Dawson

On 07/10/2018 at 19:15, Bluesteel said:

Capable of some very good saves and clearly has a lot of potential but I think some people are pretending there isn’t any uncertainty about the defence in terms of communication and dealing with balls into the box which there has been all season so far.

It’s important to give these players the first team football they crave but how much of it and where depends on their level of readiness. We do also have Joe Wildsmith who has similar promise and may also be worth a shot at nailing the position down if the scary moments continue. 

Its starting to look like if we can learn how to get a clean sheet or two the league is an open one and the rewards are huge.

In this many games last year Wildsmith had dropped a number of major clangers

22 hours ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

Lots of assumptions there , I’m glad Dawson has the ability to be the best in the league that’s reassuring , I look forward to him realising his potential . I am a big fan of Westwood and I cannot for the life in me understand why he can no longer play for us . I don’t really care though just want the best players to play and give us the best chance of going up . Oh and your statement regarding Dawson’s confidence is not as high because he is getting slated  by Westwood fans I just cannot agree with at all !!.

He must notice the groans when a punch or clearance dosn't come off. Dawsons ability is blatantly obvious to most people. Obviously not you. At least i not making the assumption that I know better than the manager does. An assumption you make. Try understanding this as its so difficult as you state. KW IS NOT PLAYING AS THE MANAGER THINKS WE HAVE BETTER GOAL KEEPERS THAN HIM. Can you understand that I don't care. Try backing the young goal keeper who is part of the future of the club. I will assume you would rather go back to last season when if KW was fit to play his form was poor. So carry on moaning while the rest of us support the managers choices and the players he chooses.

5 hours ago, Ian said:

Are you blind or just don't go?.....Sunday was just about his best game for us including match winning saves and an 80 yard ball to set up a goal

You make some great points in this thread. 

I think he could do with a run of cup games, so only playing once a week. He needs a little more coaching and still has a tonne to learn.

I can't wait to see him next season. If we can sort out our defence, with a season behind him, he could well go for what DC paid for the club.

As with most stats, pinch of salt. He saved a shot on target on Sunday due to him not catching it in the first place. Hector went mental at him. I'm sure they hit the post after a similar event as well. Brilliant save from the one on one he had though. Started to come and catch the ball in the second half and looked a lot better. 

Our defence will also be shaky from crosses until he starts commanding his area. The match experience is vital for him and luckily his mistakes haven't cost us a goal. Westwood is still a better keeper and that can't be up for debate. My guess is there's something going on in the background that's not being said. Contract stuff etc. Boni for playing, clean sheets. Same goes for the other senior players that aren't getting a look in but are supposedly fit.

1 hour ago, GerOwl said:

As with most stats, pinch of salt. He saved a shot on target on Sunday due to him not catching it in the first place. Hector went mental at him. I'm sure they hit the post after a similar event as well. Brilliant save from the one on one he had though. Started to come and catch the ball in the second half and looked a lot better. 

Our defence will also be shaky from crosses until he starts commanding his area. The match experience is vital for him and luckily his mistakes haven't cost us a goal. Westwood is still a better keeper and that can't be up for debate. My guess is there's something going on in the background that's not being said. Contract stuff etc. Boni for playing, clean sheets. Same goes for the other senior players that aren't getting a look in but are supposedly fit.

What! Do you mean Boyd and Jones? They're dog șhït that's why there not getting a look in. Dawson can and will command his box, he was doing it at the end of last season and he did it second half on Sunday, he just needs a bit more confidence in himself and people getting on his back ain't helping. I'm absolutely sick of hearing about Westwood. He's not in Jos's plans so can't we all forget about it. Hopefully he gets moved on in January and that will be the end of it

2 hours ago, 2soon said:

I think he could do with a run of cup games, so only playing once a week. He needs a little more coaching and still has a tonne to learn.

What are you on about.....a run of Cup games means playing once a week does it?

It could mean playing once more this season at the start of Jan.....even if we win the bloody thing he'd only play 6 more games in the next 7 months!

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, hirstys_achilles said:

He must notice the groans when a punch or clearance dosn't come off. Dawsons ability is blatantly obvious to most people. Obviously not you. At least i not making the assumption that I know better than the manager does. An assumption you make. Try understanding this as its so difficult as you state. KW IS NOT PLAYING AS THE MANAGER THINKS WE HAVE BETTER GOAL KEEPERS THAN HIM. Can you understand that I don't care. Try backing the young goal keeper who is part of the future of the club. I will assume you would rather go back to last season when if KW was fit to play his form was poor. So carry on moaning while the rest of us support the managers choices and the players he chooses.

Haha what are you  on ?? I’m not even going to argue with you can’t be bothered as you have clearly not really got what I was trying to say hey ho 

I really don't get the argument on this ….bloke gets injured and misses half a season ,his replacement comes in  does well and keeps the shirt …..heaton was the bees knees at burnley, got injured and then cant replace pope coz he played so well ……..it happens on many occasions that players who are out for a long time cant win there place back but if it happens here there's all sorts on conspiracy theories .  

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, stanningtonowl said:

Think rudeness is your default position. Either be polite or don't comment. Yes I do go. Or how else would I know? 

Since when has not going stopped folk having an opinion....for years I thought it was mandatory to start a call to praise or grumble with "I've not been today but ".......xxx was poo .....yyy was brilliant

But fair play for going.....better get to spec savers then!

Just now, sw1867 said:

You are bang on Torry but the club or KW  haven’t helped with this.

In the Burnley analogy you give, I assume Heaton sat on the bench? Here, with KW not being in the squad or even training with the first team it causes the conspiracy theories.

The sooner KW leaves the better it will be for everyone, including KW.

we need wildsmith to go down with the flu next week and see if westwood makes the bench  …..if it is westwood then he's 3rd choice on merit  if it's wallis then there's probably summat going off . 

• Like 1

I really don’t think our goalkeepers have been chosen purely on merit because Westwood would be closer to playing . The bizarre thing for me is promoting Dawson to our number 1 keeper It can’t have been on form alone can it really he’s hardly played . I’m not dissing Dawson at all just puzzled as to why Westwood has been treated like he’s rubbish . 

1. Nobody other than those very close to the club know why KW isn’t playing. Jos might want to play him but there may be other factors preventing this. Either way it’s not Dawson’s fault.

2. Have those that accuse Dawson of being a ‘flapper’ ever played in goal? Seriously, have you?

It’s the hardest and most scrutinised position on the pitch.

Even the great Peter Schmeichel ‘flapped’ at a few, it’s called being human and sometimes mis judging the flight of a football. It happens. 

Dawson’s saves and excellent handling are taken for granted by a few fans. Such a shame that in the week that we make the top 6, the knives come out for Dawson. Give the lad a bit of support.

• Haha 1

After the way George Hirst was banned from playing then allowed to train but not play and now how Westwood has been dropped , then Abdi isn’t allowed to get match fit but then he is later , nothing surprises me anymore .DC ‘s tenure has changed a lot of fans approach to following our great football club that’s for sure . Hope the Dawson flak stops too . 

I think the whole "Doesn't command his area" is just a load of cliched dribble that rolls off peoples tongues sometimes. Its just an easy thing to say about any goalkeeper and you dont really have to back it up with evidence. 

I cant remember many occasions (if any) where we have conceded due to Dawson not commanding his area, definitely not in the past few games. Maybe due to the defense not doing their jobs properly, yeah, but certainly not Dawson.