Positive spin on Monk

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Paul Hurst built something sustainable with Grimsby and Shrewsbury in the lower leagues but it didn't translate into him being successful at this level.

Monk has a decent managerial record. 

No I agree, and Paul Hurst was someone I would have considered for the role here It was a worry what happened at Ipswich, but it was difficult times there It’s probably more worrying that he is struggling now with Scunthorpe It’s true that Hursts record doesn’t compare to Monk’s, but my main reservation with Monk, is that he has never really built anything, mainly because he doesn’t stay long enough. Another worry is, that the chairman still thinks we can mount a promotion push, and maybe sees Monk as the person to deliver The reality is, we didn’t do enough in the summer to justify a tag of promotion contenders

11 hours ago, jonesy87shef said:

Not having a dig at your but this sums up our fan bases mentality as a collective for at lest 20 years.

’Oh well, it could have been worse’

And what do you expect?

Do you think if the fan base willed success it would come?

We are not the problem.

17 minutes ago, NYCOWL said:

And what do you expect?

Do you think if the fan base willed success it would come?

We are not the problem.

Where did I say we were? I hate when people blame the fans. 

Its just bloody annoying being happy or content with mediocrity. 

Just plod along being unambitious, just surviving. Where’s the fun in that. 

3 hours ago, Alan Robinson said:

He did so so at Swansea but flopped everywhere else he’s been - particularly at Leeds. 

His name was linked with us before Lee Johnson was appointed but the fans at BCFC were 100% against him getting the job. He’s definitely seen as a fraud.

TBH, I don't think he flopped at Leeds.

Leeds were never a promotion side at that time.

Seventh was better than you'd have expected from that group of players, and bear in mind that they had Chris Wood up front and there was tremendous pressure on him.

But because they'd been higher than seventh for most of the season their final position was seen as failure, when in fact seventh was higher than they should have been.

Monk was basically punished for his success.

If you're winning 1-0 and you concede in the 93rd minute it feels like defeat.

If you're losing 0-1 and then equalize in the 93rd minute it feels like victory.

It's about timing.

2 hours ago, Great Big Galaa said:

There's a long term job to be done obviously but initially he has to sort out the balance of the midfield in particular and decide what his best options are at full-back. These are the problem areas that have dogged us over the last couple of seasons or so. I'm a bit disappointed that Bullen's staying on as he's seemingly oblivious to these problems and is probably saying Palmer and Fox are Wednesday's equivalent of Cafu and Roberto Carlos? :biggrin:

Nail on head mate! 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, trev said:

Let's be honest....this is essentially us as a club just accepting mid table nothingness.

He's not an awful manager, sure, but he's not going to galvanize the fan base and players and give the whole club a lift.

It's a meh appointment. 

That's what I thought when we appointed Howard Wilkinson as manager, in fact it was less than meh.

• Thanks 1

He's not Tony Pulis, we've dodged some reyt bullets with some of the names we we're being linked to, he knows the club and fans, Premier league and championship experience, not linked with Doyen, he could be exactly what we need. I think he has arguably a higher ceiling and standing than Bruce in British football. I wouldn't read too much into his time under Celino or Steve Gibson both a pair of weapons grade Bell ends.

Having slept on it it’s a decent appointment. If we weren’t so heavily linked with Cowley I think a lot more people would be happy with Monk getting the job, especially when you consider how at one point it looked like it could be Pulis, Coleman or Zola. As long as Cowley doesn’t go to Huddersfield, which for me would be a real kick in the balls! 

It’s an appointment that smells of mid table and sacked in 18 months. That said, you’ve got to get behind the bloke. It’s not a huge risk in that he knows this league, but I don’t think he’s got the X Factor to get us up. Good luck to him. He’s certainly going to need it. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, vulva said:

It’s an appointment that smells of mid table and sacked in 18 months. That said, you’ve got to get behind the bloke. It’s not a huge risk in that he knows this league, but I don’t think he’s got the X Factor to get us up. Good luck to him. He’s certainly going to need it. 

I get what you are saying vulva, but the more i think about it , the happier i am with this appointment.

I dont honestly think ANYONE who was available would get the current squad "up" it still needs reconstructive surgery , but i am far happier that we have a combative no nonsense manager in the chair with a decent track record in this division...................after all its only 12 months ago we had a human equivalent of a dishcloth in the dugout.

The only , admittedly large ,  elephant in the room is the unresolved financial shenanigans.

Edited by sheriwozgod

14 hours ago, ThaiWife said:

What if Cowley didn’t want to work with a director of football? You make it sound so easy, for somebody with absolutely zero experience of running a football club. You’re the problem. 

My post was three separate routes we could have gone down.

Would like us to build something. Monk just seems like a quick fix to me.  I appreciate Chansiri’s English isn’t great and he doesn’t like the press, but his reason for appointing Monk was that ‘he did well at Birmingham and they didn’t have very good players’. Hardly fills me with confidence. 

This is a bloke who has been a manager for 5 years and has had 4 clubs already and a history of falling out with chairmen and walking. Currently being investigated for dodgy transfer dealings. I apologise if I’m not enthusiastic about this appointment - just apathy really.

1 hour ago, WalthamOwl said:

Having slept on it it’s a decent appointment. If we weren’t so heavily linked with Cowley I think a lot more people would be happy with Monk getting the job, especially when you consider how at one point it looked like it could be Pulis, Coleman or Zola. As long as Cowley doesn’t go to Huddersfield, which for me would be a real kick in the balls! 

This is how I feel too, it’s not a spectacular appointment but it’s a solid one. He’s had good times at his previous clubs and the fans at his most recent club were sad he left, which is a good sign.

One thing about Monk is he’s a bit of a spiky character, and I’d say as a club we’ve been a bit “nice” over the years. Maybe we need someone with his attitude to inspire the players to better things. There’s no rewards in football for not being kn*bheads. 

4 hours ago, TrueOwl said:

He's not Tony Pulis, we've dodged some reyt bullets with some of the names we we're being linked to, he knows the club and fans, Premier league and championship experience, not linked with Doyen, he could be exactly what we need. I think he has arguably a higher ceiling and standing than Bruce in British football. I wouldn't read too much into his time under Celino or Steve Gibson both a pair of weapons grade Bell ends.

I think he has arguably a higher ceiling and standing than Bruce in British football.

You really think that? 

2 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

Cheer up Ringo..

Although I was disappointed when he was appointed, I want him to succeed. Trying to look at the positives, the players might like him. I think he prefers 4-4-2? So, I think it's possible we could see a mix of Carlos' style in his first season and Bruce's style, which at least will be exciting to watch. I hope he decides to play Luongo, as I feel he could be a important player for us, if we utilise him, has he's got the legs to get involved in both boxes. Good luck to him, immediately he wasn't among my preferred choices but hopefully Monk does well here by improving performances, getting results and ultimately bringing some excitement back. 

The main issue Monk will have with us I reckon is our lack of power, strength, athleticism etc.

He had a really strong running team at Leeds, pace and power

At Birmingham he again had a very physical, hard tackling team

Our squad still lacks these attributes as we have seen with the powder puff performances, especially in midfield , against Preston and QPR.

Be interesting to see what he does.