Sheffield Wednesday fan banned for life for racism

2 hours ago, Ronio said:

Why do you think the word paki in itself shouldn't always be looked on as being racist? 

I suppose it's all about context & when & how it's used....when I was growing up in Sheffield the term Paki wasn't meant to be abusive & as far as I know in the circles I lived in it wasn't.

Paki or Pakies is a shortened version of Pakistani, it's the same as Aussie or any other number of shortened down terms for where someone is deemed to be from, like a nickname really, like I said, I get called Pommie a lot over here, is it racist?, I personally don't feel it is.

I understand that the world we live in now is super sensitive about words & about how they are used, I do think the way in which the fella in the OP said/sang it was meant to be racist & so it was racist....I guess even Pommie if said in a certain way or context could even be racist....political correctness amongst other things has made sure the world has lurched this way, meaning some shortened down words for where a person hails from is now ALWAYS deemed as being unacceptable...Paki is probably the best example of this but it wasn't always that way.

2 hours ago, Neal M said:

He’s Australian - the context of that particular word may be different out there.

That said, most Australians I’ve met have been racist as roger, so the context may not be that different.

Just so you know, I'm not Australian, I'm born & bred in Sheffield.

It's unfortunate that most Australians you've met are racist....in my experience Australians are no different in that respect to any other group I've come  across.....about the context of that particular word, I'm not really sure anymore what it is out here these days, the examples I used earlier in the thread were from some time ago, a time when context about that particular word wasn't even a thought process, well I guess it is now, I don't hear it anymore & I certainly wouldn't use it purely & simply because of how PC is clogging up the way society operates, meaning that people that come from Pakistan probably are insulted by such things now & I wouldn't want to insult anybody if I can help it....it's still alright to call me a Pommie though....thank goodness.

3 hours ago, asteener1867 said:

"Paki"...but historically no-one has ever sang "We're goin' Aussie/Brit bashin'" have they?

Maybe not in England mate but it has here....there was what is now an infamous incident here a few years ago where that exact circumstance followed by an actual bashing sparked a massive riot at Cronulla in Sydney.....a group of Lebanese fella's(gulp, I nearly said Lebo then)bashed some Aussie life savers cos they were Aussie(according to some witnesses)....some very ugly scenes followed & tensions were high for a few days & still is on the anniversary of it.

5 hours ago, robowl4life said:

If you put into context the rest of what I said you’ll find I’m not comparing him to Sutcliffe. Neither am I defending his actions. 

Indeed I  have read your post and your categorisation of this type of offending as ‘low level’ attempts to minimise the offending and displays a lack of empathy and appreciation of ethical diversity issues. 

You were the one who offered the name Peter Sutcliffe as a comparative figure, so it is a reasonable consequence to assume you are comparing the offender with him. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Wednesday Fan said:

Indeed I  have read your post and your categorisation of this type of offending as ‘low level’ attempts to minimise the offending and displays a lack of empathy and appreciation of ethical diversity issues. 

You were the one who offered the name Peter Sutcliffe as a comparative figure, so it is a reasonable consequence to assume you are comparing the offender with him. 

I think you need to re-read the whole post. You’ll then realise I was talking about the reactions of people on here. 

I dread to think what you think a murderer or a peadophile is in terms of serious offending.

You’ve clearly lived a very sheltered life if you think it was a high level of offending.  

The blokes done wrong, been caught and got his deserved punishment... but let’s stone the c##t to death instead. 

52 minutes ago, robowl4life said:

I think you need to re-read the whole post. You’ll then realise I was talking about the reactions of people on here. 

I dread to think what you think a murderer or a peadophile is in terms of serious offending.

You’ve clearly lived a very sheltered life if you think it was a high level of offending.  

The blokes done wrong, been caught and got his deserved punishment... but let’s stone the c##t to death instead. 

Are there any women here today? 

5 hours ago, asteener1867 said:

Shortening of the word "Australian" Costello...Like "Brit" or...Ohh aye...

"Paki"...but historically no-one has ever sang "We're goin' Aussie/Brit bashin'" have they?

So I think its the connatation of the word "Paki" that harks back to those days...

It’s still a shorter version of country’s name.

Is calling somebody from Scotland a Scot racist? A Brit? Dane? Aussie?

Just because some Neanderthals use the P word derogatory does not make it racist for everybody else.

I spend half my life in Ireland, have Irish relatives etc. When I’m in England, many people refer to my friends, family and myself (even though I’m English) as Micks, Paddy’s etc but this doesn’t get deemed as racist ...

5 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

The first time I ever heard that word was when I was about 9 or 10 years old.
And it was a Pakistani girl that said it . 
She arrived at our house one day (Her father and mine were pals) and while the adults were chatting and we were running around she just came out with it. 
"My parents want me to marry a Paki." 

Funny how somethings stay with you. 

Yet I couldn't even remember what day it was this morning. 

Were you in Rita, Sue and Bob too?

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, raljex said:

My favourite post ever. Be racist as roger towards the people that society deems ok eh Neal? Why not think for yourself rather than putting labels on people?

Not putting labels on anybody.  I’m not saying it’s all Australians who behave that way. Just too many of the ones I have met. Simply putting forward my experiences. And my experiences are far from unique. It was a very common complaint when I lived in London, and when I have traveled in Asia. Sorry if you are offended but take it up with the Australian Ex-patriots and tourists who do their country such a disservice.

I move a lot of concrete on the QVC.

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

The number of replies in this thread trying everything they can to argue for racism tells you just how far we have to go in order to eradicate it completely

lol

"everything they can to argue for racism"

Interesting take on the thread, would you like to clarify, specify?

39 minutes ago, Neal M said:

Not putting labels on anybody.  I’m not saying it’s all Australians who behave that way. Just too many of the ones I have met. Simply putting forward my experiences. And my experiences are far from unique. It was a very common complaint when I lived in London, and when I have traveled in Asia. Sorry if you are offended but take it up with the Australian Ex-patriots and tourists who do their country such a disservice.

Dissing an entire nation based on a few you’ve met is racist.

I’ve met quite a few Aussies in my time and genuinely they have to be the best type of people I’ve ever met.

29 minutes ago, Big Ron's Sovereign said:

Dissing an entire nation based on a few you’ve met is racist.

Except.... I haven’t done that.

Edited by Neal M

I move a lot of concrete on the QVC.