to is getting in a long ball merchant who will grind out results.