An unpopular opinion.

29 minutes ago, Beholder said:

I know this opinion won't be popular on here but looking beyond the obvious knee jerk "Bruce is a snake" narrative, why would a manager jump ship from a club where he is loved by the fans to a club where he is already hated and are  favourites to be relegated? A club with a well known toxic atmosphere...

Because they are his boyhood club?

Not buying it.

I'm more inclined to believe that Bruce was unhappy at Wednesday. We already know he had showdown talks with DC about refusing to sell players. We already know he couldn't buy players.

It came out on one of the earlier twitter rumours about his departure that the chairman let him down in terms of promises given. 

If we were in a position to get up I don't see him jumping ship. 

I know this post will accumulate negs from all the usuals but it's not an opinion currently being aired on this forum which is why it should be discussed.

In reality his decision was probably based on a bit of all your points including Newcastle being the club he supports, but its all in the past now, so who cares? Time to move on

23 minutes ago, Beholder said:

I know this opinion won't be popular on here but looking beyond the obvious knee jerk "Bruce is a snake" narrative, why would a manager jump ship from a club where he is loved by the fans to a club where he is already hated and are  favourites to be relegated? A club with a well known toxic atmosphere...

Not buying it.

I'm more inclined to believe that Bruce was unhappy at Wednesday. We already know he had showdown talks with DC about refusing to sell players. We already know he couldn't buy players.

It came out on one of the earlier twitter rumours about his departure that the chairman let him down in terms of promises given. 

I know this post will accumulate negs from all the usuals but it's not an opinion currently being aired on this forum which is why it should be discussed.

Think he was well aware of the situation when he joined if you look back on some of his interviews.We don't know he had showdown talks with DC , just a rumour on here. He was aware money might not be available again in his interviews on joining club. This is not of DCs making it is Bruce doing what he has always done throughout his management career jumping ship when a better offer comes in. Loyalty is not high up on his agenda. If you want someone to blame the buck stops with Bruce.

37 minutes ago, Beholder said:

Not buying it.

100 % spot on ,echos my fears right from the beginning of  'the snake' saga ... especially having seen shearers comments of 3 weeks ago ! 

We'd have all considered going to Wednesday if we were managing a team in League 1!

I can't blame Bruce for this, I think he's potentially shafted us out of any compensation but don't really know what to believe about any of it and until the club say anything we only have bullshish rumours to go off.

We don't know anything about so called talks he had with DC or broken promises, again the club silence gives way to ridiculous rumours.

All is not lost. Bruce has actually left this squad in potentially the best physical shape we've known since DC's arrival (only pre season games to go on but we look fitter than I remember) and if we act fairly quickly (no knee jerk Zola appointments please) there's no reason we can't do well this season.

IMO we're a couple of players short and Lee Hutch Pelupessy Bannan at CM frightens me!

We should be confident of top half and with the right appointment and subsequent 2/3/4 additions to squad I think we could challenge for top 6

The man at Newcastle doesn't get control of transfers, probably why Bruce is Head Coach and not Manager.

It says it all about Bruce, that when he joined us he said he'd never take a job where he wasn't in control of transfers... Except he's just done so and tried every dirty trick in the book to make it happen.

Now it is technically possible that his job was so restricted here that he had to leave, however the evidence, almost entirely, points to the fact that Steve Bruce is prepared to do anything to look after Steve Bruce! 

Honestly think we are better off without him.

Some decent responses in the thread form posters who are staying on topic.

Then the predictable 'attack the poster' responses from the usuals which are to be expected but do stifle discussion on this forum.. 

The situation at Wednesday is certainly a factor. It's a factor that can't be excluded , and the 'bruce is a snake' narrative, whilst compelling , avoids looking at that. 

Im more interested in our situation and how that is influencing things than Bruce's character tbh. I don't care about Bruce's character but I do know he is a very good championship manager and I'm sad we lost him.

We probably won't get anyone as good 

2 minutes ago, Bing Cosby said:

The man at Newcastle doesn't get control of transfers, probably why Bruce is Head Coach and not Manager.

It says it all about Bruce, that when he joined us he said he'd never take a job where he wasn't in control of transfers... Except he's just done so and tried every dirty trick in the book to make it happen.

Now it is technically possible that his job was so restricted here that he had to leave, however the evidence, almost entirely, points to the fact that Steve Bruce is prepared to do anything to look after Steve Bruce! 

Honestly think we are better off without him.

Agree till the last bit. We'd be better off if he'd knuckled down, signed his 3 more players and got on with a highly succesful season.

Remains to be seen if someone can take on his good pre-season work and shape it futher into a succesful season.

33 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Chansiri has a very hands on approach, Bruce probably wanted to get on with the job with no interference from above.

At Newcastle, although Ashley is hardly the nicest man to work for, he’s so far removed from Newcastle he probably couldn’t even name 5 of his players. 

Plus a rumoured 90m to spend or a transfer embargo? 

If there was £90m to spend, Rafa wouldn't have left. In one if his last interviews, Rafa said that he wasn't asking for the money to compete with the top 6 but he thought the club had to at least try to compete with the teams from 7th-12th and he inferred that he wasn't being given a budget to even do that.

18 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Not really. Combination of factors. You really do have issues.

Now that's not very nice is it.

Suggesting someone has "issues".

Tut tut. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, briggowl said:

Agree till the last bit. We'd be better off if he'd knuckled down, signed his 3 more players and got on with a highly succesful season.

Remains to be seen if someone can take on his good pre-season work and shape it futher into a succesful season.

Don't get me wrong Brigg, we could well be in proverbial in the short term... Losing a good manager a few weeks before the start of the season is going to be a big blow to anyone!

However, he has shown that he could have jumped ship at any time, if we are serious about building something in the long term, then we don't need someone like that leading us, regardless off how talented they may be.

1 minute ago, briggowl said:

We'd have all considered going to Wednesday if we were managing a team in League 1!

And most would say, soz boss I'm off, I know i'm a tw@t but I won't leave until compo is arranged. If the Wednesday chairman won't pay it, i will stay cos obviously he would be tekin the pizz out of me.

Course if they don't pay it I might just resign, then i will truely be the biggest tw@t in football...no hard feelings eh:ohmy:

10 minutes ago, Beholder said:

Some decent responses in the thread form posters who are staying on topic.

Then the predictable 'attack the poster' responses from the usuals which are to be expected but do stifle discussion on this forum.. 

The situation at Wednesday is certainly a factor. It's a factor that can't be excluded , and the 'bruce is a snake' narrative, whilst compelling , avoids looking at that. 

Im more interested in our situation and how that is influencing things than Bruce's character tbh. I don't care about Bruce's character but I do know he is a very good championship manager and I'm sad we lost him.

We probably won't get anyone as good 

You haven't considered it as a factor.

You've discounted everything else and stated the reason Bruce left is because he didn't think we could compete.

Perhaps read your own posts before playing the victim card. 

Edited by SiJ

42 minutes ago, No Uniform said:

He was courting Newcastle, a month ago. This wasnt about unrest.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/alan-shearer-reveals-urged-steve-16604321

Shearer told him 3 weeks ago not to take the job - "if he was approached and offered the job"

This has been brewing for ages.

1 minute ago, SiJ said:

You haven't considered it as a factor.

You've discounted everything else and stated the reason Bruce left is because he didn't think we could compete.

Perhaps read your own posts before playing the victim card. 

Ah the old 'victim' chestnut. Didn't take long did it.

Is it time for you to post your 'crying man' gif?

Or maybe grow up and stop posting about posters....

48 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

he’s so far removed from Newcastle he probably couldn’t even name 5 of his players. 

37 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Of course every transfer is ran through him he pays for it. 

:duntmatter:

• Haha 3

57 minutes ago, Beholder said:

Not buying it.

You are over complicating it..Bruce is a snake who dosnt know the meaning of the word loyalty. 

when Bruce came here (after sunning it up for a month) I was pleased. 

We’d got shot of Jos. And I kept thinking about how SB had been promoted before. He knew how to build a winning formula. 

But after seeing NUFCs dislike for him, I read up about his managerial history. 

PIGS walked out

HUDDS sacked

WIGAN walked out

PALACE walked out

BRUM walked out

WIGAN resigned 

SUNDERS sacked

HULL walked out

VILLA sacked

WEDNESDAY walked out

It’s like watching a crime investigation or a thriller... all the signs are there but when you put all the pieces together, you can’t believe you fell for it. 

God Damn Cabbage !!!

• Like 1