Dawson

2 hours ago, Warringtonowl said:

Not because he might make a howler, any keeper might make a howler at any time. But I cant think of many that look as shaky as Cammy has done in the last few games. 

0 clean sheets this season... says it all really. Can blame defence too but he is part of that unit and in many cases he should be their eyes, ears and voice to organise and snuff out danger. He isnt doing it. 

I offer Wildsmith as a step in as obviously KW isnt getting a look in. He'll be chomping at the bit to get back in the side and given a chance likely to raise his game..also keeps keepers on their toes. At present Cammy is guaranteed a start, no competition..where's the incentive to keep improving? 

Actually, it doesn't say it all. Far from it. 

Statistically, we have the worst performing defensive unit in the league. We have given the most xG% chances away in the entire league. Simply put, statistically, we SHOULD have the worst defensive record in the league. Reason we haven't...either poor finishing or an over-performing goalkeeper. In truth, it'll be a mixture of both. 

Last season, Wildsmith was, statistically, the worst goalkeeper in the division. He conceded more goals than the shots against him should have done...simply put, he let in goals, he should have saved. Westwood, for the past two seasons has been on a major decline in his performances. He was one of the best goalkeepers in the division...only our blinkered vision, actually quantifies that statement now. Because in the past two seasons, he's been nowhere near the best performing. 

To have a 23 year old goalkeeper, over-performing, in a side that concede a helluva lot of good quality chances, is remarkable really. And yet, we still get FANS, slating him. Wanting him replaced. Utterly ridiculous.

Get behind the special talent, and don't attempt to ruin him FFS

Yesterday Dawson contributed two major plays in the game that made a very signicant difference

First off the 1 on 1 save at 0-0, the consequence of not saving that would have definitely been a goal against us and the soft consequence of a moral boost to them and a heads down moment for us

Add to that him pinging an 80 yard ball for Joao to run on to and score and only on Owlstalk could someone then open a thread slagging him off.....just staggering

• Like 2

Guest Willow Owl
5 hours ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

Well everyone is entitled to an opinion , quite frankly Cameron Dawson is no different to any  other player we have in that people will form opinions and post these if they feel the need . Perhaps we should ignore a players weaknesses and just post on positives , it doesn’t happen like that , regardless of whether you agree or not it happens right or wrong . If Dawson continues to punch out at high balls it will be mentioned , along with his  attributes, 

Do you really think that starting the thread was necessary while the game was going on. It beggars belief what goes through some of our fans heads. 

39 minutes ago, Willow Owl said:

Do you really think that starting the thread was necessary while the game was going on. It beggars belief what goes through some of our fans heads. 

Don’t think it matters when it’s posted really , Dawson won’t have seen it anyway !! .

2 hours ago, frastheowl said:

Actually, it doesn't say it all. Far from it. 

Statistically, we have the worst performing defensive unit in the league. We have given the most xG% chances away in the entire league. Simply put, statistically, we SHOULD have the worst defensive record in the league. Reason we haven't...either poor finishing or an over-performing goalkeeper. In truth, it'll be a mixture of both. 

Last season, Wildsmith was, statistically, the worst goalkeeper in the division. He conceded more goals than the shots against him should have done...simply put, he let in goals, he should have saved. Westwood, for the past two seasons has been on a major decline in his performances. He was one of the best goalkeepers in the division...only our blinkered vision, actually quantifies that statement now. Because in the past two seasons, he's been nowhere near the best performing. 

To have a 23 year old goalkeeper, over-performing, in a side that concede a helluva lot of good quality chances, is remarkable really. And yet, we still get FANS, slating him. Wanting him replaced. Utterly ridiculous.

Get behind the special talent, and don't attempt to ruin him FFS

I am really surprised by the stats for Wildsmith are so poor, do you have a link to the stats. Thanks

1 hour ago, DuttyTeabags said:

From watching highlights the defenders are asking why he's not catching. I imagine Joss will have him doing catching drills this intl break...

this is not avin a go at you, this is just one post of MANY in this thread and beyond saying 'get him on training ground' to learn to command his area, get him on training ground to practise catching, get him on training ground blah blah blah.... as if he literally, apart from shotstopping, can-not do these things etc etc!

He can! lets be clear here he can pluck a cross out the air one handed and hold it, he can catch 99 wet balls out of a hundred, he has already had years of coaching in commanding his area... there will be not much that he doesnt know or cant do. 

to be at the standard hes at his ability/knowledge doesnt come into question.

but as a young keeper, transferring it onto the big stage is the hardest thing to do, truth is he will have alot more chance of doing it quicker if folk get behind him...ffs

• Like 1

Guest Willow Owl
6 minutes ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

Don’t think it matters when it’s posted really , Dawson won’t have seen it anyway !! .

Of course it does, it was designed to attract the Westwood in brigade to post against young Dawson. Pathetic really, that some of our fanbase feel the need to slate a young talent just because they like Westwood instead. 

Can't they see the potential harm they could to Dawson for no good reason apart from he's not Fkin Westwood. 

1 minute ago, Willow Owl said:

Of course it does, it was designed to attract the Westwood in brigade to post against young Dawson. Pathetic really, that some of our fanbase feel the need to slate a young talent just because they like Westwood instead. 

Can't they see the potential harm they could to Dawson for no good reason apart from he's not Fkin Westwood. 

you wouldnt mind would ya, but he has made LOADS of great saves this season and played a massive part in our points haul.

2 minutes ago, Willow Owl said:

Well I really didn’t realise comments by fans on Owlstalk would have such an impact , like I say Dawson should listen to the coaching staff and manager,  not us . I don’t agree with how Westwood is being dealt with all the same . 

Guest Willow Owl
2 minutes ago, GY-owl.4 said:

you wouldnt mind would ya, but he has made LOADS of great saves this season and played a massive part in our points haul.

Exactly this, they would rather talk about how good it was to see Hector having a go at Dawson for not catching a cross. 

They forget the time Dawson Bxxlcked Hector for giving the ball away. 

7 minutes ago, Willow Owl said:

Exactly this, they would rather talk about how good it was to see Hector having a go at Dawson for not catching a cross. 

They forget the time Dawson Bxxlcked Hector for giving the ball away. 

fans have there favourites and no matter how good there replacement as been some will bat for there preferred choice …...that I can understand but to rubbish the replacement when he's done bugger all wrong is a bit of a puzzler . 

14 hours ago, sheriwozgod said:

Dawson    -    6    Couple of good saves, one horrible flap first half and Pudil rescued him second half when he came off his line when he shouldn't. He is a good young keeper but there would be no shame in letting Wildsmith take over for a little while  (would prefer Westwood but hey ho) He is really young to be dealing with this pressure week in , week out and it may do him more harm than good to keep picking him when he is not at his best.....will probably get negged for that but I wont be bullied into not giving my opinion.

What i posted in match ratings tread.

Good post. People are so intent on shouting anyone with a different opinion down they lose track of what might be best. It's ok to say Penney or Thornily might benefit from a game or two out to rest, so why can't the same be said of Dawson. He seems to be getting worse each game so take him out for a couple, give him a break and then bring him

back in. We have enough cover ( and no I don't mean Westwood). 

21 minutes ago, stanningtonowl said:

Good post. People are so intent on shouting anyone with a different opinion down they lose track of what might be best. It's ok to say Penney or Thornily might benefit from a game or two out to rest, so why can't the same be said of Dawson. He seems to be getting worse each game so take him out for a couple, give him a break and then bring him

he doesn't seem to be getting worse to me …..

It's interesting looking at numbers how many people were quick to proclaim Dawson as the better of our young keepers whilst Wildsmith was No. 1 by default last year, yet now Westwood is seemingly completely off the table he's suddenly sunk in many estimations.

Finished article? Nah, not yet at least. Clearly the best of the goalkeepers we have? Probably not. Deserving of the sort of abuse he's been getting in the last few weeks? No fooooking way

Edited by daftpenguin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, stanningtonowl said:

Are you blind or just don't go?.....Sunday was just about his best game for us including match winning saves and an 80 yard ball to set up a goal