Marco Matias

40 minutes ago, beloved_aunt said:

He was also a victim of Carlos's early conversion to 4-4-2.  Was brought it to play as part of a front 3 cutting in from the left and has had to work at doing more tracking back in a 4-4-2 but I still do think he can come good. 

This.^^

Summed up perfectly.

He's very much the new breed of wide player used to being given attacking freedom.

Got to remember this guy was in the top 30 players in the world for the golden boot the year before we signed him, class is permanent and i believe he could be a real game changer for us if he can stay fit.

Edited by Daizan10
I want to

1 hour ago, OxonOwl said:

Is he suspended for the first two games?

First game, which will be the 3rd game of his ban following the two Huddersfield games.

He's undoubtedly got talent,  but now that we've got Reach and Forestieri who both play on the left I just don't see where Matias fits in other than as a possible impact sub.

50 minutes ago, Daizan10 said:

Got to remember this guy was in the top 30 players in the world for the golden boot the year before we signed him, class is permanent and i believe he could be a real game changer for us if he can stay fit.

Ronaldo was the only Portuguese player to score more goals in a European top flight league season in the last year before we signed him.  Must have something. 

Just now, alanharper said:

First game, which will be the 3rd game of his ban following the two Huddersfield games.

He's undoubtedly got talent,  but now that we've got Reach and Forestieri who both play on the left I just don't see where Matias fits in other than as a possible impact sub.

Its a 50+ game season. We'll need lots of decent players to rotate. 

1 hour ago, bigash_swfc said:

Waited too long to see the best of Matias, Joao, Abdi and Forestieri in the same team. Doubt it will happen.

Would be surprised if they're all in the same postcode district again, never mind team. 

5 minutes ago, beloved_aunt said:

Ronaldo was the only Portuguese player to score more goals in a European top flight league season in the last year before we signed him.  Must have something. 

Yep, it's called a purple patch.

1 hour ago, paulrs said:

Have we ever had a player who after two very poor seasons suddenly came good in the third..? And that's not counting very young players that were still developing.

Just wondering. 

Two poor seasons in terms of form and two poor seasons in terms of injuries are entirely different. If he was coming off two poor seasons in terms of form I would doubt very much he could come good third time round but injuries different. Checked his record and its only his time here where he has been affected by injury  so stranger things have happened.

11 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Ha! I can't count. Thanks

1 hour ago, Bexy1977 said:

I've said before he can only play if it's a back 3.

to fit him in it would almost be a 

formation, so we'd need a really strong centre mid. (I'd push Hutch into the back 3)

that woukd allow Lee, Bannan and Abdi to rotate with a new ball winner and Jones and back up.

Westwood

Lees.     Hutchinson.    New CB

New Ball Winner

Lee/Bannan/Abdi.  2 from 3

Matias.                              Fessi

Hooper

Rhodes 

subs

wildsmith

loovens

jones

one of the 3 left out

fletcher

winnal

rotation (Hunt, Pudil, Fox, Reach, Wallace) depending on opposition and needs.

i refuse to believe that defensively this would work

2 minutes ago, stocksyuto said:

Matias had a great preseason he showed real promise and i was genuinely excited to see him play in the league but then he got injured in his last preseason friendly and that was the end of that 

I would not be surprised to see very similar this summer - some promising performances in friendlies then probably sustain a minor injury in the league cup first round defeat at Carlisle which somehow takes 4 months to recover from. 

People blind faith in this guy is baffling. Barely kicked a ball for 2 years. When he has, he's been awful. As someone said earlier, 5 great seconds in 2 years. He's certainly not the answer and certainly the most unreliable player in the squad. 

Should be shown the door. Would have rather get him off the wage bill and bring in a replacement 

3 hours ago, Bexy1977 said:

I've said before he can only play if it's a back 3.

to fit him in it would almost be a 

formation, so we'd need a really strong centre mid. (I'd push Hutch into the back 3)

that woukd allow Lee, Bannan and Abdi to rotate with a new ball winner and Jones and back up.

Westwood

Lees.     Hutchinson.    New CB

New Ball Winner

Lee/Bannan/Abdi.  2 from 3

Matias.                              Fessi

Hooper

Rhodes 

subs

wildsmith

loovens

jones

one of the 3 left out

fletcher

winnal

rotation (Hunt, Pudil, Fox, Reach, Wallace) depending on opposition and needs.

That could work well...

As long as the opposition don't play with wingers or want to attack us.