Big Mick McCarthy

Monk was fired by Swansea, fired by Boro and fired by Brum.

Big Mick McCarthy though has achieved some success in football management unlike Monk.

Two promotions to the Premier League and a Championship play off with hard up Ipswich Town is a very decent record.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Owls Loyal said:

Monk was fired by Swansea, fired by Boro and fired by Brum.

You keep repeating this, but it’s quite irrelevant because most that we’d be in the market for will have been sacked at some point. big Mick was sacked by Sunderland and Wolves. 

I’d have big Mick if we have to stick with this squad of players. But if we can have a proper clear out then we need someone who’s going to be long term, I can’t see McCarthy being a long term manager anywhere these days. 

Edited by bigdan2003
  • Like 1

I do agree that for virtually all managers the sack comes eventually.

Even Arsene Wenger at Arsenal was fired after 20 + years of winning trophies.

But the key fact with Monk is that he has been fired after very short tenures.  His tenure is averaging at less than 12 months.

Monk is divisive and falls out with people.

Monk was fired by Swansea, fired by Boro and fired by Brum

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, bigdan2003 said:

You keep repeating this, but it’s quite irrelevant because most that we’d be in the market for will have been sacked at some point. big Mick was sacked by Sunderland and Wolves. 

I’d have big Mick if we have to stick with this squad of players. But if we can have a proper clear out then we need someone who’s going to be long term, I can’t see McCarthy being a long term manager anywhere these days. 

I guess the point he’s making is Monk didn’t achieve much at his clubs before being sacked whereas McCarthy at least got promotions etc and got sacked in the PL. 

But I’m not sure about McCarthy, as you say he’d be good with our current crop and financial restraints but the football would be turgid.  IF the plan is for Monk to bring in young players this summer then at least that is some kind of plan for the future 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, bladeshater said:

Reached his sell by date a bit back

I know there’s far more to it than age, but McCarthy’s 61 years are not a negative.

Bielsa, Bruce, Hughton, Warnock, Allardyce - like these 60+ managers, McCarthy, has direct successful experience of how to get promotions from our division. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1