Dawson

The thing people need to get into there head is that Westwood is done. Hes never going to play for us again. He pretty much dosn't exist. 

We could be equally higher or lower if he had played. But he hasn't and the squad, which dosnt include Westwood has got us up to a fantastic 6th.

The Westwood arguement is quite frankly pointless. 

5 minutes ago, torryowl said:

So you think Dawson as cost us games .....which ones?

Westwood would.have kept a few clean sheets no doubt also he was handy at saving pens.

So over the season he would.have won us a few games like in previous seasons.

IMO.

10 minutes ago, Maxine said:

Westwood would.have kept a few clean sheets no doubt also he was handy at saving pens.

IMO.

But would he? Are you 100% sure? Or are you just throwing it out there. 

Facts are, we are 6th, with Dawson. Westwood hasnt played this season  so we have no idea (this season) if Westwood would be any better. 

Based on form last year westwood was no world beater. 

Your argument is based on pure conjecture and speculation. 

Westwood pretty much dosn't exsist and wont play for us again. Get over it and used to it. Just chucking out oh Westwood would get clean sheets, isnt an arguement and your doing a disservice to our current keeper, who as part of the team has got us to 6th place. 

6 minutes ago, Maddogbob said:

But would he? Are you 100% sure? Or are you just throwing it out there. 

Facts are, we are 6th, with Dawson. Westwood hasnt played this season  so we have no idea (this season) if Westwood would be any better. 

Based on form last year westwood was no world beater. 

Your argument is based on pure conjecture and speculation. 

Westwood pretty much dosn't exsist and wont play for us again. Get over it and used to it. Just chucking out oh Westwood would get clean sheets, isnt an arguement and your doing a disservice to our current keeper, who as part of the team has got us to 6th place. 

I think Dawson's doing ok. I dont think im doing him a  disservice and I think he's going to equal or be even better than Westwood one day. 

I only pointed out that imo we should have stuck with Westwood for this season.

Just now, Maxine said:

I think Dawson's doing ok. I dont think im doing him a  disservice and I think he's going to equal or be even better than Westwood one day. 

I only pointed out that imo we should have stuck with Westwood for this season.

How would we "stick with" Westwood, when for whatever reason hes not available? Thats not been an option this season. 

Its a pointless debate. Saying Westwood this Westwood that. Forget him. 

We have two keepers dawson or wildsmith. Thats it. 

I'm sad to say so, but in my opinion Westwood is ageing, injury prone player who last time he was first choice didn't do as well as young keeper who replaced him (Wildsmith).

Why hampering progress (or even losing one of them) of two keepers who we can build around for the future for keeper who (at least my opinion) is not better then either Wildsmith or Dawson any more, and is paid much more.

Jos opted to invest in the future, rather then (questionable) short term gain. Personally I'm quite happy that for once we are thinking long term.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Maxine said:

IMO.

Serious question......given that we kept a grand total of two clean sheets from the first eighteen games last season, what makes you think Westwood would have kept a few clean sheets this ...no doubt....with a seriously inferior defence in front of him

And you, no doubt, have the stats to back up your claim that he was handy at saving pens so could you share those with us please....genuinely interested to see exactly how handy he was

3 hours ago, Maxine said:

IMO.

I've saved you the trouble of quickly scrambling around for the stats 

Westwood has saved 13 of 52 penalties faced......1 in 4.....not bad

Dawson has saved 1 of 4 penalties faced......1 in 4.,...exactly the same......exactly

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Maddogbob said:

How would we "stick with" Westwood, when for whatever reason hes not available? Thats not been an option this season. 

Its a pointless debate. Saying Westwood this Westwood that. Forget him. 

We have two keepers dawson or wildsmith. Thats it. 

But imo we should have that's all. 

1 minute ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

He'd have banged in a hattrick against Hull for starters.

Plus some other made-up drivel...

Many Wednesday fans are just sheep , they just follow the popular trail of thought . 

I just love the fact that we apparently would be in a better position with westwood In goal yet Dawson hasn’t cost us points . I don’t quite get it 

2 minutes ago, james o connor said:

Many Wednesday fans are just sheep , they just follow the popular trail of thought . 

I just love the fact that we apparently would be in a better position with westwood In goal yet Dawson hasn’t cost us points . I don’t quite get it 

If you repeat it enough times then it becomes true, apparently.

Westwood was great for us, but he's not played since early December and his form leading up to that point was hardly his best, was it? Who's to say that he's still the same 'keeper he was during his peak years?

Regardless of that, the fact remains that Dawson has equipped himself very well in his appearances for us so far: he's looked a bit shaky on some crosses, but has also pulled off some great saves and kept us in games when a weaker 'keeper would have seen us fall behind. There's not a single game we can point to and say his performance cost us points, and yet we've still got fans harking back to the days of Westwood.

But let's be honest: Dawson will cost us points at some point - all 'keepers do - it's the nature of the position. And you can already imagine the threads that will appear, and probably predict the names of those who'll post them...

24 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

If you repeat it enough times then it becomes true, apparently.

Westwood was great for us, but he's not played since early December and his form leading up to that point was hardly his best, was it? Who's to say that he's still the same 'keeper he was during his peak years?

Regardless of that, the fact remains that Dawson has equipped himself very well in his appearances for us so far: he's looked a bit shaky on some crosses, but has also pulled off some great saves and kept us in games when a weaker 'keeper would have seen us fall behind. There's not a single game we can point to and say his performance cost us points, and yet we've still got fans harking back to the days of Westwood.

But let's be honest: Dawson will cost us points at some point - all 'keepers do - it's the nature of the position. And you can already imagine the threads that will appear, and probably predict the names of those who'll post them...

Exactly . It’s nothing against westwood , for a time he was great for us . But so was pressman , hodge, Turner etc etc . But things change. Westwood’s performances last season were not good and we have a new number 1 now . 

You are right he will cost points and he will dropper clangers , just like the Crawley or Swindon keeper will and just like David de gea did for Spain, it happens . It will be painful on here when it does happen , think I may gave this forum a wide berth at that point ! 

1 hour ago, james o connor said:

I do, it’s a sort of inverted support, some are always looking for the good points whilst others are constantly looking for the opposite, it’s just as well that he hasn’t cost a few million or he’d be lining up with Reach on the ‘what a waste of money’ stakes. I’m very happy about being a glass half full guy, this attitude has given me a good standard of living, positive folk do far better than negative folk, and that’s a fact.

Jos obviously wants to use the young guns, And that's fine because we have some good talent coming through, Dawson I hope improves and surely he will, but right now each game I have watched I get nervous when a high looping ball goes in or he has to command his defenders, he's a great shot stopper, he can scream at his defenders when a goal goes in but I never see him really commanding in general play , I have slated him in frustration after matches but he's young and is a a good enough keeper just needs to learn from his mistakes and hopefully he can become a great keeper 

Be nice if some fans could see the bigger picture.

For one Dawson is a good keeper- and he's only 23!

Talking about someone who might be our number 1 for years to come or who the club might stand to make a tidy profit on in the future.

He is not the finished article and there's aspects of his play he needs to improve on, but he's done well so far and does not deserve this ridiculous campaign against him.