Marco Matias

29 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

We look a very limited side but probably have enough good players, and strength in depth, to still be in with a chance. I suppose there are no guarantees playing any other system, would have actually made us more successful It might though, have been a lot more entertaining

I think that's my main issue with our current set up, we really seem to struggle to build good attacks. Everything's a major slog and we struggle to control possession. 

The extra man in midfield makes a huge huge difference in that aspect. You look at a team like Huddersfield who do play that system, they press high, win the ball back often and control possession. Very good, well drilled team. The one thing thing they lack is the killer instinct. 

We have more quality in attack, but we don't create the best environment for them to excel, and I think that's primarily down to playing a pretty rigid 442.

Edited by IstillhateSteveBould

59 minutes ago, York_Owl said:

Would love to see that too with a central three of Abdi, Lee and someone like Mooy behind them.

Play Abdi in a central 3 and teams would walk through us in the middle of the park as he doesnt work hard enough, as for Mattias, hes not good enough for a top 6 championship team. Never fit and crap when he is, cant dine off that goal against leeds anymore im afraid!

41 minutes ago, chizumgeorge said:

Play Abdi in a central 3 and teams would walk through us in the middle of the park as he doesnt work hard enough, as for Mattias, hes not good enough for a top 6 championship team. Never fit and crap when he is, cant dine off that goal against leeds anymore im afraid!

Re Matias, the fitness issue is fair comment However, I'd argue he's produced more in his limited game time than Reach has done so far, and at a fraction of the cost. It is no good though, if he isn't fit enough to play

3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Re Matias, the fitness issue is fair comment However, I'd argue he's produced more in his limited game time than Reach has done so far, and at a fraction of the cost. It is no good though, if he isn't fit enough to play

I dont rate reach either but he will track back to help his full back out or cover for him, Mattias doesnt

15 minutes ago, chizumgeorge said:

I dont rate reach either but he will track back to help his full back out or cover for him, Mattias doesnt

Exactly why Carlos won't play him in a

4-4-2. Unless Carlos has plans for him to be a played further forward next season then he will be off.

If someone comes in for Matias then by all means explore it. But my issue with him has been work rate and physicality. In the brief glimpses last season he looked well up for the fight and perhaps he's worth a look after a full pre season. He's clearly got a fair bit of technique 

34 minutes ago, chizumgeorge said:

At first he didn't, but in the games since I've noticed him more for his grafting and tackling than much else 

13 hours ago, WTF said:

What do you mean?

He's been paid a fair amount of money and has spent almost all of his time injured. Perhaps he is unlucky with the injuries, some players are just built like that. Either way we shouldn't have players that are so injury prone on the payroll.

15 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Limited game time; apart from a wonder goal against Leeds Matias has been rubbish.  Although Reach hasn't set the world on fire in his first season, he has played over 40 games and done a good job most of the time either at LB, LM or LW.  Give me Reach every day of the week.

Carlos didn't use Matias this season or last even when he was fit because he isn't good enough. We really need to get rid of him along with his mate Joao, neither are going to do anything here. 

Theres someone posting on this thread who was adamant Joao and Matias would score 20+ goals each this season. lol

He's stolen a living off of us for 2 years now and like others have said, it's nailed on we'll see him for a couple of pre-season friendlies when the sun's out then he'll get another "injury".

It's amazing how some players when they're out become so much better in people's minds than they actually are. Does anyone seriously think it would be wise to build a promotion side against a player with his injury record? It would be absolute suicide. He's scored one goal against Leeds and that's it. I was prepared to gve him one last chance and was really hoping he's play a blinder against Fulham and look what he did. That was it for me.

And as for those who say he's been unlucky with injures I would ask you to consider this. If Semedo, Lee, Hutch, Bannan or Loovens had those same injuires do you honestly believe they'd have spent the same amount of time on the sidelines? Absolutley no way. He hasn't got the heart for the English game and we will never see him playing Satruday-Tuesday-Saturday-Tuesday.

We need to get rid of him by whaever means we can and free up his wages for a player that will actually contribute. We can't afford to carry passengers like this where we're constrained by FFP in the way we are.