Big Mick McCarthy

17 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Think Ryan Lowe is just the latest flavour of the month.
Him being an ex player obviously adds to it as well.
We need a much more experienced manager as we have some choppy waters ahead of us.

He may well be Matt, but his record, albeit at a lower level, stands up to scrutiny. That, and the fact that he advocates an attacking, pleasing on the eye, brand of football, makes him an attractive candidate. 
Being an ex player is not really significant, other than perhaps some insight into the pressures of the job here. What I find appealing, is the way he forged a successful attacking side out of limited resources at Bury, with all that was going on behind the scenes. 
I agree he lacks Championship experience, hence my suggestion that he might be a good fit if we slip down a division There are only a few experienced managers who actually might give us a significantly better chance of success in the Championship, and one of those was Bruce. Aside from that handful of managers, most of the success in this league has been achieved by foreign coaches, or innovative managers like Wilder. I’ve seen nothing to suggest, in his career so far, that Monk resembles any of those options. In fact, he appears to be just another in a long line of merry go round lower end championship managers who come and go at regular intervals

Edited by gurujuan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Swiss Toni said:

I’m not sure some of the players we have would take to McCarthy. We have people like Rhodes and Reach who are confidence players and would probably go into their shells. Bannan would probably not take too kindly either to being told to change his game which I’m sure would happen as McCarthy like dominant and physical players.

I know where the OP is coming from but the game has moved on a bit since McCarthy had those successes and our current squad is too meek for a manager like him.

The players don't want this nasty man in charge!

Bless em 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

He may well be Matt, but his record, albeit at a lower level, stands up to scrutiny. That, and the fact that he advocates an attacking, pleasing on the eye, brand of football, makes him an attractive candidate. 
Being an ex player is not really significant, other than perhaps some insight into the pressures of the job here. What I find appealing, is the way he forged a successful attacking side out of limited resources at Bury, with all that was going on behind the scenes. 
I agree he lacks Championship experience, hence my suggestion that he might be a good fit if we slip down a division There are only a few experienced managers who actually might give us a significantly better chance of success in the Championship, and one of those was Bruce. Aside from that handful of managers, most of the success in this league has been achieved by foreign coaches, or innovative managers like Wilder. I’ve seen nothing to suggest, in his career so far, that Monk resembles any of those options. In fact, he appears to be just another in a long line of mercy go round lower end championship managers who come and go at regular intervals

to gain promotion to the premier we need players capable of winning games often at championship level. both home and away. 

these proven winners are going to think what of our newly acquired fourth division manager?

did you learn absolutely nothing from putting 'small time' danny wilson in charge of quality players?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Exactly. You don't need to spend mega bucks to do well in this division, but you do need a plan.

It's painful to think of how wasteful we've been during Chansiri's reign, but since we can't splurge in the same way again, hopefully a more coherent and focussed approach will be forced upon us.

a plan, yep, said that all along, DC has never had a plan since hes been here. I doubt he knows what that is.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, dorian gray said:

to gain promotion to the premier we need players capable of winning games often at championship level. both home and away. 

these proven winners are going to think what of our newly acquired fourth division manager?

did you learn absolutely nothing from putting 'small time' danny wilson in charge of quality players?

We wouldn’t have those players if we were to drop to League One, which is when I suggested he might be a viable option

1 hour ago, Pieman said:

Hiya mate, I live in Wigan at the mo. The Wigan fans absolutely despise him and want him sacked, protests etc. Obviously, the recent upturn in results has quietened them down; however, they still want shut.

McCarthy hates Wednesday. He would be a disaster for us imo. 

Why do Wigan fans dislike Paul Cook so much? From the outside seems a decent manager.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

Very good point, I mean just look across the City......they didn’t get where they are today without going and getting Real Madrid’s manager did they 

and villa would never have been promoted had they not sacked the supposedly most successful manager in this division and aimed for the stars by being able to prize Dean Smith from Brentford whilst they were embarking on a season in the Champions League

16 minutes ago, billyblack said:

a plan, yep, said that all along, DC has never had a plan since hes been here. I doubt he knows what that is.

I'm not so sure - during year one of his tenure, we signed some very good players and it looked like we were on the right track - Hooper, Bannan, Pudil, Forestieri, Hunt, and Wallace were all shrewd acquisitions which boosted our chances fo promotion no end.

Sure, we added some wild cards such as João, Matias, Lachman and Sougou, but none of these broke the bank, and the sale of João alone probably offset the money we invested in all of them.

It was what followed that really saw things unravel: refusing to sell anyone; running down contracts; recruiting the likes of Boyd, Abdi and Jones who were towards the end of their careers; and the signing which really snookered us - Rhodes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Owls Loyal said:

Monk was fired by Swansea, fired by Boro and fired by Brum.

Big Mick McCarthy though has achieved some success in football management unlike Monk.

Two promotions to the Premier League and a Championship play off with hard up Ipswich Town is a very decent record.

Ah Bejaysus feckNO

Just now, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I'm not so sure - during year one of his tenure, we signed some very good players and it looked like we were on the right track - Hooper, Bannan, Pudil, Forestieri, Hunt, and Wallace were all shrewd acquisitions which boosted our chances fo promotion no end.

Sure, we added some wild cards such as João, Matias, Lachman and Sougou, but none of these broke the bank, and the sale of João alone probably offset the money we invested in all of them.

It was what followed that really saw things unravel: refusing to sell anyone; running down contracts; recruiting the likes of Boyd, Abdi and Jones who were towards the end of their careers; and the signing which really snookered us - Rhodes.

his plan (if you call it that) was to spend in the 1st season and get promoted, second year, more of the same but with a bit less spending. From then until now has bordered on negligence for me. Money pouring out of the club, assets not being realised, senior staff let go, no board to speak of, just a lash out to protect his ego when challenged. The 10 year season ticket summed it up for me, theres a reason other clubs dont do it, its horsecrap. A club with poor revenue anyway then decides to basically takr revenue from future years to pay for this year. Its car crash financial planning for 5 year olds. Sorry. Just incompetent.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, billyblack said:

his plan (if you call it that) was to spend in the 1st season and get promoted, second year, more of the same but with a bit less spending. From then until now has bordered on negligence for me. Money pouring out of the club, assets not being realised, senior staff let go, no board to speak of, just a lash out to protect his ego when challenged. The 10 year season ticket summed it up for me, theres a reason other clubs dont do it, its horsecrap. A club with poor revenue anyway then decides to basically takr revenue from future years to pay for this year. Its car crash financial planning for 5 year olds. Sorry. Just incompetent.

Nailed it.

• Like 1

Guest Kameron

f()() kin Mick McCarthy, we'd be better off digging up or gluing back together the ashes of Derek Dooley. There's a reason we've been utter Thomas Tank for the best part of 25 years and appointing the likes of that 17 fingered sister shagging, whippet molester will do nothing to improve our predicament.

Edited by Kameron

Just now, Kameron said:

f()() kin Mick McCarthy, we'd be better off digging up or gluing back together the ashes of Derek Dooley. There's a reason we've been utter Thomas Tank for the best part of 25 years and appointing the likes of that 12 fingered sister shagging, whippet molester will do nothing to improve our predicament.

Barnsley Lives Matter.

• Haha 2

Unless we can get Houghton, Jokanovic, or Carvalhal then I think we should give Monk a chance. 

Yes he was fired by Swansea, Leeds and Middlesbrough but every manager has been sacked at some point. 

He did pretty well at Swansea and Leeds, didn’t work out at Boro.