Paul Lambert

Guest RocketOwl
4 hours ago, gurujuan said:

It’s all very well people remembering what he did at Colchester and Norwich Perhaps they are the same people who remember what Rhodes did at Huddersfield None of that is relevant, as has been proven in the case of Rhodes

Why would we replace a manager, who has reached the Championship play offs, with some guy who’s done sod all for years Will we ever learn

Beggars belief doesn't it.

How long ago was his Norwich success now? 

20 hours ago, Southie_Owl said:

In fact they won 13 of the following 28 games, which isn’t bad for a side that were in the bottom half when he took over. I think that’s pretty much playoff form over a full season? 

He was only given one transfer window to make an impact too.  I think their fans were probably glad an ex villa boss had gone, like we would be if we had an ex Pigs boss in charge

Amazing isnt it how some folk are overlooking the work he did at his most recent clubs and specifically under the circumstances he found when he arrived at them.  

People are hoping chansiri doesnt turn out to be like the venky’s then say they don’t think lambert achieved anything at the club, despite being there 7 months, improving their league position and then HE chose to leave them, as they were a farce

Nothing I've read convinces me that this would be a positive appointment We've just dismissed a manager, who in his only 2 full seasons, has taken us to the play offs Don't really have an issue with that, as he seemed to have run out of ideas Logically then, if we wanted to continue to make progress, then we needed to appoint a coach who would give us a chance of going one step further Nothing in his recent record suggests he will do this

Of course he could do it, and he has done it before, but that's true of a lot of managers It's not like we are talking about Benitez, Hughton or Wagner, coaches who have achieved this feat in recent times This league is a much harder league now, since Lambert was last a success

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Nothing I've read convinces me that this would be a positive appointment We've just dismissed a manager, who in his only 2 full seasons, has taken us to the play offs Don't really have an issue with that, as he seemed to have run out of ideas Logically then, if we wanted to continue to make progress, then we needed to appoint a coach who would give us a chance of going one step further Nothing in his recent record suggests he will do this

Of course he could do it, and he has done it before, but that's true of a lot of managers It's not like we are talking about Benitez, Hughton or Wagner, coaches who have achieved this feat in recent times This league is a much harder league now, since Lambert was last a success

The funniest thing about that is that you think we sacked Carlos 

Also the job at the moment is about avoiding relegation, not about playoffs .

Carlos has left an absolute shambles behind 

4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

In his defence since he got back to back promotions to go from League One to the Premiership he spent 4 years as a premier a league manager, quite hard to achieve promotion during that time. 

4 minutes ago, Miruic said:

In his defence since he got back to back promotions to go from League One to the Premiership he spent 4 years as a premier a league manager, quite hard to achieve promotion during that time. 

Yes the guy’s crime seems to be he was too busy managing a big club in the premier league under difficult circumstances and not getting another team promoted from the championship instead

:duntmatter:

Incidentally i’d like to see what any other manager would have achieved at Blackburn and wolves in 7 months compared to what lambert did. Seeing as both were on a downward slope when he got there 

Edited by Southie_Owl

6 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

The funniest thing about that is that you think we sacked Carlos 

Also the job at the moment is about avoiding relegation, not about playoffs .

Carlos has left an absolute shambles behind 

Yes, we might need a different style of manager, if it’s right, and we are in a relegation scrap Yhen what though? 

A relegation firefighter on a 5 month contract might make sense

5 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

Yes the guy’s crime seems to be he was too busy managing a big club in the premier league under difficult circumstances and not getting another team promoted from the championship instead

:duntmatter:

Incidentally i’d like to see what any other manager would have achieved at Blackburn and wolves in 7 months compared to what lambert did. Seeing as both were on a downward slope when he got there 

Isn’t that where we are now? 

4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Isn’t that where we are now? 

Yes exactly, he arrived at clubs on downward slopes and got them to finish higher in the table than when he arrived. He did that within 7 months and only 1 transfer window. I would certainly take that right now. 

At wolves his record was pretty much that of a playoff challenging team. My personal view is that if he had stayed with them then this season they would still be towards the top end of the league, but he had different plans for recruitment compared to the owners who wanted to bring in all those Portuguese players, so they got rid.

Edited by Southie_Owl

Guest wilyfox
1 minute ago, Peake said:

Wonder why no one is hoping for Karanka or Jokanovic even though they're probably the most realistic managers with recent promotions.. 

Jokanovic is my first choice, then Lambert. Karanka third - but dull. 

5 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

Yes exactly, he arrived at clubs on downward slopes and got them to finish higher in the table than when he arrived. He did that within 7 months and only 1 transfer window. I would certainly take that right now. 

At wolves his record was pretty much that of a playoff challenging team. My personal view is that if he had stayed with them then this season they would still be towards the top end of the league, but he had different plans for recruitment compared to the owners who wanted to bring in all those Portuguese players, so they got rid.

Fair enough, but having achieved such amazing feats, both Wolves and Blackburn got rid of him Yes they were under pressure from supporters who didn’t take to him, but that’s true at most clubs once a manager runs out of ideas 

6 hours ago, HarrowbyOwl said:

Think Lambert will be very wary about taking the Wednesday job. He was sacked by Wolves after a rift with the Chinese owners about the influence of Portuguese agent Jorge Mendes' involvement in player recruitment.

That, compounded by appointment of Karien (aka Night) Meire will set his alarm bells ringing.

Once bitten and all that...

Good point mate, but let’s be honest, irrespective of our current disharmony, manager of SWFC is still a big job in this country. Especially for someone who gets it right. I’m not sure he will have a list of more attractive options....

Guest everydays_wednesday

Back in the day they used to advertise a managers job in the daily paper (mate of mine applied for the Man Utd job) !

Do clubs still ask for applicants or am I just still a bit too old and old fashioned?