Marco Matias

1 hour ago, ramone said:

People blind faith in this guy is baffling. Barely kicked a ball for 2 years. When he has, he's been awful. As someone said earlier, 5 great seconds in 2 years. He's certainly not the answer and certainly the most unreliable player in the squad. 

Should be shown the door. Would have rather get him off the wage bill and bring in a replacement 

While it would be daft to expect great things from Matias based on what little we've seen so far. It's not daft to be open minded and hope we see the kind of form from him that got him noticed in the first place.

Writing him off, based on little evidence, is baffling.

10 hours ago, paulrs said:

Have we ever had a player who after two very poor seasons suddenly came good in the third..? And that's not counting very young players that were still developing.

Just wondering. 

He hasn't had two poor seasons though, he's been injured. The few times I've seen him play in his first season and last pre-season he's shown himself to have enough quality for a good Championship team.

Whether it's worth considering him in our plans for next season is another matter entirely though. I'd suggest we shouldn't be planning for him to play given how frequently/long he's been injured. I'm not the club doctor though, so if he's just been unlucky with injuries and there's nothing inherently wrong with him then there's every chance he *could* be one of our most important players next year. Seems doubtful at this stage though, to put it lightly.

If he is going to play Carlos will have to go to a 433 or similar. I still think Carlos wanted to to a similar system last pre season that's why we bought Abdi.. last hope both Matthias and Abdi can come good for us next season

44 minutes ago, York_Owl said:

One of a number of players we have signed who is more suited to a 4-3-3 yet we play a 4-4-2 in which he doesn't really fit in.

28 minutes ago, Jakes Grandad said:

If he is going to play Carlos will have to go to a 433 or similar. I still think Carlos wanted to to a similar system last pre season that's why we bought Abdi.. last hope both Matthias and Abdi can come good for us next season

I'd say that If you can't play in a 442, you probably can't play in a 433. They're just numbers for a team sheet really.

22 hours ago, beloved_aunt said:

Lots of talk about our need to sign a good attacking winger this summer, but could the answer be closer to home?

MM's Wednesday career has been really hurt by injury but he has shown unbelievable class at times (goal vs Leeds the prime example) and did score 17 in 32 in the Portuguese top flight the season before we signed him, which was a bit of a coup at the time.

Could he step up next season with a full pre-season under his belt? 

Yep he shinned it and got lucky

I actually feel sorry for the lad. you can't say he wanted to waste a wage and get injured it was just so very unfortunate. he was looking bobbar hot in pre season from all accounts. in the Fulham game yes was a silly poorly timed tackle but you could see he has pace in abundance and was constantly looking for the forward ball and making positive runs. he needs confidence and he needs our support. you do not go to a bobbar player overnight. he needs games and I am sure he will come good. I have a feeling we won't be making too many signings this summer as we have so many players coming back to full fitness it's like having a new squad....Abdi, Lee, matias, hooper, preseason and increased fitness from rhodes, Wallace and Hutchinson etc WAWAW

45 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Id still love to see FF Joao Matias as a front 3 at some point. I think the win against Benfica in pre season was the only game they've played together. 

Very definitely this. Sadly, I think our return to a more cautious 4-4-2 has put question marks against the future of players like Matias