Best Individual Performance By A Wednesday Player

Degryse was class against Leeds in a game where we trounced them 6-2 in the mid 90s. He scored a couple of goals; ran them ragged, did a sublime Cruyff-like turn in the build up to one of the other goals, set up or played a part in most of the goals too and stood out throughout.

Edited by The Night-Owl

16 hours ago, TrickyTrev said:

People rave about Waddle’s performance against West Ham (and rightly so) but I actually think his performance on the much bigger stage at Wembley in the FA Cup semi final against the pigs was better.

Here’s the BBC analysis, about 6/7 minutes into the video Trevor Brooking and Alan Hansen really nail Waddle’s performance.

Good point. Waddle was phenomenal in the 93 FA Cup Semi Final. He was everywhere. He was sublime and could have had an hat trick, and almost stopped their goal going in too. Waddle and Sheridan were pure class, orchestrating everything. When they were both on song, we looked top class. It was brilliant watching Waddle and Sheridan in the same team, that was without a doubt my favourite ever time watching Wednesday in my lifetime.

Waddle easily.

However one that will be missed will be Gerald Sibon's last ever Wednesday game at home to Reading. He knew he was going the side we had was awful and we were 2-0 down.... but on his own basically he dragged us back and we won 3-2. Brilliant from a underrated player.

42 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Waddle easily.

However one that will be missed will be Gerald Sibon's last ever Wednesday game at home to Reading. He knew he was going the side we had was awful and we were 2-0 down.... but on his own basically he dragged us back and we won 3-2. Brilliant from a underrated player.

He wasn't underrated, he was just very lazy. 

When he decided to play he could be very good, unfortunately more often than not he couldn't be Ar5ed.

Edited by OWL1969

4 minutes ago, OWL1969 said:

He wasn't underrated, he was just very lazy. 

When he decided to play he could be very good, unfortunately more often than not he couldn't be Ar5ed.

Was it laziness or was it the fact that the players he was playing with were league two standard and didn't get him ? To be fair he probably did have an element of laziness to him but it must be hard not to when playing for managers like Shreeves and Yorath

11 hours ago, kobayashi said:

December 85 I think. They totally worked out Wednesday’s offside trap and just waltzed through time after time and each time Hodge just saved the one-on-one....after about the 5th occasion it stopped being worrying and became entertaining especially as despite being totally outplayed Wednesday actually won 2-1.

This came to mind for me too when I saw the thread title, Hodge was immense that day and there was talk of an England call up after the game although sadly he never quite made it. I remember Franz Carr ripping us apart down the wing and laying on chances time and time again, no idea how we managed to win it.

I also remember the day Mel Sterland made the transition from ordinary full back to Zico. Must have been around 1982, and I think it was against Grimsby. In the second half he suddenly went berserk and just started making these marauding runs down the wing with defenders just bouncing off him, and he was like that for the rest of his career. 

1 hour ago, alanharper said:

This came to mind for me too when I saw the thread title, Hodge was immense that day and there was talk of an England call up after the game although sadly he never quite made it. I remember Franz Carr ripping us apart down the wing and laying on chances time and time again, no idea how we managed to win it.

I also remember the day Mel Sterland made the transition from ordinary full back to Zico. Must have been around 1982, and I think it was against Grimsby. In the second half he suddenly went berserk and just started making these marauding runs down the wing with defenders just bouncing off him, and he was like that for the rest of his career. 

Hodge was brilliant from the day he signed until Ogrizovic...never the same afterwards.

22 minutes ago, Lawrie Madden said:

I think Westwood in the play-off final was sensational took a Worldie to beat him would have been about 6 or 7 without him

Even though Hull only had 4-5 shots on target, how does that work then?

(Wikipedia says they had 4, BBC says 5)

10 hours ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Was it laziness or was it the fact that the players he was playing with were league two standard and didn't get him ? To be fair he probably did have an element of laziness to him but it must be hard not to when playing for managers like Shreeves and Yorath

I remember the first time I saw Sibon, in the Premier League relegation season. He was getting slagged off by all and sundry but it seemed to me that he was seeing things that others couldn't; putting the ball in areas where something might come of it whilst they just wanted a dumb, easy pass to feet or aimless lump upfield. Shame he didn't seem all that bothered much of the time, but he certainly produced some sublime moments well beyond the capabilities of most of his team mates.