Release clause - Bruce

16 minutes ago, WAWAWUTO17 said:

Could it be Ashley told Bruce to resign so he didn't have to pay the 3.5 million and simply pay his 2 million in wages for the year ?

Therefore making someone aware of the clause to get an upper hand is illegal.

I think he could have told them to resign to force the issue (or they could’ve decided themselves) but NUFC will have had to pay whatever was due contractually for that to be defended.

Edited by Bluesteel

9 minutes ago, WAWAWUTO17 said:

Could it be Ashley told Bruce to resign so he didn't have to pay the 3.5 million and simply pay his 2 million in wages for the year ?

Therefore making someone aware of the clause to get an upper hand is illegal.

Maybe you are on to something here.

In any other industry, the process would be to accept an offer from elsewhere and then resign your current post. Nobody who behaves normally in these circumstances would resign and then start looking around for their next £2m contract.

Maybe Mr C feels that, in accepting an offer from elsewhere without his knowledge or without his written permission is in breach of EPL rules. Therefore, whichever way the cloth is cut, maybe he feels that Ashley and Bruce have not done this correctly.

If so, I am inclined to think that Mr C has done exactly the right thing.

If I were to speculate from all of the reports  I'd say that:

NUFC haven't paid the release clause amount.

They used it get to to talk to Bruce. This is why we are challenging where this came from.

They then wouldn't pay.

We wouldn't let him go.

He resigned.

We are now fighting for our rightful payment of 3.5m for Bruce plus payment for the others.

If you really want background to managers contracts. Here is a great article.

https://www.lawinsport.com/topics/articles/item/football-manager-contracts-of-employment-an-analysis-of-key-clauses-for-clubs-to-consider-part-1

BTW A managers release clause is not legally binding. However it is governed by Premier League rules which clubs must abide by.

This article xplains the clauses that the PL have. Basically clubs are commercial entities and have to have rules to achieve stability.

This hasn't come from us because we aren't saying anything. DC has form on running a tight ship. We do not leak.

It must have come from the snake or the barcodes, they have been on a media blitz trying to get support and rubbishing our position. On that basis I'm not tempted to give it much credence.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rogers said:

What’s £3.5m going to protect you against; Kidderminster Harriers coming for your manager. 

When certain players have £225m buy out clauses maybe! 

Ashley was reportedly looking at 1M initially.

Your point is relevant if the clause is known.

I am saying that a clause is intended to be undisclosed only to be triggered if the potential buyer is interested enough to reach that valuation whilst being uninformed.

Otherwise you would publicly announce the valuation...

28 minutes ago, alanharper said:

If the release clause is £3.5m why was Ashley trying to haggle to get him for a reported £1m? You either pay up or you fk off. 

Read the small print in your cone-tract.

Because Ashley.

10 hours ago, Rogers said:

If release clauses are meant to be secret, how are other clubs supposed to activate it? 

Maybe Bruce's agent, who probably has a copy of the contract did his job and told them. 

I would think our argument is that Newcastle should have asked permission to speak to Bruce at which point we would have either said yes or no. If we had said yes that would have been the point where we advised them of the clause. Then it would be up to them whether to go ahead or not.

4 hours ago, Mycroft said:

DC must have run it past his lawyers so it must be worth a shot.  Reckon there is more to this than what has been leaked.   

Must be more to it as these things always get found out. Lawyers though yes will always say it is worth a shot even a few letters send will generate a few 0000 for them.

11 hours ago, Rogers said:

If release clauses are meant to be secret, how are are other clubs supposed to activate it? 

Maybe Bruce's agent, who probably has a copy of the contract did his job and told them. 

They put a valuation on the person they want , approach the club and if it meets the figure in the contract, the owning club allow their person to speak to the interested party

3 minutes ago, Mister Soul said:

They put a valuation on the person they want , approach the club and if it meets the figure in the contract, the owning club allow their person to speak to the interested party

I get the concept, but nothing stops a club from keep coming back until they hit the figure or just asking what it’ll take for us to get our man! 

At £3.5m it’s hardly a deterrent for a Premier League club 

11 hours ago, Rogers said:

If release clauses are meant to be secret, how are are other clubs supposed to activate it? 

They aren't supposed to activate it; we are.

The club is approached by Newcastle, DC says "clause" and then they know. What seems to have happened here is that this information has been passed on to Newcastle, so they knew in advance what to do, before making an official approach. If that clause was confidential, and SB's contract stipulated such, then it's this what DC is complaining about.

Or so it seems.

3 minutes ago, Mister Soul said:

I get the concept, but nothing stops a club from keep coming back until they hit the figure or just asking what it’ll take for us to get our man! 

At £3.5m it’s hardly a deterrent for a Premier League club