Sheffield Wednesday fan banned for life for racism

5 hours ago, robowl4life said:

If you read it correctly you’d see I wasn’t comparing him to the Yorkshire Ripper. I think it’s you who needs to take the beer goggles off. 

“You’d think he’s Peter Sutcliffe”  Not sure how much more of a comparative text is required. No matter how you attempt to minimise his actions they are indefensible and abhorrent ☹️

Fans chant cruel things.

In recent years I have heard Wednesday fans chant about Jimmy Saville at Leeds fans. Sing songs celebrating the Yorkshire Ripper. Chant about holding hands to Brighton fans.

All unacceptable. Where do we draw the line? 

10 minutes ago, heppers said:

Fans chant cruel things.

In recent years I have heard Wednesday fans chant about Jimmy Saville at Leeds fans. Sing songs celebrating the Yorkshire Ripper. Chant about holding hands to Brighton fans.

All unacceptable. Where do we draw the line? 

The French

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TommyCraig said:

Why not just ban Stone Island wearers, have you ever met one that didn't need banning?

The ban is correct in this day and age, he should know better regardless of age. Was there only him chanting it? Find that hard to believe.

Can anyone remember the Man Utd disaster chant. That was nasty and cruel and the only one I've ever objected to inside the ground, early nineties. Worse in my opinion but probably wouldn't get arrested because I can't think of a law it would break.

Lot of my mates wear stone Island, do nothing but go to games with a few drinks and have a laugh, Not one of them has committed any offence.

While we'e at it we should ban judgmental pillaks.

Off you trot.

Edited by Ryan the owl
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Wednesday Fan said:

“You’d think he’s Peter Sutcliffe”  Not sure how much more of a comparative text is required. No matter how you attempt to minimise his actions they are indefensible and abhorrent ☹️

If you put into context the rest of what I said you’ll find I’m not comparing him to Sutcliffe. Neither am I defending his actions. 

I am not black nor brown so I have no idea what it is to endure racism but I doubt that there is anyone alive today who thinks that it's an acceptable practice. We might have come some way in dealing with the problem but whilst we are still hearing of such cases, we still have a long way to go.

Going back to the 1970s, when we had to bring in legislation, you would still see the handwritten signs on rented property and the club membership rules that blatantly and unfairly discriminated against non-whites. There were even popular networked prime time TV programmes that dismissed racist content as entertainment. People would be turned away from jobs because they had the wrong skin colour. Practically every walk of life was tarnished by this attitude.

The older generations, taught in a time of empire that divided and conquered, have had to unlearn all the nonsense that was institutional then. When education didn't work, we now have the law to come down on the unreasonable minority - young and old - who persist in celebrating their racist views.

We should always challenge that behaviour. No excuses.

5 minutes ago, Musn't Grumble said:

I am not black nor brown so I have no idea what it is to endure racism but I doubt that there is anyone alive today who thinks that it's an acceptable practice. We might have come some way in dealing with the problem but whilst we are still hearing of such cases, we still have a long way to go.

Going back to the 1970s, when we had to bring in legislation, you would still see the handwritten signs on rented property and the club membership rules that blatantly and unfairly discriminated against non-whites. There were even popular networked prime time TV programmes that dismissed racist content as entertainment. People would be turned away from jobs because they had the wrong skin colour. Practically every walk of life was tarnished by this attitude.

The older generations, taught in a time of empire that divided and conquered, have had to unlearn all the nonsense that was institutional then. When education didn't work, we now have the law to come down on the unreasonable minority - young and old - who persist in celebrating their racist views.

Perfectly said

Owlstalk Shop

42 minutes ago, Ryan the owl said:

Lot of my mates wear stone Island, do nothing but go to games with a few drinks and have a laugh, Not one of them has committed any offence.

While we'e at it we should ban judgmental pillaks.

Off you trot.

Well I said it tongue-in-cheek but now I mean it. 

45 minutes ago, Musn't Grumble said:

Agree with what you’re saying.

BUT anyone can be subject to racism not just if you’re “black or brown”. I’m a white English male and I’ve been subject to a lot of racial abuse during my life including in this country, in fact more so in parts of this country than anywhere else in the world. It works both ways.

Back in my school days there was only one mixed race lad in the school, his dad was ex forces and had married a Ceylonese lady. However I soon noticed that pupils of certain religions were excluded from the horrendously boring morning assembly, they played chess and other board games. A little research soon revealed that the majority of the excluded were Roman Catholics with some other minority Christian faiths, So after deep thought I declared myself as being Jewish as the Catholics would have shopped me had I declared myself to be one of them, this did not go quite the way I had hoped as I got a thick ear and detention. Not to be daunted I listened to the doorstep preaching of a Jehovah’s Witness and decided that this was worth a go, unluckily the teacher officiating at the exclusion class knew that my mother worked for the Blood Transfusion Service, which somewhat scuppered my plan. Sadly I had no luck with my quest, but am sure that my efforts stood me in good stead as the rest of my life unfolded.

• Haha 4

11 hours ago, qantas said:

I’m just saying the word ‘Paki’ in itself shouldn’t always be looked on as being racist which I believe it is these days.

Why do you think the word paki in itself shouldn't always be looked on as being racist? 

I'm curious to know, as that comment is absolute horseshit. 

1 minute ago, Ronio said:

Why do you think the word paki in itself shouldn't always be looked on as being racist? 

I'm curious to know, as that comment is absolute horseshit. 

He’s Australian - the context of that particular word may be different out there.

That said, most Australians I’ve met have been racist as roger, so the context may not be that different.

I move a lot of concrete on the QVC.

1 minute ago, Costello 77 said:

Aussie?

FFS.

Shortening of the word "Australian" Costello...Like "Brit" or...Ohh aye...

"Paki"...but historically no-one has ever sang "We're goin' Aussie/Brit bashin'" have they?

So I think its the connatation of the word "Paki" that harks back to those days...

6 hours ago, Neal M said:

Entering Hillsborough after being banned by the club could constitute trespass. Which since 1994 has also carried the possibility of criminal convictions in England & Wales (not just civil actions).

So you don’t need a ban from the courts to prosecute. If an individual who is banned by the club enters Hillsborough, and if the club has CCTV evidence of that fact, the club could pass that evidence to the police and criminal charges could be brought.

Cheers, you live and learn.