Positive spin on Monk

Look. Wednesday generally like do better under tough nosed miserable blokes like Ashurst Charlton Wilko Megson etc who tek no nonsense from players and have a plan to win games rather than hope some magic might get us out of the mire.

no one will be faffing about with Monk in charge and in the right sense, he won’t give a monkeys about what we are saying in here. 

He has had also got the stare of a psychopath - bet we will get more decisions from the linesman - otherwise he will give them that “look”

Good luck Gary. Welcome back to Wednesday. Top 6 will do nicely.  

• Haha 1

I’m pleased with this. He has experience, yet he has a lot to prove. If he fooks this up, he is going to really struggle for another job. He needs success as much as we do. He’s young, energetic and seems to play football. He clearly has a stubborn and ruthless streak, I don’t think he will suffer fools. He’s right to keep things steady for now, this squad can challenge, if motivated and organised correctly. He can then make the necessary tweaks in January. 

I think he will shake things up and get us going! Good luck Gazza

To be honest when I heard it was going to be Monk I can't say I was inspired. But reading more about him - he has done a decent job at most clubs without setting the World on fire. Will most likely get a reaction from the squad initially but the test will be how are we travelling come Festive period? 

In the end we had to make an appointment but in hindsight we should have had Monk in charge from start of the season, that said happy that Lee Bullen is still involved it's the least he deserves.

Like any manager who takes over my beloved Owls I will give Monk total support. This season is probably our best chance to get promotion as it doesn't appear to be any real stand outs.  Good luck Garry Monk.

7 hours ago, TheEnchanter said:

Swansea

1st season was in Prem with Swansea. Finished 12th. Came in in Feb and got 18 points from 14 games. 

2nd season finished 8th with Swansea. 

3rd season. Sacked after 12 games with club in 15th.

Leeds 

1st season. Finished 7th with mad man Cellino in charge of the club. Leaves for boro in summer. 

Middlesbrough 

1st season. Sacked after 22 games with team in 8th. 

Birmingham.

1st season. Joins 4th March with club in bottom 3. Keeps them up in 19th.

2nd season. 

2nd season. Finishes 17th with an average Birmingham side. 

If its him back him. 

Worth mentioning that he's a relatively young manager at 40.

3 hours ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Fair enough. Nowt personal. Just so disappointed that this is the best DC could come up with

In fairness to DC he pulled a bit of a rabbit out of the hat last time with Bruce. He was unfortunate how that panned out. 

Given our current situation we need to be a little more realistic about how attractive a club we are for 'in demand' managers. 

With this in mind, although a bit of a steady appointment, I don't see how DC could have done much better.

Fact is Monk's been appointed now and if we want the team to succeed the best thing we can do is support him. 

All this trashing achieves nothing, let's just back him and see what he's made of.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bluesteel said:

This is correct, yet some people are acting as if we’ve just appointed Hockaday or something.

If the concerns were about some of the reports from previous clubs then fair enough but his performance as a manager has been solid.

His record is alright. Never got a team promoted. Never got a team in the play offs. Given our squad we need a manager to do a lot more than alright. 

A 4/10 from me. I think we’d had have more chance of going up with a Cowley or Cook. I also think we’d have more chance of going down.

A safe appointment that could have been made weeks ago. But football innit? You never know. 

1 minute ago, rickygoo said:

His record is alright. Never got a team promoted. Never got a team in the play offs. Given our squad we need a manager to do a lot more than alright. 

A 4/10 from me. I think we’d had have more chance of going up with a Cowley or Cook. I also think we’d have more chance of going down.

A safe appointment that could have been made weeks ago. But football innit? You never know. 

Hes not got a team promoted but he has managed in the premier league. I think it’s a preferable thing to have on a cv but not essential. I think the main thing is that his teams seem to punch above their weight and that’s what we need. 40% win rate on average across various clubs in different situations is about as difficult to beat by much.

Id have been excited by Cowley but I could just as easily see them bringing lower league players and methods in and it bombing.

1 hour ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Based on what?

He did so so at Swansea but flopped everywhere else he’s been - particularly at Leeds. 

His name was linked with us before Lee Johnson was appointed but the fans at BCFC were 100% against him getting the job. He’s definitely seen as a fraud.

It’s just a safe appointment imo. Could have been better, could have been much worse. He will receive my full backing and I’m looking forward to the Huddersfield game next weekend (as long as they don’t appoint Cowley). I’m sure my initial disappointment with Monk getting it will start to fade over the next few days and we can all start to concentrate on the football side of things again. 

8 hours ago, TheEnchanter said:

Swansea

1st season was in Prem with Swansea. Finished 12th. Came in in Feb and got 18 points from 14 games. 

2nd season finished 8th with Swansea. 

3rd season. Sacked after 12 games with club in 15th.

Leeds 

1st season. Finished 7th with mad man Cellino in charge of the club. Leaves for boro in summer. 

Middlesbrough 

1st season. Sacked after 22 games with team in 8th. 

Birmingham.

1st season. Joins 4th March with club in bottom 3. Keeps them up in 19th.

2nd season. 

2nd season. Finishes 17th with an average Birmingham side. 

If its him back him. 

No promotion to his name but it't not a bad record by any means. Keeping Swansea up and midtable was a heck of an achievement, and it showed their decision to sack him in 15th proved ludicrous (getting relegated). Also did a very impressive job at Brummies keeping them up first year and then again despite a 9pt deduction and with a very average squad!

Leeds he did decently at also. Seems a capable manager to me, and could fit in well here. Definately a better record than Rowett, and more attractive option than Pulis who I was dreading we'd get so I'm pleased at this.

Edited by swfc-dan

18 minutes ago, Alan Robinson said:

He did so so at Swansea but flopped everywhere else he’s been - particularly at Leeds. 

His name was linked with us before Lee Johnson was appointed but the fans at BCFC were 100% against him getting the job. He’s definitely seen as a fraud.

I certainly wouldn't call Monk's tenures at Leeds and also Birmingham failures,  what are you actually basing that on? And dont say failed play off attempts cos Leeds were nothing the season before Monk took over and had them missing out on the play offs on goal difference I believe. Fans of both clubs were gutted to see him leave.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Alan Robinson said:

He's got a better record than Lee Johnson!

I'd take the 'so so' record he had at Swansea any day of the week. How did he flop at Birmingham? Not how their fans regard his time there.

25 minutes ago, Alan Robinson said:

So Bristol fans not wanting him means he's a fraud... How about Bristol fans not having a fuckingclue  lol 

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

He's got a better record than Lee Johnson!

I'd take the 'so so' record he had at Swansea any day of the week. How did he flop at Birmingham? Not how their fans regard his time there.

Plus, how did he flop at Leeds?  Left after a contract dispute with Radrizzani.  They finished 7th and nearly in playoffs.