Paul Lambert

1 hour ago, ZIMMY said:

We will have a Proper Manager and Staff, that will build a team that can hold its own in the Premier League,so i suggest people need to stop jumping to conclusions over speculation, in the Media and Forums like this one, about our next Manager, and New CEO,  need to take a step back,and hold their tongues, or they could be looking foolish once again.

What's the one about the pot and the kettle.lol

Lambert is by far the best realistic choice out there.  Managed clubs of a similar size and expectations as Wednesday and played for large clubs as well as having his Coaching ethos schooled in Germany.

Believe he plays relatively attacking style and may have sufficient contacts to wheel and deal a few players in / out.  He may also finally bring in Ben Marshall after using him at Wolves.

Our last 10 managerial appointments in reverse order.

carvalhal, gray, Jones, megson,Irvine, laws,sturrock,turner, yorath, shreeves.

lambert in comparison is like bill shankly. Sometimes it is easy to lose sight of the fact we haven’t had a proper big name manager since big Ron twenty years ago.

Guest Bulgaria
6 hours ago, Bluesteel said:

I meant more about his possession based game at pretty much all costs. Karanka would be tailor made to fill CCs shoes and I’m surprised he hasn’t featured more in speculation. He would probably be an improvement too. But generally speaking there has been a call for a different style of play, with wingers who get crosses into the box and more pace and strength in the side. I don’t think Karanka likes that idea much more than Carlos did so it could come to a head ahead.

Also whoever comes in needs to get the best out of the likes of Rhodes and I’m not sure AK was a fan.

The only reason karanka has not been talked about more is because as soon as his name is mentioned everyone just falls asleep and that includes the orator.

Edited by Bulgaria

15 minutes ago, Hirstys_12th_Pint said:

Lambert is by far the best realistic choice out there.  Managed clubs of a similar size and expectations as Wednesday and played for large clubs as well as having his Coaching ethos schooled in Germany.

Won only two games at Livingstone.

Did very little apart from a cup run at Wycombe

Did well at Norwich.

Crap at Villa who fired him.

Crap at Blackburn but club were in freefall to be fair.

Fired at Wolves.

Has basically done roger all despite a number of opportunities. He has experience alright but its experience of mediocrity.

How is that better than a Dean Smith or a Paul Hurst?

5 minutes ago, George said:

Did well at Norwich.

Fired at Wolves.

Has basically done roger all despite a number of opportunities. He has experience alright but its experience of mediocrity.

He is unemployed and no lengthy negotiations or compensation issues to sort out for a start, as said above actually did a good job at villa with no cash avoiding relagation, which they did do not long after getting rid of him. 

22 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Our last 10 managerial appointments in reverse order.

carvalhal, gray, Jones, megson,Irvine, laws,sturrock,turner, yorath, shreeves.

Shudder. Getting rid of CC was the right thing to do but anyone claiming that he was "the worst ever Wednesday manager" clearly hadn't seen us under Irvine or Yorath (or, further back, Eustace)...

Whenever Lamber was mentioned recently i facepalmed .. honestly. I always thought he was a guff manager from his time at Villa

HOWEVER .. @frastheowl made a very good and pertinent (right word?) post about why Lambert would be a good choice for manager and because of this i've changed my mind about him and don't think he's as bad as I always thought.

Bring him in and this squad will get a rocket up their backsides thats for sure, and they sure as hell need that. Football could be decent and he definitely has a point to prove given his recent experiences with Blackburn and Wolves

1 hour ago, George said:

Did well at Norwich.

Fired at Wolves.

Its all a roll of the dice to be honest, who’d have thought Stuart Gray would’ve done so well. 

But looking objectively he steadied Blackburn and Wolves who had similar troubles to us. 42% win rate at Wolves. Prior to that he kept Villa above water and they became a basket case after he left. Lerner seems to get the blame for that. No doubt some of Lamberts transfers didn’t help but perhaps 2-3 years premier league experience can be seen as a positive.

Going back further his Norwich and Colchester sides had three promotions and played good football.

I think football has become about who is the most fashionable and who can get the coolest coach but looking at his record he has done a commendable job at various clubs. 

I have nowt against Smith or Hurst and I wanted the former as first choice recently. But both those managers are probably at the stage PL was when at Colchester. When it looked as if it was a case of taking the shackles off they seemed ideal but now I am not so sure. Can they come in and deal with some experienced players who need to be cajoled

and organised? Lambert has the experience and had the playing career that one or two of them might respect too.

2 minutes ago, Hack-Abusi said:

Whenever Lamber was mentioned recently i facepalmed .. honestly. I always thought he was a guff manager from his time at Villa

HOWEVER .. @frastheowl made a very good and pertinent (right word?) post about why Lambert would be a good choice for manager and because of this i've changed my mind about him and don't think he's as bad as I always thought.

Bring him in and this squad will get a rocket up their backsides thats for sure, and they sure as hell need that. Football could be decent and he definitely has a point to prove given his recent experiences with Blackburn and Wolves

Good point, has experience of a relegation fight, promotions on his CV, a point to prove and speaks the players language (Scottish). In our situation, he is starting to tick more of the boxes we would assume need ticking.

1 hour ago, Dooogs said:

Shudder. Getting rid of CC was the right thing to do but anyone claiming that he was "the worst ever Wednesday manager" clearly hadn't seen us under Irvine or Yorath (or, further back, Eustace)...

Don’t think any of them had the cash that CC had it his disposal

1 hour ago, shezzas left peg said:

Works for me,

British,

Bags of experience, 

Knows the league inside out. 

No nonsense 

Likes to give youth a chance and brings them through and improves them. 

Is he an attack minded manager from what you know? Does he have a reputation of not taking any crap from his players? I hope so because they are 2 things i really feed we need.

9 minutes ago, striker said:

Good point, has experience of a relegation fight, promotions on his CV, a point to prove and speaks the players language (Scottish). In our situation, he is starting to tick more of the boxes we would assume need ticking.

I think of the “realistics” Lambert is my choice, my only concern is the language issue, it was difficult enough understanding Carlos FFS !

lol

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Big Ron's Sovereign said:

Can you explain why that is any way relevant?

Its massively relevant. We need someone who understands this division; understands our transfer market; and has a network of,people close by ready to jump on board. DC or our new CEO don’t have this, we need someone who does. Either a DoF or preferably the manager. It’s called experience. It isn’t anything to do with race or religion.

Edited by Pieman
  • Haha 1

Think Lambert will be very wary about taking the Wednesday job. He was sacked by Wolves after a rift with the Chinese owners about the influence of Portuguese agent Jorge Mendes' involvement in player recruitment.

That, compounded by appointment of Karien (aka Night) Meire will set his alarm bells ringing.

Once bitten and all that...

2 hours ago, George said:

Did well at Norwich.

Fired at Wolves.

He wasn’t fired at Wolves he quit because of Mendes dictating signings to him 

40 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Is he an attack minded manager from what you know? Does he have a reputation of not taking any crap from his players? I hope so because they are 2 things i really feed we need.

In an ideal situation I think he is very much so. Remember his Colchester side hammered Norwich 7–1 which got him the job there the next week. His Norwich side then returned the favour 5-0 at Colchester. They went up twice. 

There has been a lot of water under the bridge since then and he has probably had to be more pragmatic and play on the counter. We drew 0-0 with his Wolves side last season but I seem to remember they could’ve beaten us soundly.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38433106

Edited by Bluesteel