Dawson

Dawson has gone backwards in recent games, his confidence has clearly taken a knock. He never used to flap at crosses like this - I wouldn't mind if he had a good punch on him but he can't seem to get distance on it at all. 

To be expected I suppose for a young keeper trying to establish himself, but he's becoming a liability. Hope Weaver has him practising catching crosses non stop for the next 2 weeks... 

PS I do rate him but he needs to build his confidence back up

Edited by shtommer

4 hours ago, Miffed said:

I think the whole "Doesn't command his area" is just a load of cliched dribble that rolls off peoples tongues sometimes. Its just an easy thing to say about any goalkeeper and you dont really have to back it up with evidence. 

I cant remember many occasions (if any) where we have conceded due to Dawson not commanding his area, definitely not in the past few games. Maybe due to the defense not doing their jobs properly, yeah, but certainly not Dawson. 

We don’t need to concede for people to highlight something that’s happening that needs to improve. 

"Dawson doesn't command his area"

Pretty sure when I was watching the West Brom game Dawson was screaming at Pudil (one of our more experienced players too) to get forward because he was sitting too far back from the goal kick. Pudil ran forward. 

Is that not commanding enough?

Everyone needs to forget about Westwood. He was a great player for us but Wildsmith and Dawson stepped up when he was injured, and unfortunately that's part of the game. You have to earn your place back into the squad and clearly he isn't doing that. 

Jos has said repeatedly that its the defence that is the issue. Dawson has faced more shots than any other keeper. Instead of berating him, maybe we should focus on reducing the number of shots. Take enough shots at goal and sooner or later a goal will come, even the best would struggle to stop that.

Edited by HootHoot

7 hours ago, shtommer said:

Dawson has gone backwards in recent games, his confidence has clearly taken a knock. He never used to flap at crosses like this - I wouldn't mind if he had a good punch on him but he can't seem to get distance on it at all. 

To be expected I suppose for a young keeper trying to establish himself, but he's becoming a liability. Hope Weaver has him practising catching crosses non stop for the next 2 weeks... 

PS I do rate him but he needs to build his confidence back up

Damned with faint praise...he's a young keeper who hasn't let us down despite all the goalkeeper coaches on here

1 hour ago, daveyboy66 said:

Damned with faint praise...he's a young keeper who hasn't let us down despite all the goalkeeper coaches on here

Thats the main point..We have had a plethora of keepers who had different strong and weak aspects to their game...Ola Tidman had err.. the latter aspect...

Westwood against Sunderland last year had a couple of brainf*rts that Dawson has never had...The lads a decent keeper, Westwood I admit is probably a better one, but he's not on the teamsheet, and its not Dawsons fault.

The only way to stop this criticism is to let Owls fans know WHY Westwood isn't on the teamsheet, if there is a good reason why not let us know what it is...It would certainly get Dawson off a hook he really doesn't deserve to be on

On 07/10/2018 at 14:29, Not Jon Newsome said:

As I've said before he's the New scapegoat for the cavemen, he's kept the score at 0-0 ffs and made the most saves in the division.

Its ok for you to refer to us as caveman but I cant refer to you as a wee pipe. Not very good standards on here are they. 

4 minutes ago, CLswfc said:

Its ok for you to refer to us as caveman but I cant refer to you as a wee pipe. Not very good standards on here are they. 

You're bang on with that comment mate 

please report any posts that are abusive and the mod team will remove 

It's time everyone just got along and stopped with any name calling

Owlstalk Shop

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

You're bang on with that comment mate 

please report any posts that are abusive and the mod team will remove 

It's time everyone just got along and stopped with any name calling

See the source image

• Like 1

12 hours ago, shtommer said:

Dawson has gone backwards in recent games, his confidence has clearly taken a knock. 

Has he really?....on Sunday he made 1 nailed on match saving save and then pinged an 80 yard ball to Joao to score.

If he's gone backward to that standard then I'm surprised we didn't cash in when he must have been putting in £75m performances.

Dawson has a right to be reallllly pi$$ed off with the stick hes getting on social media, main reason for being pi$$ed off is that his performances in the main this season, have been nowt short of excellent. He actually deserves the amount of stick hes getting, reversed to praise, yes based on performance. 

His Handling of low shots, even if fierce and bouncing in front of him, is awesome.

his 1 v 1s are a joy to watch, doesnt make the first move and stays up late, big. im talking exactly the save he made v brizzle from the handball chance, but there are many others. 

oh hes just copying the schmeical way....well why wunt ya? plenty of others havent and it is to their detriment,

any saves a good save they say? well even when he's flapping hes coming thru a ruck of players and getting SOMINK on it. and the somink is the all important touch. many a time at full stretch a finger tip with the slightest of deviation on the ball is enough to take it off someones head.. what im trying to say is id much rather he keeps showing the confidence to come for the ball, than be rooted to his line everytime hoping the defence win the 1st header.

Shot stopping? oh blah blah all keepers are good at shot stopping nowadays right.. maybe most are, but this young kid has been exceptional hasnt he?

commanding his area thats being talked about... jonesy87 did a good thread on ere the other week about it and he was spot on tbf, didnt hammer Dawson at all but pointed out some finer points. starting point etc.

if that is an issue its an expected one? last thing a new young keeper wants to do is come rushing out, not getting there and its a goal.

Hes hesitant at times due to his safety first attitude, but i prefer that than him be the other way. 

had westwood died slipping on a wispa wrapper in waitrose and banging his head on the floor..... or moved to watford... these issues folk are talking about wouldnt be talked about, all the over the top hysteria, is cos KW s still here.

dont know if ive ever seen such a skewed view form such a wide proportion of folk.. and i dont mean criticism of him, thats fine.

i mean how disproportionate it is to reality. 

still getting posts about goin on training ground to learn to catch ffs.... HE CAN CATCH like you wouldnt believe on the training ground. like a freak in fact, cos hes been doing it probably forever... but thru a melee at great speed with big strong guys with screaming fans in a real match... its not quite so easy for a young kid finding his way in the mens game, to get it right everytime.... but so.foukin.what! 

Dawson and Penney are the two big things to come out of this season so far.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, fred mciver said:

Goalies worried about a bit of stick on here won't make it.

Dawson won't let that bother him but he's young and will make costly errors.

Westy while he's learning and top 6 this season.

What part of "Westwood won't play for us again" are you struggling with?

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 3