Big Mick McCarthy

17 minutes ago, Kameron said:

f()() kin Mick McCarthy, we'd be better off digging up or gluing back together the ashes of Derek Dooley. There's a reason we've been utter Thomas Tank for the best part of 25 years and appointing the likes of that 17 fingered sister shagging, whippet molester will do nothing to improve our predicament.

Comments like that not warranted pal OK you don't want him but leave it at that eh.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dorian gray said:

track record suggests warnock and bruce are the men to get the job done. but our one eyed support would rule them out on the grounds of personal bias. 

terry curran rubbed the pigs noses in it when a wednesday player, but it didn't stop the pigs signing him.

i very much doubt wednesday would have had tony currie, as too many would be pointing out his 'porcine tendencies'.

mccarthy wouldn't get the first month in before the 'style of play' backstabbers were into him.

allardyce was on a king's ransom, will he take what we'd offer?

holloway, very much man of the past.

dean smith, still at villa, and might want to watch the cricket for a while should he be sacked.

megson, see mccarthy re backstabbers.

we as a club cannot get the most likely candidate for promotion, as we have our own 'taliban' element wanting style of play to 'override' victories.

it is sadly the anchor that big ron left us with, and some expect our present managers to emulate that bygone situation of classy play, and promotion, whilst completely ignoring wilkinson's greater achievements.

We took to Bruce even though he had a short period managing the blunts.

However even though Colin has had numerous jobs since leaving S2 he has got his colours nailed to their mast so conspicuously that it would be a totally futile exercise (for both parties) if he were to come here. Sad I know but thats the partisan nature of football.

Just remember the fun we had with Agent Wilson down at the Lane a few years back.

Frankly,I just want us to win games, couldnt give a throw about the style of play. Just want us to be successful.

Guest LondonOwl313
1 hour ago, hasthagotanycheese said:

Probably not, due to his porcine tendencies.

I would have Bruce back if the Newcastle takeover meant that he was out of a job.

McCarthy is a good shout.

Allardyce was good enough to be given the England job just a few short years ago and is currently out of work.

Always liked Ian Holloway

Dean Smith if he loses his job when Villa are relegated.

We could do far worse than giving Megson another crack at the job (gets tin hat and takes cover)

We dont want some unknown Jonny Foreigner or one of these young up and coming lower league guy. The rebuild job this time is just too important to gamble with somebody like that.

They’re all good shouts but there’s only a rebuild job on if Chansiri pumps another £30m in to buy new players. If he doesn’t and we’re bringing in frees then we aren’t really rebuilding we’ll be treading water trying to survive.

Bruce wouldn’t come back here. He’s more likely to retire if anything.. made noises about us being his last job and then went to Newcastle... can’t see him wanting to come and tread water for 3-4 years. Allardyce there’s no chance he’d want it. Smith will stay at Villa if he keeps them up. McCarthy is realistic and would

probably come regardless of the budget

15 minutes ago, S72 Owl said:

Unless we can get Houghton, Jokanovic, or Carvalhal then I think we should give Monk a chance. 

Yes he was fired by Swansea, Leeds and Middlesbrough but every manager has been sacked at some point. 

He did pretty well at Swansea and Leeds, didn’t work out at Boro. 

Unless we can get Houghton, Jokanovic, or Carvalhal then I think we should give Monk a chance.

Nay, Nay & Thrice Nay.  Monk has had his chance & since the turn of the year we are the 2nd worst team in the Championship form table.

Need to bin Monk off ASAP

I like Mick McCarthy, good, old school manager and bags of character. However, we already have a manager, who I also rate, so for me this talk of new managers after every loss is disrespectful and tiresome.

For the record, most managers get fired from their jobs at some point, that’s how it works. Nothing special about that.

49 minutes ago, S72 Owl said:

Yes he was fired by Swansea, Leeds and Middlesbrough but every manager has been sacked at some point. 

Wasn't Big Mick sacked by both Sunderland and Wolves? And although if we're going to be picky Ipswich chose not to renew his contract, in practical terms he was sacked by them as well.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Stripes or die said:

I like Mick McCarthy, good, old school manager and bags of character. However, we already have a manager, who I also rate, so for me this talk of new managers after every loss is disrespectful and tiresome.

For the record, most managers get fired from their jobs at some point, that’s how it works. Nothing special about that.

This is a forum intended for fans to express their opinions, no disrespect is intended to our current manager.

For the record, I'm sure that Monk is doing the best that he can under extremely difficult  circumstances. However all managers are measured on results and his quite frankly haven't been good enough. 

If you get Sunderland and Wolves promoted to the PL then lose your job later on then you have still done well.

On a number of occasions Warnock has done the same but still brought his club in £120+ million of Premier League money.

Unfortunately Monk has achieved nothing in football management and I see no evidence to suggest that he ever will.

I am more than happy to discuss Monk leaving SWFC.

I thought this was a debating forum afterall.

I want the club to succeed as we all do but I wish someone could give just one piece of evidence suggesting that Monk is the right man to take the club forward.

1 hour ago, billyblack said:

his plan (if you call it that) was to spend in the 1st season and get promoted, second year, more of the same but with a bit less spending. From then until now has bordered on negligence for me. Money pouring out of the club, assets not being realised, senior staff let go, no board to speak of, just a lash out to protect his ego when challenged. The 10 year season ticket summed it up for me, theres a reason other clubs dont do it, its horsecrap. A club with poor revenue anyway then decides to basically takr revenue from future years to pay for this year. Its car crash financial planning for 5 year olds. Sorry. Just incompetent.

I don't disagree with much of that.

Spending to get promoted was done in a sensible way in the first season, though: the players we spent a lot on improved our starting 11 and all were valuable assets by the time we reached Wembley. It certainly seemed like whoever was behind those signings had a plan.

The problem is that plan appeared to be ditched following Wembley.

I’d have him in a heartbeat, but whoever our manager is will have massive problems with the current owner. I think Mick McCarthy will rightly want to go to a team who has the resources to get promoted and stay up, unfortunately we don’t have an owner willing to do that 

22 minutes ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

Wasn't Big Mick sacked by both Sunderland and Wolves? And although if we're going to be picky Ipswich chose not to renew his contract, in practical terms he was sacked by them as well.

Stop coming on here posting facts - they are not needed. We all know Mick McCarthy guided the Rep. Of Ireland to their 17th World Cup final victory and is therefore in demand.

16 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

DismalThatAdamsstaghornedbeetle-max-1mb.

This perfectly sums up this site to be honest...

1. Monk needs to be sacked 

2. He doesn’t have a record of promotion, we should get a manager who has

3. A manager who has a record of promotion though, no we don’t want him 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Carbone said:

This perfectly sums up this site to be honest...

1. Monk needs to be sacked 

2. He doesn’t have a record of promotion, we should get a manager who has

3. A manager who has a record of promotion though, no we don’t want him 

At best, McCarthy might be slightly more successful than Monk in the circumstances I expect the club to be facing next season. There's certainly no guarantee of that however. Personally, I'd prefer a considerably bigger upgrade than that, but I'm resolved to the fact it is unrealistic for a little while.

Don't cry if people don't agree with you, especially on such a contentious matter as managing a football club. There are around seven billion of them after all and therefore consensus on any given issue is not especially likely.

1 hour ago, hasthagotanycheese said:

This is a forum intended for fans to express their opinions, no disrespect is intended to our current manager.

For the record, I'm sure that Monk is doing the best that he can under extremely difficult  circumstances. However all managers are measured on results and his quite frankly haven't been good enough. 

I would say openly discussing potential replacements while someone is still in their job pretty disrespectful.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Owls Loyal said:

Monk was fired by Swansea, fired by Boro and fired by Brum.

Big Mick McCarthy though has achieved some success in football management unlike Monk.

Two promotions to the Premier League and a Championship play off with hard up Ipswich Town is a very decent record.

He took Ipswich down?.

Why not Meggo? or Pullis?

Same record.