Best Individual Performance By A Wednesday Player

13 hours ago, Vectile said:

First thing that came to mind.

Not an individual game, and dont really like the player too much. But Reach whilst Dross was here. Carried Wednesday for a big handful of games. Then died out a touch while other 10 players pulled their fingers out.

Never been a fan of Reach but got to agree, he did step up when we had all those injuries. 

Guy Whittingham was underated.   In the 7-1 cup win v Grimsby he was out on the wing, and made five of the goals with his crosses.

Going further back, Ron Springett in the 1960 quarter final at the Lane.   Two up in 10 minutes or so, it was Ron v Blades for most of the next 80 minutes, to keep it that way.  

• Thanks 1

one recently that stood out. Loovens away at Brighton in play offs. Absolute siege for 40 minutes, midfield missing, and he blocked and stopped everything and essentially pushed Lees into position to do the same for the whole half. It was a true masterclass in last ditch defending. Second half when Brighton ran out of puff big Glenn got the slippers on and lit his pipe and saw it out . one of the best defensive performances I have ever seen in the shirt.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coopswfc76 said:

A bit obscure but remember Woods having his best ever game in a Wednesday shirt v Preston away, sure they still had the plastic pitch.

I remember that game and he did play a blinder. Shame he never did it in certain big games.

3 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

Oh, and David Hirst vs Hull in 1990...

Scored 4, well, 5 actually, as one was credited to Paul Williams but the shot was going wide without the deflection off Hirst.

Bloody hell. All the times I've seen that goal, and I was at the back of the Kop on the day, and I'd never noticed that. I thought he'd just scuffed it.

1 hour ago, mcmigo said:

Hutch Newcastle away a couple of seasons ago, won 1 nil, he was an absolute beast that game. One of best in recent years.

His performance a week or so before against Barnsley at home was right up there as well for me. Everything you want from a centre mid.

5 hours ago, 31Dec1966 said:

I remember at home v Forest Martin Hodge single handedly kept them out. Can't remember the year but Nigel Clough ran the show.

December 85 I think. They totally worked out Wednesday’s offside trap and just waltzed through time after time and each time Hodge just saved the one-on-one....after about the 5th occasion it stopped being worrying and became entertaining especially as despite being totally outplayed Wednesday actually won 2-1.