Jo's supporters....

12 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Things went badly wrong in his final ten games, but Luhukay did the job we needed him to do when he arrested our slide under Carvalhal, and he did it very effectively - getting the kind of results which suggested we could be in with a chance of challenging for the playoffs after a full summer to work with the squad, and somehow turning Nuhiu and João into free-scoring centre forwards in the process. Another weird quirk of Luhukay's tenure is that he got Forestieri scoring at a better rate than all his other managers have managed.

It's easy to forget, but we actually started last season well, despite some apparently odd decisions, and sat in the top six after the first dozen games. Unfortunately, once the wheels came off, he appeared to have no clue how to return us to winning ways, and the writing was quickly on the wall. I'd love to hear his take on his Wednesday tenure at some point, as whatever went off behind the scenes during that October international break totally decimated a season which had looked to be going okay up until that point.

There seems to be a binary approach to managers among some Owlstalkers, as if we need to pick sides and be either totally in favour of or totally against each incumbent, leaving very little room for shades of grey. To suggest that anyone who ever saw anything positive during Luhukay's tenure isn't a genuine supporter is just asinine.

Ahh ok..

12 hours ago, RevOwl said:

I just want to ask something of the so called Jos supporters. Now he's finally gone and we've turned ourselves around again since his rightful sacking did the people who used to praise him and rate him actually mean it? I don't believe you possibly could for one minute. I and many more think you were on a wind up or simply United fans that had registered yourselves on here and were full of praise for him because you was overjoyed in watching him destroying our club and hoping we'd stick with him so you could sit back and watch us tumble down the leagues.  He was quite possibly the worst manager we've ever had so to big him up or want him to remain as manager can only mean you had an ulterior motive. Personally i saw through you straight away and so did most people. Only genuine supporters with Wednesday's best interest at heart in future please. UP THE OWLS.

If you could go back in time 12 hours would you post this again?

12 hours ago, RevOwl said:

I just want to ask something of the so called Jos supporters. Now he's finally gone and we've turned ourselves around again since his rightful sacking did the people who used to praise him and rate him actually mean it? I don't believe you possibly could for one minute. I and many more think you were on a wind up or simply United fans that had registered yourselves on here and were full of praise for him because you was overjoyed in watching him destroying our club and hoping we'd stick with him so you could sit back and watch us tumble down the leagues.  He was quite possibly the worst manager we've ever had so to big him up or want him to remain as manager can only mean you had an ulterior motive. Personally i saw through you straight away and so did most people. Only genuine supporters with Wednesday's best interest at heart in future please. UP THE OWLS.

Sorry, I'm confused. Are you wanting to ask something, or just have a special snowflake moment? I don't mind which, it's just I was preparing my answer for you and I now feel I've wasted 3 seconds on compiling it and I'll never get that time back. If I'd have known it was a special snowflake moment, I would have laughed, once, and moved on to the next thread. 2 seconds top.

• Haha 3

To be fair, he had a very tough run of games in the autumn. I think we had a run of about 5 home games in a row where the away either were already top or would have gone top had they beaten us. Even so, I don't think too many of us were asking for him to be kept on when he was sacked. Having said that, have a look at Norwich's record in 2017/18:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017–18_Norwich_City_F.C._season

It's remarkably similar to ours last season

• Thanks 1

Some of me felt bad for him, he had the square root of f all to work with, a host of injuries, zero money to bring in players he wanted. I give him that for having the patience (if he did) to go through the mess that was given to him from upstairs. 

From what was described of him in Germany as a manager, his sides were all very tough to beat. All well organised, all well drilled and knew their jobs

None of the players could do that for him in the second season. We looked far from organised and tough to beat. We looked like a side that would have to score 5 or 6 every game to get a point. The defence (bar away at Villa) was bad, we looked poor in attack, we never looked like an alleged Jos Luhakay side that was described from Bundesliga II.

It all went back to Brentford away where we lost 2-0. I recall watching Barry Bannan in particular standing their on the pitch after they made it 2-0 with a "what are we supposed to do" pose to him. His football was just never working for the side and it seemed he was a bit too stubborn to change it. 

A very, very strange appointment. I respect him for trying to bring the kids through but some of them looked way out of their depth. I was glad he was removed but I don't have all this hatred towards him.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, RevOwl said:

giphy.gif.db6e6da94b10fa17a815c606af13865d.gif

3 hours ago, McRightSide said:

We had a dream run in

Only the blind and blind loyal could think that was due to good management 

The he picked van Aken as the middle of a back 3 for the first game of the following season...

That 'dream run' in included a game at Elland Road (hardly likely to ever be taken lightly there), Preston (2 points outside the play-offs at the time), Fulham (3rd), Wolves (champions with a mere 99 points) and four teams battling to avoid relegation who certainly had more to play for than we did. And before that we had just a single win from the previous ten games, so we were hardly playing with a Manchester City style swagger. You're talking about the last 10 games unbeaten; scoring 21 and conceding 10. That's almost half of the division written off as supposedly ideal opponents with no particular motivation to beat us. :huh:

I don't understand why when some people have made their mind up about a manager, they feel the need to pulverise and rewrite history so that not the tiniest shred of positivity remains. The beating of Norwich on the final day is dismissed with a shrug, 'oh well, they were on the beach TM'. But their position was just the same mid-table security as ours. If such teams don't try, how were we able to thrash them at all? What were we playing for that they weren't? 

Luhukay clearly was not a successful manager for us in the 'long' term. Branding him the worst in our recent or even entire history (as a couple have) is pretty silly. There were a couple of spells in there of good results, but otherwise there was a lot of puzzling selections, possible squad unrest, poor performances and not enough points. History will record him as a failure overall. Why is that so objectionable?

• Thanks 2

Guest Kagoshimaowl
18 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Yes I supported him. 

First, he was appointed manager after an awful period in the latter months under Carlos, so I was happy to give ANY new guy support. 

Then, our results under Jos in 17/18 were promotion form. Why would ANY fan not support that? Especially considering the dire fit squad he was working with.

I lost my way with Jos in 18/19. Whatever he found in 17/18 he lost very quickly.

Promotion form, really??

3 hours ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Promotion form, really??

No you are right. Aged memory gone wrong there.

Just took a look. 

Pre Jos 30 points from 26 games.With Jos 30 points from 22. It was a significant improvement but short of promotion form.

11 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

That 'dream run' in included a game at Elland Road (hardly likely to ever be taken lightly there), Preston (2 points outside the play-offs at the time), Fulham (3rd), Wolves (champions with a mere 99 points) and four teams battling to avoid relegation who certainly had more to play for than we did. And before that we had just a single win from the previous ten games, so we were hardly playing with a Manchester City style swagger. You're talking about the last 10 games unbeaten; scoring 21 and conceding 10. That's almost half of the division written off as supposedly ideal opponents with no particular motivation to beat us. :huh:

I don't understand why when some people have made their mind up about a manager, they feel the need to pulverise and rewrite history so that not the tiniest shred of positivity remains. The beating of Norwich on the final day is dismissed with a shrug, 'oh well, they were on the beach TM'. But their position was just the same mid-table security as ours. If such teams don't try, how were we able to thrash them at all? What were we playing for that they weren't? 

Luhukay clearly was not a successful manager for us in the 'long' term. Branding him the worst in our recent or even entire history (as a couple have) is pretty silly. There were a couple of spells in there of good results, but otherwise there was a lot of puzzling selections, possible squad unrest, poor performances and not enough points. History will record him as a failure overall. Why is that so objectionable?

How was the form of Leeds at the time?

They were imploding. It was the easiest game of the lot.

You were wrong about Jos, it’s fine

On 14/08/2019 at 08:48, RevOwl said:

You’re on drugs mate. That’s ancient history. 

I would have thought a more relevant point is the number of supporters who completely wrote off Westwood and Hutch during that period. I recall having chats on here with fans saying Jos was 100% correct in the way he handled them and that neither were worthy of s place in the team. 

As with most things, it's never that straight forward. Jos decided on a philosophy, the bringing in of youngsters was good, initially his management worked to an extent. But he was far far too rigid and Westwood for one was never treated fairly as far as I can see. For that reason alone, he was always risking a lot, because other players see that and must question why he would never change or admit to a mistake etc.

But we are through that period now, so onwards and upwards. 

I was behind his because he was our manager at the time, like any other manger they will alway get my support. Now he’s gone evidently it was the right decision to dismiss him. 

Same for Bullen, I’ll be supporting him because he’s our current manager, time will tell whether it’s the right decision or not.

Edited by Mr. Chow

I liked Jos, i still like Jos, He gave youngsters a chance, got the best out of Nuhiu i have ever seen and kept us ok towards end of the season after Carlos left. He was dealing with the embargo and injury after injury.

He hadn't adapted to english football yet and if he had more time who knows what could have happened. He shouldn't have just kicked Hutch and westwood to side and he should have tried to attack a bit more. Apart from that he was ok.

Was he perfect, No. Was Bruce better, clearly yes. But to say he was useless and had no upsides is quite frankly one sided. What an absolutely tedious post the OP is and to claim that i don't support the club because i wanted to back a manager is ridiculous.

Just because a manager is sacked doesn't mean he was terrible and anyone who disliked him is somehow right, Jos moving on was the right call because we had the chance to get Bruce, upgrading a manager when you have the chance is valid. Doesn't make Jos terrible.