Sheffield Wednesday fan banned for life for racism

4 minutes ago, Big Ron's Sovereign said:

The “reclamation” keeps the word in people’s vocab. If its offensive then it shouldn’t be said by anybody. How the flip can somebody kick off about somebody saying it and then repeat the same word themselves?!

I suppose because a black bloke calling a black bloke the "N" word is as much insulting himself...whereas a white bloke......

I presume thats it...

Edited by asteener1867

Circa 30 years ago a Sheffield headteacher mate told me the following, that the L,E,A had advised all Sheffield headteachers that none white people were black. The stupidity of this was that Greeks were classified a being ‘none white’, so were black by default, however I recently discovered that Latino Mexicans and Cubans are classed as being ‘none white’ in the USA, the southern states knuckle draggers will love this.

WTF:

9 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

I am saddened by this thread.

It's like people are falling over themselves to try and cling onto the right to be racist

There you go again...no one in this thread is clinging to anything of the kind.

Everybody, as I've read it, thinks the guy in the OP was being racist, nobody has defended him for what he sang on the train....what some people have said, me as much as anyone, is that the word Paki hasn't always been seen as racist & it's origins aren't based on racism but instead was just a shortened version of a country of origin.

Things in the world have changed now, which means that the word IS now deemed to be racist, talking about why that is & how it didn't used to be doesn't mean anyone is clinging on to it so as to carry on some sort of subtle racist campaign.

In short....I wouldn't use it today BUT, when I did use it years ago it wasn't meant to be racist.....I don't think it's "sad" to talk about how that's come about.