Paul Lambert

22 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

A few weeks or months ago I’d have liked Fonseca on the basis that it was exciting to be linked with a top coach but if he isn’t here now he isn’t interested. Plus, he would need to get up to speed very quickly with the league which is much more competitive than Ukraine or Portugal. If we had the luxury of waiting til the summer it would be a better option as he seems to play a very specific style. 

Karanka is a fair one, although I think the same frustrations borne from Carlos would become very apparent under him too. 

I think we have been forced down this route by giving Carlos too long and the subsequent poor results over xmas. In terms of “doing nothing” he has steadied a couple of ships recently which looks to be the remit. It would be interesting to see if it is short term til the summer. 

Even more popular choices like Dean Smith seem too risky now given that Bullen took an approach to let the players express themselves and they let him down. 

Pretty much my thoughts too, particularly the point about giving Carlos too much time & the subsequent results & slide down the table meaning we're now looking for a different type of coach than we needed 2 months ago.

21 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Karanka is a fair one, although I think the same frustrations borne from Carlos would become very apparent under him too. 

As in the same pragmatic (negative) approach?

He's certainly pragmatic, but to be fair to him, he managed to do what Carlos never did....he spotted their weaknesses and corrected them over a couple of years. 

Over 2 and half years, we became increasingly stale and never fixed out on field issues under Carlos. I don't think we'd have that problem with Karanka.

As for Lambert - very underwhelming at first glance, but he hasn't done too badly looking at his record. Would probably steady the ship at least.

1 minute ago, Royal_D said:

It’s looking like it might be Lamberts job,  biggest point I’d make about this fella is he fell on his sword at Wolves due to refusing Mendes the final word on signings, he’s certainly not a manager that will accept interference on the player signing side of the job so are we looking at a big change of how the clubs been run here in regards to Doyen and Chansiris advisors 

Chairman is listening to us, trying to make up for his previous mistakes imho

Wasnt averse to Lambert in the first place, could understand why he was being considered; available, decent record, experience of promotion, good connections in football. 

Think pie in the sky names like Fonseca, Villas Boas unrealistically raised expectations, appreciate DC looking but never would a champions league manager swap for a championship relegation fight.

Suspect DC watched today and realised immediate action required, think he will have made the right choice if true to see out this season at least.

Wonder how long before the inevitable Ben Marshall thread appears, one of Lamberts favourites?

12 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Looking at that list of signings, you’ve even less chance of selling this appointment to me

I don't understand why he gets cut so much slack about his time at Villa tbh. After seeing us today though, we are in trouble and Bullen was right when he said we need someone in the door quickly. I assume Lambert is desperate enough for a job that he may accept a contract until the end of the season and he could do with us, what he did with Blackburn and Wolves. It's painful to think this is the situation we are in.

4 minutes ago, trevdi9 said:

happy new year Si , how did the fishing go 

Happy New Year Trev.

Rubbish mate. We were on Drumble lake at Cudmore. It was clear skies, and very cold, just 2 degrees, and all I could manage to catch was bits, no proper fish. Conditions not conducive.

Fishomania winner Andy May was a couple of pegs up from me, and won the match. He managed 20lbs of skimmers on the maggot feeder at 50 metres, just in front of the island. I stuck on the pole all day at 13 metres. Took home a litre bottle of Jack Daniels though.

Might not be an exciting appointment but would be a good one. Lambert is a football man, something the club seems to be lacking at the minute. His teams play good football too, really high tempo. So the players would have to shape up in terms of fitness, I’m sure he’d get us going.

2 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

Happy New Year Trev.

Rubbish mate. We were on Drumble lake at Cudmore. It was clear skies, and very cold, just 2 degrees, and all I could manage to catch was bits, no proper fish. Conditions not conducive.

Fishomania winner Andy May was a couple of pegs up from me, and won the match. He managed 20lbs of skimmers on the maggot feeder at 50 metres, just in front of the island. I stuck on the pole all day at 13 metres. Took home a litre bottle of Jack Daniels though.

bad luck mate though the jack daniels will warm you up so it's not all bad

3 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

Happy New Year Trev.

You want to save that foooker till we play pigs.

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Peake said:

I don't understand why he gets cut so much slack about his time at Villa tbh. After seeing us today though, we are in trouble and Bullen was right when he said we need someone in the door quickly. I assume Lambert is desperate enough for a job that he may accept a contract until the end of the season and he could do with us, what he did with Blackburn and Wolves. It's painful to think this is the situation we are in.

I fear you may be right Perhaps I could accept the possibility of giving him a contract until the end of the season

We are dropping like a stone, and if we only see a honeymoon period, it may be enough to see of the threat off relegation

We could then re-assess the situation at the end of the season

Edited by gurujuan

He would be okay for me, he likes to have a say on players and he doesn't take any bolllocks either.

His record isn't that bad the only black mark was at Villa but he had a chairman there that didn't want to give him any money, at Blackburn he had to deal with the Venkys, Wolves was a bit of a mystery, think it was to do with new owners etc.

Guest Willow Owl
16 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I fear you may be right Perhaps I could accept the possibility of giving him a contract until the end of the season

We are dropping like a stone, and if we only see a honeymoon period, it may be enough to see of the threat off relegation

We could then re-assess the situation at the end of the season

Don't get this relegation talk. We have majority of our best players set to be coming back from injury and we will be comfortable mid table (although not acceptable). Lambert will certainly get the fitness levels up. Get some positivety in the thread. 

15 minutes ago, TaxiMark said:

He would be okay for me, he likes to have a say on players and he doesn't take any bolllocks either.

His record isn't that bad the only black mark was at Villa but he had a chairman there that didn't want to give him any money, at Blackburn he had to deal with the Venkys, Wolves was a bit of a mystery, think it was to do with new owners etc.

Its quite interesting that I’ve just watched some of the wolves fans interviews on their internet channel when lambert was sacked and a lot of them seem pleased he went, but their results from when we beat them until May weren’t terrible. In fact they won 13 of the following 28 games, which isn’t bad for a side that were in the bottom half when he took over. I think that’s pretty much playoff form over a full season? 

He was only given one transfer window to make an impact too.  I think their fans were probably glad an ex villa boss had gone, like we would be if we had an ex Pigs boss in charge

If we're gambling on a high-risk playoff miracle, he's not the one. Too 'steady'.

If we're past that and we need shoring up to secure a safe nothing season, then go again next year with a major rebuild, he's as good a candidate as has been suggested so far.

Anyone still hoping we'll gamble on a miracle is insane IMO.

Lambert is a decent bet and I'd back him to the hilt.

Edited by Mr. Tom