Paul Lambert

9 minutes ago, Willow Owl said:

Don't get this relegation talk. We have majority of our best players set to be coming back from injury and we will be comfortable mid table (although not acceptable). Lambert will certainly get the fitness levels up. Get some positivety in the thread. 

Well me neither, I was just playing devils advocate People are suggesting it as a reason to employ him

If this is true, I'd be a little surprised, in that I was fully expecting us to hire another foreigner, given DC's international outlook and the fact that our last foreign manager got us to the play-offs in both his first two seasons in charge. As we're looking for someone in mid-season, though, we're a bit limited in our realistic options - it's basically either someone who's just got the sack, someone doing well, but in a lower league, or someone who's been out of the game for a bit. In any case, perhaps it indicates a change in DC's way of thinking. He wouldn't be my first choice, but he certainly wouldn't be the last either, and I'd be happy enough to see him join us. 

7 hours ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

As in the same pragmatic (negative) approach?

He's certainly pragmatic, but to be fair to him, he managed to do what Carlos never did....he spotted their weaknesses and corrected them over a couple of years. 

Over 2 and half years, we became increasingly stale and never fixed out on field issues under Carlos. I don't think we'd have that problem with Karanka.

As for Lambert - very underwhelming at first glance, but he hasn't done too badly looking at his record. Would probably steady the ship at least.

I meant more about his possession based game at pretty much all costs. Karanka would be tailor made to fill CCs shoes and I’m surprised he hasn’t featured more in speculation. He would probably be an improvement too. But generally speaking there has been a call for a different style of play, with wingers who get crosses into the box and more pace and strength in the side. I don’t think Karanka likes that idea much more than Carlos did so it could come to a head ahead.

Also whoever comes in needs to get the best out of the likes of Rhodes and I’m not sure AK was a fan.

6 hours ago, Willow Owl said:

Don't get this relegation talk. We have majority of our best players set to be coming back from injury and we will be comfortable mid table (although not acceptable). Lambert will certainly get the fitness levels up. Get some positivety in the thread. 

IF they come back 

8 hours ago, striker said:

Wasnt averse to Lambert in the first place, could understand why he was being considered; available, decent record, experience of promotion, good connections in football. 

Think pie in the sky names like Fonseca, Villas Boas unrealistically raised expectations, appreciate DC looking but never would a champions league manager swap for a championship relegation fight.

Suspect DC watched today and realised immediate action required, think he will have made the right choice if true to see out this season at least.

Wonder how long before the inevitable Ben Marshall thread appears, one of Lamberts favourites?

The state we are in he could do worse than asking Wolves for Marshall and Ba’ath on loan 

Lambert would be fine.

people always say ‘ this one is our most important appointment for years etc’. In this case it really isn’t. We won’t go down or up this season, it just needs someone to sail the ship to mid table and maybe 6 or 7 more wins. Then we can regroup over summer and start again. It is probably the least important managerial appointment i can remember.

1 hour ago, Orlando_Trustful said:

He'll come in to steady the ship. We've got to forget about promotion now for a few years whilst we rebuild. I think he'll do that job for us and hopefully really tell some of our wasters what's what. 

I agree in part though i expect as per usual in this league for us to get through a manager every 18 months or so , so expect it will take two or three before we get ‘ the one’.

9 minutes ago, the monk said:

Lets do the time warp yeah

I mention them simply because they are decent players not getting a game so might be available.

And let’s be clear Baath is a better basic defender than anybody we have fit at the moment.

Guess we could do nowt and keep dropping down the table 

3 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Meh. Lambert is a steady manager but not exactly the exciting appointment I hoped for after Carlos left. Not exactly done great in his last few jobs. Disappointing. 

Do you understand the state we are in?

Lambert would be a great catch at this point but if I were him I would go to Forest, they have some decent young players. 

I'd be happy with him. A steady hand who will do the basics right. This team is good enough as it stands to stay up. When the 11 or so players are back from injury it's good enough for the playoffs at least. Until then we need to circle the wagons and grind out some wins. We need someone in who can assess the situation and react.