Big Mick McCarthy

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

Passing to a colleague is a better proposition than the lottery of lumping it towards Fletcher’s head

but is passing it 26 times whilst allowing the opposition time to fully ready it's defence better than attacking their goal?

we've been getting it forward to fletcher who at best is supported by poor players, or none, the none at times because we've needed so many numbers in our m/f to compete with the opposition.

we've held onto players too long, some are past their best, some haven't got, or had a best.

3 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

but is passing it 26 times whilst allowing the opposition time to fully ready it's defence better than attacking their goal?

we've been getting it forward to fletcher who at best is supported by poor players, or none, the none at times because we've needed so many numbers in our m/f to compete with the opposition.

we've held onto players too long, some are past their best, some haven't got, or had a best.

Sure, passing for the sake of it is futile, but so is lumping it towards Fletcher’s head. Most successful sides know how to retain the ball, even those renowned long ball merchants Sheffield Utd, now pass the ball. 

Just now, Jeffjohnsonmyhero said:

Wednesday are the club Mick supported as a Lad according to his Autobiography ,

ALL this ******** about 'he can't have the job because.....' is tripe, they're professionals, they manage clubs for money, and ego.

hughton may have turned us down because he wasn't ready?, perhaps he thought he was of premier class?, and has had time to think again, perhaps he prefers to be in the south?, or perhaps he knew we were running the show badly and didn't want in on it?

few, if any professional managers will turn a job down on the grounds of who they supported as a kid, bruce who left us for his boyhood dreamclub, had managed at sunderland.

it's time for our support to bury the dogma, wins get you up, NOT style of play.

1 minute ago, dorian gray said:

ALL this ******** about 'he can't have the job because.....' is tripe, they're professionals, they manage clubs for money, and ego.

hughton may have turned us down because he wasn't ready?, perhaps he thought he was of premier class?, and has had time to think again, perhaps he prefers to be in the south?, or perhaps he knew we were running the show badly and didn't want in on it?

few, if any professional managers will turn a job down on the grounds of who they supported as a kid, bruce who left us for his boyhood dreamclub, had managed at sunderland.

it's time for our support to bury the dogma, wins get you up, NOT style of play.

I Want Ryan Lowe as the manager ASAP ,But lets keep Monk as manager and show once and for all ,Chansiri  does not have a clue .

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Jeffjohnsonmyhero said:

He said at Man city rumours were going around my boyhood club Sheffield wednesday were set to make a move for me ,Nothing happened and ended up moving to Sunderland ,

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/leeds-united/legends-barnsleys-mick-mccarthy-his-hero-leeds-uniteds-norman-hunter-2846796%3famp

30 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

so it's warnock then?

Probably not, due to his porcine tendencies.

I would have Bruce back if the Newcastle takeover meant that he was out of a job.

McCarthy is a good shout.

Allardyce was good enough to be given the England job just a few short years ago and is currently out of work.

Always liked Ian Holloway

Dean Smith if he loses his job when Villa are relegated.

We could do far worse than giving Megson another crack at the job (gets tin hat and takes cover)

We dont want some unknown Jonny Foreigner or one of these young up and coming lower league guy. The rebuild job this time is just too important to gamble with somebody like that.

2 hours ago, Owls Loyal said:

This fan base is no different to those at other clubs in that they can see when a manager is failing miserably.

Monk was fired by Swansea, fired by Boro and fired by Brum.

Which is less firings than Ron Atkinson had.....your point being?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jeffjohnsonmyhero said:

I Want Ryan Lowe as the manager ASAP ,But lets keep Monk as manager and show once and for all ,Chansiri  does not have a clue .

he stepped forwards and put his money where his mouth was when no one else was doing so, so i'm reluctant at criticising the man.

undoubtedly he knows he's made mistakes, i hope he understands he has been badly advised at times, and has learned from it.

as for ryan lowe, i'm not sure that 2 stints in the bottom division is enough to equip you for the s6 melting pot.

• Like 1

I like Mick, been a very good manager and knew him personally back in the day (but lost touch). 

But, football is increasingly becoming a young man's game, bar the odd exception and that includes managers. I'm not sure replacing Monk for him, good as he was 5-10 years ago is progressive and I'm not sure what he could do differently with what we  have available.

21 minutes ago, Jeffjohnsonmyhero said:

Think Ryan Lowe is just the latest flavour of the month.
Him being an ex player obviously adds to it as well.
We need a much more experienced manager as we have some choppy waters ahead of us.

• Like 2

Think that ship has already sailed,

People saying he did nothing at Ipswich though? kept a very poor team and a owner that wouldn't spend a penny up season after season, he got sacked and they got relegated, simple case of be careful what you wish for.

Changing the manager constantly is also part of the problem, New formations and tactics, different ideas and styles, never been a massive fan of Monk and don't think he's the right man to rebuild us but we can't just keep recycling managers year after year especially when keeping the same furniture behind the scenes, sometimes it all just needs freshening up. 

We need a stable structure in place and a sustainable club, constantly changing managers doesn't help that, the clear out has begun, massive wages off the wage bill, be prepared for a summer of frees and wheeling and dealing along with another few seasons of mediocrity at least, just don't think of them season ticket prices at the same time though.

We need more Savvy signings like Iorfa, Luongo and Borner. They have proven that there is good players out there for cheap.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, hasthagotanycheese said:

Probably not, due to his porcine tendencies.

I would have Bruce back if the Newcastle takeover meant that he was out of a job.

McCarthy is a good shout.

Allardyce was good enough to be given the England job just a few short years ago and is currently out of work.

Always liked Ian Holloway

Dean Smith if he loses his job when Villa are relegated.

We could do far worse than giving Megson another crack at the job (gets tin hat and takes cover)

We dont want some unknown Jonny Foreigner or one of these young up and coming lower league guy. The rebuild job this time is just too important to gamble with somebody like that.

track record suggests warnock and bruce are the men to get the job done. but our one eyed support would rule them out on the grounds of personal bias. 

terry curran rubbed the pigs noses in it when a wednesday player, but it didn't stop the pigs signing him.

i very much doubt wednesday would have had tony currie, as too many would be pointing out his 'porcine tendencies'.

mccarthy wouldn't get the first month in before the 'style of play' backstabbers were into him.

allardyce was on a king's ransom, will he take what we'd offer?

holloway, very much man of the past.

dean smith, still at villa, and might want to watch the cricket for a while should he be sacked.

megson, see mccarthy re backstabbers.

we as a club cannot get the most likely candidate for promotion, as we have our own 'taliban' element wanting style of play to 'override' victories.

it is sadly the anchor that big ron left us with, and some expect our present managers to emulate that bygone situation of classy play, and promotion, whilst completely ignoring wilkinson's greater achievements.

1 minute ago, Lucas Joao's Tooth said:

We need more Savvy signings like Iorfa, Luongo and Borner. They have proven that there is good players out there for cheap.

Exactly. You don't need to spend mega bucks to do well in this division, but you do need a plan.

It's painful to think of how wasteful we've been during Chansiri's reign, but since we can't splurge in the same way again, hopefully a more coherent and focussed approach will be forced upon us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1