Paul Lambert

12 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Well I’d like someone like Fonseca, but probably more realistically, Karanka

Lambert would be another Jordan Rhodes style appointment A panic move for someone who has done nothing in recent times

A few weeks or months ago I’d have liked Fonseca on the basis that it was exciting to be linked with a top coach but if he isn’t here now he isn’t interested. Plus, he would need to get up to speed very quickly with the league which is much more competitive than Ukraine or Portugal. If we had the luxury of waiting til the summer it would be a better option as he seems to play a very specific style. 

Karanka is a fair one, although I think the same frustrations borne from Carlos would become very apparent under him too. 

I think we have been forced down this route by giving Carlos too long and the subsequent poor results over xmas. In terms of “doing nothing” he has steadied a couple of ships recently which looks to be the remit. It would be interesting to see if it is short term til the summer. 

Even more popular choices like Dean Smith seem too risky now given that Bullen took an approach to let the players express themselves and they let him down. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bluesteel said:

A few weeks or months ago I’d have liked Fonseca on the basis that it was exciting to be linked with a top coach but if he isn’t here now he isn’t interested. Plus, he would need to get up to speed very quickly with the league which is much more competitive than Ukraine or Portugal. If we had the luxury of waiting til the summer it would be a better option as he seems to play a very specific style. 

Karanka is a fair one, although I think the same frustrations borne from Carlos would become very apparent under him too. 

I think we have been forced down this route by giving Carlos too long and the subsequent poor results over xmas. In terms of “doing nothing” he has steadied a couple of ships recently which looks to be the remit. It would be interesting to see if it is short term til the summer. 

Even more popular choices like Dean Smith seem too risky now given that Bullen took an approach to let the players express themselves and they let him down. 

top post Blue 

• Thanks 1

I’m starting to hope it is him tbh

When you look at his record it’s actually pretty decent 

Got Wycombe to the playoffs and to the semi final of the cup 

Led Norwich to back to back promotions and then kept them up  in the prem in his first 3 seasons 

Managed to keep villa up despite getting little backing from Lerner and being forced to play the kids 

Kept both Blackburn and Wolves in the division, and left both in a higher position then when he arrived 

Having read all that on Wikipedia, I’ve now convinced myself that he’s the man for the job 

:Chansiri:

5 minutes ago, fatzooma said:

I would certainly prefer him to some unknown foreign coach. The players need someone they can relate to...none of this ‘ooh Look at me..I’ve wrote a book and I’m going to create a winning environment bollax...’

Substance over style is what we need, particularly if we now have a restricted transfer budget.

7 minutes ago, Stoop said:

I’m starting to hope it is him tbh

When you look at his record it’s actually pretty decent 

Got Wycombe to the playoffs and to the semi final of the cup 

Led Norwich to back to back promotions and then kept them up  in the prem in his first 3 seasons 

Managed to keep villa up despite getting little backing from Lerner and being forced to play the kids 

Kept both Blackburn and Wolves in the division, and left both in a higher position then when he arrived 

Having read all that on Wikipedia, I’ve now convinced myself that he’s the man for the job 

:Chansiri:

I have the same feeling and I think what we’d need to do is unlike wolves, (and providing we stay up this season), keep him and let him recruit again in the summer. There’s no point giving him the job and then letting him go again in May.  As we’ve seen from his previous roles in these leagues, he’ll get teams to the top given the time that is needed

Hughton took over at Brighton at a similiar point of the season and they only finished about 20th. Then he turned them into a promotion chasing club. Lambert can do the same for us, is my feeling 

Edited by Southie_Owl

1 hour ago, Owlinmad said:

Just had a text from a friend in Prestonpans saying Lambert will be appointed shortly.

The friend is well connected in Scottish football but I'm not saying this is 100% correct.

Is that near Boltonpans ? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bluesteel said:

Given the circumstances and that he kept Wolves and Blackburn up in similar circumstances it’s a sensible choice if so. I think going for a “name” for the sake of it who isn’t used to this situation would be suicidal. That kind of change needed to be made months ago.

Got to agree, its now Red Adair time im afraid. 

5 minutes ago, Peake said:

His signing record at Villa..

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-paul-lambert-signings-12678272

I didn't want him at first but with the way we are going I wouldn't complain if we got him now. Not sure how I'll feel if we get Lambert and Forest get Karanka though.

Looking at that list of signings, you’ve even less chance of selling this appointment to me

It’s looking like it might be Lamberts job,  biggest point I’d make about this fella is he fell on his sword at Wolves due to refusing Mendes the final word on signings, he’s certainly not a manager that will accept interference on the player signing side of the job so are we looking at a big change of how the clubs been run here in regards to Doyen and Chansiris advisors 

If we aren’t going to get Megson then this guy will do fine.

I have just seen a hashtag on twitter #AnyoneButHim in regards to Lambert.

Absolutely chuffing pathetic some of our supporters.

Fonseca, AVB? No.

Megson, Lambert? Yes.

Edited by s6 owl