Jo's supporters....

Was just a stubburn manager and wanted to do things his way ie play the kids 

Give him credit for that tho 

Sure he didn't do it to get the sack

Better experienced managers have done worse than jos in this league ,its a tough league .

If he was totally useless he wouldn't have got teams in Germany promoted.

He was a half decent manager as his first 8 months showed ,it just went t1ts up eventually

Guest LondonOwl313
1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Things went badly wrong in his final ten games, but Luhukay did the job we needed him to do when he arrested our slide under Carvalhal, and he did it very effectively - getting the kind of results which suggested we could be in with a chance of challenging for the playoffs after a full summer to work with the squad, and somehow turning Nuhiu and João into free-scoring centre forwards in the process. Another weird quirk of Luhukay's tenure is that he got Forestieri scoring at a better rate than all his other managers have managed.

It's easy to forget, but we actually started last season well, despite some apparently odd decisions, and sat in the top six after the first dozen games. Unfortunately, once the wheels came off, he appeared to have no clue how to return us to winning ways, and the writing was quickly on the wall. I'd love to hear his take on his Wednesday tenure at some point, as whatever went off behind the scenes during that October international break totally decimated a season which had looked to be going okay up until that point.

There seems to be a binary approach to managers among some Owlstalkers, as if we need to pick sides and be either totally in favour of or totally against each incumbent, leaving very little room for shades of grey. To suggest that anyone who ever saw anything positive during Luhukay's tenure isn't a genuine supporter is just asinine.

I think the one mitigating factor he has is that it seems odd that anyone would choose to leave Westwood and Hutch sat at home, so maybe he was asked to for financial reasons.

But in terms of the games under his tenure, I think it was a disaster. We started off really badly for his first 10 games or so, albeit we had injuries. I note people mentioning the results he got towards the end of 17/18 and 18/19, but for me we were never convincing. Under Carlos and under Bruce, and now under Bullen, I feel confident we have a chance of winning the game most weeks. Even when we won under Jos, I always felt like it was a bit lucky and that we'd soon go on a bad run.

If you look at expected goals, even when we were sat in the top 6 after 12 games we were lucky to be up there. Football is a game of percentages... if you do the right things and get the ball in the right areas, improving shooting accuracy and defending then your chances of winning more games increase. The wheels were always going to fall off if you're playing low percentages, and they predictably did. He just wasn't a good manager for us. And that's not even mentioning his communication skills or the moustache!

1 minute ago, Tamworthowl said:

Jos is most definitely NOT the worst manager we have ever had.

Third worst in my life time behind Eustace and Burtenshaw.

Actually, I think Irvine was worse as well.

Imagine if Jos had arrived just one game later. Bullen in charge at Bramhall lane fresh from a 3-0 home hammering by Burton and a dreadful cup draw at Carlisle. We'd never hear the last of it.

Not forgetting the excellent performances at Elland Road, and Hull (even Rhodes got a goal, and Hector was anonymous), that second half of 17-18 earned Jos a lot of credit entering 18-19. But he quickly lost it after the first international break. 

Too young for Eustace, Burtenshaw, but I can think of more than 3 worse than Jos - Irvine, Turner, 8-0 Wilson, Shreeves and Yorath. Probably on a par with Jewell who is similar to Jos because he had his hands tied behind his back - well I hope that's the reason he brought in Maddix and Westwood

19 minutes ago, WelshOwl74 said:

Better experienced managers have done worse than jos in this league ,its a tough league .

He was a half decent manager as his first 8 months showed ,it just went t1ts up eventually

Ditto

1 hour ago, RevOwl said:

Now your arousing my suspicions again by yet again defending him. I see you managed to get our rivals name in your user name ? Nothing gets past me Mr.

At a time when it seems that everyone is pulling in the right direction ( thanks Bruce )  you start a thread trying to alienate some of our fans. The only suspicion is what you are trying to achieve apart from getting all the usual haters into a divisive rant against fellow fans and the club.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

we were in horrible shape when Jos took over. We had been spanked by Burton Albion, had the blades up next and had almost every first team player in the treatment room.  That included Westwood at the time , who was in the treatment room and even before that was charging around his box like a keystone cop.

It is all very nice and good now we have those players back to fitness, but if it all goes pear shaped again injury wise at least many of the reserves have played first team football at this level. 

2 hours ago, WelshOwl74 said:

I can't work him out. Obviously a capable manager with his record before he came here. Fisrt half season he did well with an injury hit squad. Started the second indifferently for me but somehow we got up to 6ths before it went pear shape.

I don't think our fans took to him because he didn't look like a football manager, what does a football manager look like? who knows but not like Jos with the tache from 50 years ago. I know that's petty but first appearances can be important.

I still can't understand his decision to drop a lot of first team players and play the kids. I can only think that he was told we were up the creek without a paddle and that we would need to get rid of most of them at the end of their contracts and that the rest would have to be sold to cut the debt. That is the only thing that makes any kind of sense. Blood the kids and try to stay clear of relegation so that this year the kids would have a bit more experience and we could slowly get back to normal. If that is the case he was the victim of circumstances. Maybe given a free hand to bring in players like the snake and Bullen he wouldn't have picked the kids and we would have done better last year.

Maybe it will all come clear in a few years if he writes his memoirs.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RevOwl said:

I just want to ask something of the so called Jos supporters. Now he's finally gone and we've turned ourselves around again since his rightful sacking did the people who used to praise him and rate him actually mean it? I don't believe you possibly could for one minute. I and many more think you were on a wind up or simply United fans that had registered yourselves on here and were full of praise for him because you was overjoyed in watching him destroying our club and hoping we'd stick with him so you could sit back and watch us tumble down the leagues.  He was quite possibly the worst manager we've ever had so to big him up or want him to remain as manager can only mean you had an ulterior motive. Personally i saw through you straight away and so did most people. Only genuine supporters with Wednesday's best interest at heart in future please. UP THE OWLS.

I, for one, am very glad he’s gone.

Heres hoping the new manager Steve Bruce can serve up promotion & we can get rid of Abdi.

• Haha 1

I admire the o/p in his persistence in not letting these fans who had incorrect opinion get away with it.

I look forward to his next installment of finding out what those who were putting pressure on Wednesdayite to sell their shares to DA were thinking of?

On a personal level I will re-open the pizza gate thread now Mark Beevers career flopped and he didn't get anywhere near the PL. He shouldn't have been eating pizza after a match he didn't play end of-it's unprofessional and demonstrated a lack of commitment.

4 hours ago, WelshOwl74 said:

He was gash and would have taken us down. Let his ego run wild (not selecting Hutchinson and Westwood ) to the detriment of the team. Thank goodness DC saw sense and realised.

Edited by ZicoSterland2

No I've simply been waiting the said 7 months for the Jos fanatics who saw him as the best thing since sliced bread to say they were wrong and should never EVER support anyone who's clearly harming our great club. It's like demanding Fox plays week in week out it's just not what you do if you really do want success for your club. It's very simple really. 

7 minutes ago, RevOwl said:

No I've simply been waiting the said 7 months for the Jos fanatics who saw him as the best thing since sliced bread to say they were wrong and should never EVER support anyone who's clearly harming our great club. It's like demanding Fox plays week in week out it's just not what you do if you really do want success for your club. It's very simple really. 

Ah, so we have a motive for this thread. The motive being that you want "Jos fanatics" to apologise for supporting Jos, who was the manager of Sheffield Wednesday at the time.

Can you name some of the "Jos fanatics" who haven't yet apologised for supporting the manager of Sheffield Wednesday at the time? I know a few posters have expressed their dismay at supporting the bloke over the last few months, but as you've been monitoring Owlstalk closely enough to have spotted that a few yet haven't admitted they were wrong, it'd be great if you could name and shame them. 

Edited by StudentOwl

2 minutes ago, RevOwl said:

very unforgiving for a man of the cloth Rev

Jos was crap...he's gone end of it..Carvalhal, Jones etc..were good then indifferent then bad..Its over...

Almost every incumbent or player have divided opinion...just cos that opinion differs from your own hardly makes them less of a Wednesday fan.

Its all hindsight anyhow...

11 minutes ago, RevOwl said:

Thought a man of the cloth was supposed to turn the other cheek ?

• Haha 2