Paul Lambert

Guest Copthorneowl

Imo get him in and dam quick.

Forget Blackburn he was a late appointment did less than a season  no money and he as good as walked away. Forget Wolves he was doing fine in came new owners who basically wanted their own man. As for Villa he took on a club with an owner trying to dump them who eventually did dump them gave him no money and expected him to keep them up with non Prem players he was pleased to go.

Good record at Norwich good pedigree other than the above three poor clubs.

Frankly as good as we could expect and we should happy to get him.  Our current situation is such that he might not want us so why so many owl fans are unimpressed is surprising imo.

4 minutes ago, Copthorneowl said:

Imo get him in and dam quick.

Forget Blackburn he was a late appointment did less than a season  no money and he as good as walked away. Forget Wolves he was doing fine in came new owners who basically wanted their own man. As for Villa he took on a club with an owner trying to dump them who eventually did dump them gave him no money and expected him to keep them up with non Prem players he was pleased to go.

Good record at Norwich good pedigree other than the above three poor clubs.

Frankly as good as we could expect and we should happy to get him.  Our current situation is such that he might not want us so why so many owl fans are unimpressed is surprising imo.

Agree with all that.

I'd also add that he kept Villa in the Premier League for 3 seasons, plenty of Villa fans I know wanted him gone for most of that, but after their continued decline after he left, accept that he actually got that team to massively over perform.

I also agree that the sooner we get him in the job the better. If Chansiri spends weeks chasing continental managers who would never take the job anyway, then we could really end up in the sh*t!

Give it Lambert and get him in quickly.

17 hours ago, Owlinmad said:

Money for nothing.

16 hours ago, Hawkowl said:

And your chicks for free.

Well feck me

All these years I've been singing, 'money for nothing and your cheques for free'

• Haha 2

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

It’s all very well people remembering what he did at Colchester and Norwich Perhaps they are the same people who remember what Rhodes did at Huddersfield None of that is relevant, as has been proven in the case of Rhodes

Why would we replace a manager, who has reached the Championship play offs, with some guy who’s done sod all for years Will we ever learn

59 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Is he an attack minded manager from what you know? Does he have a reputation of not taking any crap from his players? I hope so because they are 2 things i really feed we need.

I'm sure he captained celtic, dortmund and Scotland in his playing days and did gave a nasty side when he played when needed to. So I'd hope some of that leadership and ruthlessness would be part of his management arsenal. He was a very good attacking player too and I know he tried to be at villa with little to play with. 

Edited by shezzas left peg

3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

It’s all very well people remembering what he did at Colchester and Norwich Perhaps they are the same people who remember what Rhodes did at Huddersfield None of that is relevant, as has been proven in the case of Rhodes

Why would we replace a manager, who has reached the Championship play offs, with some guy who’s done sod all for years Will we ever learn

As I've posted above, under the circumstances he also did a good job at Villa. 

He didn't do too badly at Wolves last season either and they looked a quality outfit when they hammered us 0-0 at S6. Blackburn was a car crash for all concerned.

He's spent his time out of full-time employment in Germany trying to gain more experience and get some new ideas.

You also have to have a bit of realism here. Bar the Mourinhos/Guardiolas of this world all managers experience failure somewhere. Warnock and McCarthy have fantastic records at this level but they have both been sacked before.

So unless you've got Jose's number and you think he's got itchy feet, or if we don't give the job to an unproven up and coming manager (which has its own huge risks), then I'd say Lambert would be a fairly decent option.

I know I’ve said Lambert would be an uninspiring choice but if he got the job I’d be interested to see what he could do given the kind of time and backing Carlos had. I get the impression he sees his next job as the one that’ll cement his managerial career one way or the other. If he got it right here then he’ll be treated like a god and getting it right at a big club with potential may appeal to him?

8 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

People tend to refer to his scoring record at Blackburn to be fair.

Carlos tended to refer to his past experiences quite a bit too. So why would they be irrelevant in the current position? 

Lamberts cv is arguably better than the others including Karanka. He kept his team up. 

1 hour ago, Big Ron's Sovereign said:

Can you explain why that is any way relevant?

Would you rather have a foreigner with no experience in british football and somebody we never heard of 

I have a very good feeling about Lambert.

I'm more concerned that he and many others wouldn't want to go near us - I'm willing to give KM and DC the benefit of the doubt but to actually work for them?  Hmmm.

The one thing we do know is that whoever takes the plunge will be getting well paid and have the chance to make themselves a legend here - which goes a hell of a long way.

Edited by davey_wells

Don't see anyone else on the shortlist that I'd rather take if I'm being honest. We're a shambles at the minute which means top notch managers aren't going to be busting a gut to take the job on,  especially with such a toxic atmosphere around the place