Big Mick McCarthy

5 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Ive never been a fan of 'attritional football' as its been put above. However, in our current situation i would jump at the change of Big Mic becoming our manager.

Monk is a disaster, were in a mess off the pitch, our trajectory is only one way. He would turn things around.

But would he come with 'What we are offering out'?

2 hours ago, Owls Loyal said:

Monk was fired by Swansea, fired by Boro and fired by Brum.

He is now failing miserably at SWFC.

Mick McCarthy is available and would be a steady pair of hands in these troubled times for the club.

Just for the record Mick McCarthy achiveved:

Promotion to the Premier League - Sunderland

Promotion to the Premier League - Wolves

Play Off's - Ipswich Town

Qualified for World Cup Finals and reached secondf Stage in South Korea with the Republic of Ireland.

monk can't be judged as yet, he's inherited a totally unbalanced squad, heavy in wages, light in grit and even talent.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, dani_armo said:

Should have gone for somebody like mccarthy when chansiri first came and in and let him 'manage' the club like Bruce would have done.

Instead we have fizzed about with doyen paxo and the likes of jos and monk and spunked millions 

we should have financed gray a proper forward line to start with, THEN IF he failed looked at a safe, experienced pair of hands, instead of a charlatan.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Emilianenko said:

Has anyone done the fake moral outrage post yet?

"But I thought we had a Manager?"

We have a manager and need to get behind him whilst ever he is here.  We need to

• Win the EFL case
  • Not get relegated
  • Not get an embargo
  • Let Monk recruit and have a pre season
  • bring his own backroom team in
  • Give him at least a full season.
  • See what happens
  • Support

Not much to ask

oh and win a few games!

Edited by Striggy
  • Like 4

"nobody told me there would be days like these!"

1 hour ago, Owls-Fan said:

I guess the point he’s making is Monk didn’t achieve much at his clubs before being sacked whereas McCarthy at least got promotions etc and got sacked in the PL. 

But I’m not sure about McCarthy, as you say he’d be good with our current crop and financial restraints but the football would be turgid.  IF the plan is for Monk to bring in young players this summer then at least that is some kind of plan for the future 

you see, promotion is just not enough, that's why we won't go up.

35 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

He probably will, yes, but should he be? His record is worse than that of Lee Johnson, recently sacked at Bristol City. It’s true he hasn’t really had the opportunity to bring in many of his own players, or coaching staff, but does his record here so far, suggest that he should be given that opportunity? His results are on a par with those achieved by the hapless Jos. Were we suggesting he should have been allowed to rebuild? This is the big worry for me, there has been nothing in his tenure so far to suggest he can take us forward

Johnson should have a better record than Monk he has been able to spend money, Monk hasn't been given a pot to pee in and probably wont be given money going forward. We are borrowing or  shopping in the charity shops of football at the moment

Guest mrbluesky
3 hours ago, Owls Loyal said:

Mick McCarthy is available and would be a steady pair of hands in these troubled times for the club.

Qualified for World Cup Finals and reached secondf Stage in South Korea with the Republic of Ireland.

2 likes.

JESUS H CHRIST!

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

Results are concerning me. Yes performances have, since we restarted, been slightly better, but that’s not hard given that our pre lockdown form was so dire. Monk needs an upturn in results in these remaining games, to avoid following Lee Johnson out of a job. 

klopp would struggle to get these plonkers playing better.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Swiss Toni said:

I’m not sure some of the players we have would take to McCarthy. We have people like Rhodes and Reach who are confidence players and would probably go into their shells. Bannan would probably not take too kindly either to being told to change his game which I’m sure would happen as McCarthy like dominant and physical players.

I know where the OP is coming from but the game has moved on a bit since McCarthy had those successes and our current squad is too meek for a manager like him.

NO! it's nigh on still the same, you score more than the opposition you win, the difference is sides are now encouraging their defenders to play it about in dangerous areas so when you rob them, you're in on goal.

13 minutes ago, Dagmeister's Shadow said:

Fair enough. I'll judge him when he has his own team both players and coaches. The cards are stacked against him at the moment. Threadbare squad and what can any manager do when his team creates and squanders easy chances? 

I hope and expect him to get the chance next season. Just my personal opinion.

PS it's good to have a reasoned debate 👍

Yeah debate is good. I’m trying to be open minded about Monk, but as a non believer, I don’t do blind faith. All I want is a sign, show me a sign that the guy knows what he is doing. 
Agreed, the conditions he is working under, are far from ideal, but it’s been a far from impossible task. 
Good managers find a way to overcome those sort of problems, Jos couldn’t, but Bruce for example, was able to deal with the situation, at least until he effed off. 
We are at a bit of a crossroads here, this is a different brief to the one Carlos was tasked with, and we need to do things in a very different way. Any rebuild will need to be done on a limited budget, whichever division we find ourselves in. If we stay up, I favour an experienced manager, like Bruce, who will have the contacts, and the understanding of what it takes to get out of this division, having done it previously. 
I could even put up with the boring football, if I thought we were in capable hands. 
The other option, perhaps more realistic if we are relegated, is to appoint an up and coming mananager renowned for playing an exciting brand of football. Someone who could establish a much needed footballing philosophy at the club. Ryan Lowe ticks a lot of boxes, not just with his style of football, but with what he’s already achieved in his short managerial career so far. He’s doing well at Plymouth, but it was the work he did at Bury, under far more trying circumstances than Monk is currently working under, that really catches the eye. In the face of adversity, he just got on with things, never blaming his tools, and I like that. As I said, I am looking for a sign, and what might push Monk’s case, is winning these next few games, using the tools he has.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Swiss Toni said:

I’m not sure some of the players we have would take to McCarthy. We have people like Rhodes and Reach who are confidence players and would probably go into their shells. Bannan would probably not take too kindly either to being told to change his game which I’m sure would happen as McCarthy like dominant and physical players.

I know where the OP is coming from but the game has moved on a bit since McCarthy had those successes and our current squad is too meek for a manager like him.

He wouldn't tell Bannan to change his game.

McCarthy was co commentating on Sky last week and he was saying that a teams style depends to a large extent on the type of players the manager has on the books. 

I'd be happy with McCarthy if Monk gets sacked    Getting fed up of our 2nd half no-shows. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

He probably will, yes, but should he be? His record is worse than that of Lee Johnson, recently sacked at Bristol City. It’s true he hasn’t really had the opportunity to bring in many of his own players, or coaching staff, but does his record here so far, suggest that he should be given that opportunity? His results are on a par with those achieved by the hapless Jos. Were we suggesting he should have been allowed to rebuild? This is the big worry for me, there has been nothing in his tenure so far to suggest he can take us forward

he's sidelined the prima donnas for a start, and let's be fair, from the very start you didn't want him, you want us larking about to see how many ineffective passes we can make.

2 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

he's sidelined the prima donnas for a start, and let's be fair, from the very start you didn't want him, you want us larking about to see how many ineffective passes we can make.

Passing to a colleague is a better proposition than the lottery of lumping it towards Fletcher’s head

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Owls Loyal said:

Who would replace him in a couple of months though?..

2 hours ago, Owls Loyal said:

I do agree that for virtually all managers the sack comes eventually.

Even Arsene Wenger at Arsenal was fired after 20 + years of winning trophies.

But the key fact with Monk is that he has been fired after very short tenures.  His tenure is averaging at less than 12 months.

Monk is divisive and falls out with people.

Monk was fired by Swansea, fired by Boro and fired by Brum

you can say that again,..............

and again............

and again