An unpopular opinion.

I know this opinion won't be popular on here but looking beyond the obvious knee jerk "Bruce is a snake" narrative, why would a manager jump ship from a club where he is loved by the fans to a club where he is already hated and are  favourites to be relegated? A club with a well known toxic atmosphere...

Because they are his boyhood club?

Not buying it.

I'm more inclined to believe that Bruce was unhappy at Wednesday. We already know he had showdown talks with DC about refusing to sell players. We already know he couldn't buy players.

It came out on one of the earlier twitter rumours about his departure that the chairman let him down in terms of promises given. 

If we were in a position to get up I don't see him jumping ship. 

I know this post will accumulate negs from all the usuals but it's not an opinion currently being aired on this forum which is why it should be discussed.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Beholder said:

I know this opinion won't be popular on here but looking beyond the obvious knee jerk "Bruce is a snake" narrative, why would a manager jump ship from a club where he is loved by the fans to a club where he is already hated and are  favourites to be relegated? A club with a well known toxic atmosphere...

Not buying it.

I'm more inclined to believe that Bruce was unhappy at Wednesday. We already know he had showdown talks with DC about refusing to sell players. We already know he couldn't buy players.

It came out on one of the earlier twitter rumours about his departure that the chairman let him down in terms of promises given. 

I know this post will accumulate negs from all the usuals but it's not an opinion currently being aired on this forum which is why it should be discussed.

Do we ? 

• Thanks 1

The squad as it is right now - is capable of top 6 this season..  if we don't get a injury crisis.  Bruce never gave it a chance did he..  fair enough at xmas if

we was floundering and he can't bring anybody in then he may have had reason too.

We have cleared some deadwood - bought in some pace and drive.  

DC might not be refusing to sell players,  just not receiving the right bids / value.

3 minutes ago, Beholder said:

Not buying it.

I'll be the first.

• Like 1

Bruce knew the score from the beginning.  'There is no budget'.  There were no surprises here.  He said time and time again, he'd release a few, keep a few, sign 3-4 and then loan.  Nothing has happened to show that has changed at all.

Twitter rumours?  Really?!

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Beholder said:

Not buying it.

He was courting Newcastle, a month ago. This wasnt about unrest.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Chansiri has a very hands on approach, Bruce probably wanted to get on with the job with no interference from above.

At Newcastle, although Ashley is hardly the nicest man to work for, he’s so far removed from Newcastle he probably couldn’t even name 5 of his players. 

Plus a rumoured 90m to spend or a transfer embargo? 

Edited by SallyCinnamon

Bruce new the situation regarding money as he mentioned in a documented interview, other than a rumour on the internet there are no solid facts he had showdown talks with Chansiri.

He has a history of taking a dump from a great height on previous clubs, the way I see it he fancied the Newcastle job in the Premier League and did whatever it took to get it not caring on the impact it would have on us. 

He has gone about it in a disgusting manner and that is what our fans are angry about. If he had come out and said look I want to manage Newcastle before I retire and this will be my last opportunity and I know its leaving Wednesday in the lurch and they have treated me well then our fans would not react like they are to him.

As it stands he is coming across as a liar and a man of very low morals who just looks after himself.

• Like 2

Think basically a Premier League Club came calling and 90% of time a player or manager will go.
Bruce probably saw it as probably his last chance to be a manager in that league and didn't mind upsetting a few people to take it.
Realistically I am not sure what Wednesday could have done differently.

• Like 1

Let's have a look at the facts shall we;

- He knew about the P&S situation - he talked about it during his first interview, and during many interviews since

- He's been allowed to bring in his own staff - Clemence, Agnew, Strudwick, Downes and Hughs

- He's signed 3 players this pre-season and a contract sorted for Westwood, Palmer and presumably Lee

- Chansiri has sorted the financial side....

So what bit would he be unhappy about?

If he says he's unhappy with the P&S stuff, then it's a lame excuse given the above facts. 

Stop believing the Bruce PR machine....

2 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Think basically a Premier League Club came calling and 90% of time a player or manager will go.
Bruce probably saw it as probably his last chance to be a manager in that league and didn't mind upsetting a few people to take it.
Realistically I am not sure what Wednesday could have done differently.

Agreed.

As others have said it's the way he's gone about it.

At least be a man and own your situation.

Time to move on.

• Like 1

Unreal this. How much more evidence do people need to see Steve Bruce for what he is?! He has jumped ship multiple times throughout his career. He was fully aware of the financial situation when he arrived at the club. The chairman has done whatever possible this summer to alleviate that situation (admittedly he could have avoided it by selling players). Our chairman gave Steve Bruce as much freedom as possible in the transfer market. Do you really think domestic signings like Odubajo and Harris were suggested from elsewhere? Also Aaron and Lazzaar for that matter? Time to close the book on this now and for everyone to accept that Steve Bruce did what he thought was best for him without any regard for this football club.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Beholder said:

I said something similar in some lost bruce thread. I think one of the reasons he left is; he's not confident we will be challenging for promotion this season.

However, he knew what he was walking into when he came. He overestimated our chances. The Newcastle job was a convenient excuse to jump ship, imho.

“We’ve got a long road ahead but there are some good players here who have probably been underperforming. I asked the chairman about the budget and he said there isn’t one, so we all know where we stand. I know the club has been operating under financial fair play restrictions.

1 minute ago, bigdan2003 said:

Let's have a look at the facts shall we;

- He knew about the P&S situation - he talked about it during his first interview, and during many interviews since

- He's been allowed to bring in his own staff - Clemence, Agnew, Strudwick, Downes and Hughs

- He's signed 3 players this pre-season and a contract sorted for Westwood, Palmer and presumably Lee

- Chansiri has sorted the financial side....

So what bit would he be unhappy about?

If he says he's unhappy with the P&S stuff, then it's a lame excuse given the above facts. 

Stop believing the Bruce PR machine....

Some people on here will believe any old pony if it gives them an opportunity to give the Chairman a shoeing.

• Thanks 1