Marco Matias

1 hour ago, Internationowl said:

I'd say that If you can't play in a 442, you probably can't play in a 433. They're just numbers for a team sheet really.

That's an interesting point. My argument would be that in the wide positions playing in a 4-4-2 you have to be good at defending and attacking, tracking their wide player or pressing their fullback when they have possession etc. In a 4-3-3 you have a bit more licence to attack as you have got the extra man in midfield to cover you.

I would have loved to see us line up with a front three of Matias, Forestieri and Joao, but for lots of different reasons, we've moved away from that situation It's a shame because those three, to me anyway, offer so many more possibilities, then a front four of Wallace, Fletcher, Rhodes and Reach. I've left Hooper out, because he could probably play in both formations.

While I understand the reasons for going with the tried and tested championship ready players, I sometimes think it is a bit of a backward step. When you see, for example, the movement and fluidity in Fulham going forward, we seem extremely predictable by comparison 

Edited by gurujuan

2 minutes ago, York_Owl said:

That's an interesting point. My argument would be that in the wide positions playing in a 4-4-2 you have to be good at defending and attacking, tracking their wide player or pressing their fullback when they have possession etc. In a 4-3-3 you have a bit more licence to attack as you have got the extra man in midfield to cover you.

I know what you're saying, but any half decent professional playing in a top 3 will also defend and do a lot of defensive work.. 433 often becomes 451 without the ball etc. I'm not one for reading too much into formations.

Surely if you're not fit enough, can only play in 1 or 2 formations, can't defend (which basically means you can't be bothered to run) you shouldn't be playing football for a living. Some of which I'm sure Carlos would say is true of Mcgugan. Matias, who knows? But he looked ok to me vs fulham before he got himself sent off.. come to think of it.. because he couldn't be bothered to run.

looks like a fair weather player and goes missing in the important months for whatever reason. Fully fit he may be an option in a wide right to compete with Wallace who we'll need to see if he remains CC's first team choice. if so, he's battling for a place on the bench or waiting for injuries

40 minutes ago, Internationowl said:

I know what you're saying, but any half decent professional playing in a top 3 will also defend and do a lot of defensive work.. 433 often becomes 451 without the ball etc. I'm not one for reading too much into formations.

Surely if you're not fit enough, can only play in 1 or 2 formations, can't defend (which basically means you can't be bothered to run) you shouldn't be playing football for a living. Some of which I'm sure Carlos would say is true of Mcgugan. Matias, who knows? But he looked ok to me vs fulham before he got himself sent off.. come to think of it.. because he couldn't be bothered to run.

Don't think there is anything in Matias's game that means he can't play in a 4-4-2, he's done ok in the rare appearances he's made, playing in that system. It's just that, he offers so much more in the other systems. Fitness is certainly an issue with him, but sadly, that would be the case, whatever system he was asked to play. If you're not fit, you're not fit

Very good points, agree that you still have defensive duties as a wide forward in a 4-3-3. My point is that some players such as Matias and Forestieri for that matter are more suited to playing in one formation rather than another not necessarily that they can't play in a 4-4-2.

50 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Id still love to see FF Joao Matias as a front 3 at some point. I think the win against Benfica in pre season was the only game they've played together. 

Would love to see that too with a central three of Abdi, Lee and someone like Mooy behind them.

1 hour ago, York_Owl said:

Very good points, agree that you still have defensive duties as a wide forward in a 4-3-3. My point is that some players such as Matias and Forestieri for that matter are more suited to playing in one formation rather than another not necessarily that they can't play in a 4-4-2.

I think I would rather keep players up and dont have them tracking back at all. attack all the way next season for me. I don't want defensive records I want goal scoring ones

Mattias would come into his own in a 4-4-3 formation, on a nice sunny day, against poor opposition. 

If we'd signed this lad from Frickley, and he was called Derek Thompson, fans would have written him off months ago. 

1 minute ago, vulva said:

Mattias would come into his own in a 4-4-3 formation, on a nice sunny day, against poor opposition. 

If we'd signed this lad from Frickley, and he was called Derek Thompson, fans would have written him off months ago. 

How many did Thompson get in the Primeira Liga?

6 minutes ago, vulva said:

Pigs at home in August; Matias hatrick :manager:

39 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Tbh I reckon Abdi could be our Mooy. I think another Hutch is what we need for the times he's out injured/suspended. 

A system that could incorporate the talents of Abdi, and bring out the best in Matias and Forestieri, is probably something we're not like to see any time soon. We seem wedded to a 4-4-2 system now, and the signings of Winnall and Rhodes, have only confirmed that. A shame in my opinion

17 minutes ago, vulva said:

17 minutes ago, vulva said:

See no reason why he couldn't do it against decent opposition when it's raining cats and dogs.

He finds space, good at arriving late in the box, can find a pass and knows where the net is. 

Yes, it's been frustrating having a player injured for so long, but that's the way of a footballer and football.  I'm sure that he's frustrated more than any fan is.

There has been an undercurrent of criticism aimed at him that he's not bothered about playing and is happy just to pick up his wages, I wonder if those fans would have aimed the same criticism at Hutchinson when he was injured at Chelsea.

I'm sure that there is a very decent player there and hopefully once he has a few games under his belt will prove his detractors wrong.

Edited by Holmes

39 minutes ago, Holmes said:

See no reason why he couldn't do it against decent opposition when it's raining cats and dogs.

He finds space, good at arriving late in the box, can find a pass and knows where the net is. 

Yes, it's been frustrating having a player injured for so long, but that's the way of a footballer and football.  I'm sure that he's frustrated more than any fan is.

There has been an undercurrent of criticism aimed at him that he's not bothered about playing and is happy just to pick up his wages, I wonder if those fans would have aimed the same criticism at Hutchinson when he was injured at Chelsea.

I'm sure that there is a very decent player there and hopefully once he has a few games under his belt will prove his detractors wrong.

Yes hopefully, well said

8 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

A system that could incorporate the talents of Abdi, and bring out the best in Matias and Forestieri, is probably something we're not like to see any time soon. We seem wedded to a 4-4-2 system now, and the signings of Winnall and Rhodes, have only confirmed that. A shame in my opinion

Agree it is a shame.

Carlos has done well to make 442 work (to an extent) but I have my doubts that we can get promotion playing that system.

41 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Agree it is a shame.

Carlos has done well to make 442 work (to an extent) but I have my doubts that we can get promotion playing that system.

We look a very limited side but probably have enough good players, and strength in depth, to still be in with a chance. I suppose there are no guarantees playing any other system, would have actually made us more successful It might though, have been a lot more entertaining

Edited by gurujuan