Dawson

3 minutes ago, Warringtonowl said:

From a non westwood point of view the OP has a case. I'd be inclined to make Joe Wildsmith number 1. Cammy a good shot stopper but before long he gunna drop a howler and its gunna hurt him. Give him a break. Let Joe have a few games. 

So you'd replace Dawson, because he might make a howler, with Wildsmith, who has actually made howlers? 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

He’s a good shot-stopper is Dawson and that is not the problem. He’s more than good enough.

He needs to work on his catching and commanding his area but I’m sure Weaver will be working on this in training. Maybe, if he can get a clean sheet that will help his confidence.

We need to stick with him and show him confidence. Forget Westwood, he won’t play for us again. Decision has been made and that is that. He should leave with our best wishes. Don’t see why we should play wildsmith - we’d be back to square one again. 

6 minutes ago, SiJ said:

So you'd replace Dawson, because he might make a howler, with Wildsmith, who has actually made howlers? 

Not because he might make a howler, any keeper might make a howler at any time. But I cant think of many that look as shaky as Cammy has done in the last few games. 

0 clean sheets this season... says it all really. Can blame defence too but he is part of that unit and in many cases he should be their eyes, ears and voice to organise and snuff out danger. He isnt doing it. 

I offer Wildsmith as a step in as obviously KW isnt getting a look in. He'll be chomping at the bit to get back in the side and given a chance likely to raise his game..also keeps keepers on their toes. At present Cammy is guaranteed a start, no competition..where's the incentive to keep improving? 

Edited by Warringtonowl

2 minutes ago, Warringtonowl said:

Not because he might make a howler, any keeper might make a howler at any time. But I cant think of many that look as shamy as Cammy has done in the last few games. 

0 clean sheets this season... says it all really. Can blame defence too but he is part of that unit and in many cases he should be their eyes, ears and voice to organise and snuff out danger. He isnt doing it. 

It was only no clean sheet on Sunday due to a penalty which Dawson can't be blamed for.

But to be fair I wouldn't be bothered if we didn't have a clean sheet all season as long as we keep winning games.

• Like 1

On 07/10/2018 at 14:30, leono said:

He's done ok.

The problem is with our formation inviting constant pressure on him.

There's a lot in this comment.

Backing off all the time, not closing down and allowing shots in.

He's young and will obviously get better with exposure and playing time, his shot stopping is a plus side of his game at this point.

Nicky Weaver should be coaching the lad in commanding his 6 yard area and talking to and berating his defenders if need be.

I also worry when he rolls the ball out and immediately we come under pressure, and yes, maybe he's told to do that by the manager but again should read it his own way.

He's obviously Jos's first choice, so we need to support the lad.

3 hours ago, N0rtherner said:

This is not criticism of Dawson, but I think we're squandering Wildsmith by not giving him some chances too, while we also run the risk of Dawson becoming a bit complacent in his role as no. 1.

Yes, he has had his good moments and fine saves 1v1 and generally a decent command of the area, but he also makes certain rash decisions... why the weak boxing of the ball yesterday, you even see Hector (was it?) telling him to just grab the ball... that boxing of the ball nearly cost us a goal, he didn't make a good job of the box even and the shot that came back was not saved... Luckily it was off target. And there are other situations in previous matches. Of course, difficult to blame him really with how shaky our defending has been in those times we concede too.

I rate both keepers (and Westwood) for that matter. But I'd like to see Wildsmith given the chance again too, and not have to wait until we enter the FA cup rounds... he'll be out of match form then and likely just as much a liability. We have a long break now, then we have a string of games, I'd give Wildsmith the chance away to QPR on the weekday.

Boxing,,,,,really!

23 minutes ago, Warringtonowl said:

Not because he might make a howler, any keeper might make a howler at any time. But I cant think of many that look as shaky as Cammy has done in the last few games. 

I offer Wildsmith as a step in as obviously KW isnt getting a look in. He'll be chomping at the bit to get back in the side and given a chance likely to raise his game..also keeps keepers on their toes. At present Cammy is guaranteed a start, no competition..where's the incentive to keep improving? 

Reading posts like this?

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Warringtonowl said:

I actually rate Dawson and first few times I saw him I thought he looks a great prospect, and still is. But there is no denying he has looked shaky.

If results weren't so positive recently I bet most people would be more vocal about his performances. 

Like if he hadn't saved that one on one yesterday...or maybe that blinder against West Brom that lead to our second?

yea..maybe mate, but we are all just pickin' and choosing aren't we?

Bad goalkeepers are usually recognised by all and sundry, there are not as many invariables as there are with an outfield player...

/

29 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

Like if he hadn't saved that one on one yesterday...or maybe that blinder against West Brom that lead to our second?

yea..maybe mate, but we are all just pickin' and choosing aren't we?

Bad goalkeepers are usually recognised by all and sundry, there are not as many invariables as there are with an outfield player...

/

There are. And if you read my posts you'll see I have already complimented his capabilities in shot stopping. Undoubtedly his greatest strength. 

All i am saying is I have noticed him fumbling the ball on many an occasion.. it is down to luck.it hasnt really cost his so far. An example, I think it was the Leeds game, might have been West Brom where he mis controlled it at the feet and it almost went through his legs into the goal. If this was an isolated event I'd say, yeh it happens but its an accident waiting to happen at the minute. 

Like I say, I rate him and hope he can smoothen his game so these threads dont exist. Its an obvious enough problem that a thread was created and whilst dividing opinion I am not the only one. 

Could be worse, we could have had Bristols keeper. He looked extraordinarily shaky. 

29 minutes ago, Warringtonowl said:

There are. And if you read my posts you'll see I have already complimented his capabilities in shot stopping. Undoubtedly his greatest strength. 

All i am saying is I have noticed him fumbling the ball on many an occasion.. it is down to luck.it hasnt really cost his so far. An example, I think it was the Leeds game, might have been West Brom where he mis controlled it at the feet and it almost went through his legs into the goal. If this was an isolated event I'd say, yeh it happens but its an accident waiting to happen at the minute. 

Like I say, I rate him and hope he can smoothen his game so these threads dont exist. Its an obvious enough problem that a thread was created and whilst dividing opinion I am not the only one. 

Could be worse, we could have had Bristols keeper. He looked extraordinarily shaky. 

It's not lucky that fumbles don't lead to goals, it's part of good goalkeeping.....it's about making sure you get your body behind the ball so that if it goes through your hands your body stops it......it's about taking back passes outside the line of your goal so that should you miss control it it doesn't lead to a goal

He's obviously lacking confidence. 

The fact we're almost a quarter into the season without a clean sheet certainly won't help, and the fans lack of backing and constantly yearning for Westwood won't help either.

But regardless of his obvious lack of confidence, which manifests itself as panicking somewhat when dealt with crosses, he's still keeping us in games. The save he made to deny Deidhiou at 0-0 yesterday was absolutely crucial. But people won't see that. 

And, the fact is, statistically he's been the league's biggest goalkeeper, and the fact we currently occupy the position we do in the league, is a direct consequence to Dawson over-performing and keeping us in games, despite the lack of belief some of the fanbase has in him. 

We have a 23 year old goalkeeper, playing for his boyhood club and has been given a genuinely golden opportunity to become a major player for the club in years to come. Why don't we just get behind the lad and accept, as a goalkeeper learning his trade, he'll look suspect on occasions, he'll make mistakes? Why the constant wish for the recall of a goalkeeper, who statistically has been on the decline for a couple of seasons now, and who doesn't represent the future of this football club?